The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

6 posts Page 1 of 1
A question about almond milk
21 Sep 2013, 09:44
Morning everyone!

Just a quick question regarding almond milk. I bought the product about four weeks ago, but only used a splash and have since left it in its container in the fridge. I just sniffed it and it smelt fine, so used it in my scrambled eggs instead of cow's milk (it tasted just as good, for just a tiny percentage of the calories and fat!) - is this ok? I know it says to use it within five days of opening but it smelt and tasted fine...?
It won't kill you but it the oils have probably gone rancid by now. If you only use small quantities, a cheat way is to take a big spoon of almond butter, add water and blend. The butter lasts longer in the jar and you can make it to the consistency you like (and sweetness if you like it sweet). :clover:
Personally, I would use it up fast or chuck it. Buy a smaller one next time. I found it a bit weird but managed to use 1ltr in about a fortnight.
I am really getting into almond milk as an alternative to soy. I have the long life one. I think you can even make your own with blanched almonds or almond meal, just google for recipe
Can you freeze almond milk like you can with cows milk? You could divide it up into smaller containers and defrost (by leaving out on the side) as and when needed.
I use the long life one and it seems to keep for ages - I go on the taste. I have the Morrisons own brand at the moment which is brown which was a bit off putting to begin with but I've got used to it.
I keep thinkung I will try making iced coffee with it but not getting round to it - maybe next summer now?
6 posts Page 1 of 1