The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

17 posts Page 1 of 2
A question
22 Feb 2014, 06:11
In had my first fast yesterday. I have found today I am really not very hungry at all.

Is this normal? did anyone else experience this? I am normally really hungry all the time. I like this feeling!
Re: A question
22 Feb 2014, 06:15
It is not an uncommon feeling. It's why a lot of 5:2ers transition to 16:8 on non fast days. Congrats on your first successful fast!
22 Feb 2014, 06:23
GoLinda wrote: It is not an uncommon feeling. It's why a lot of 5:2ers transition to 16:8 on non fast days. Congrats on your first successful fast!

I am doing 4:3 :victory:

How do people do 16:8?
22 Feb 2014, 06:34
They only eat within an 8 hour window each day...maybe 11-7 or 12-8. There is a whole thread devoted to this I believe.
22 Feb 2014, 07:37
I find I have days that are better than others so don't be surprised if you do get a day when you feel ravenous... just keep drinking lots of water. The other thing is that now you've had your first successful day, when you are having a not-so-good one, you can say to yourself "I CAN do this, I've done it before....."
22 Feb 2014, 10:37
:heart: Hi @Carley Yes the same for me as you've said right from day one I noticed it and did 3 days that week not knowing that 4:3 existed lol, shortly afterwards my normal days became more like 18:6 that's my routine now expect from "special" occasion where I fast all day then eat + drink whatever I want knowing I'll be very close to my TDEE.
:clover: Good Luck. :heart: Sue
22 Feb 2014, 11:25
Fairly sure if you're not hungry then you have gone into ketosis. Tis is a good thing as you are fat burning. A good start.
22 Feb 2014, 21:00
It happens to me as well. I am not that far into this journey, but I have already noticed that when I have a good fast day, my next eat day I am not all that hungry! It was very surprising to me at first, but it helps me stay on track on those fast days!

Good luck in your journey!

~flam~
22 Feb 2014, 21:11
Yes I couldn't have put it better than @Domane -some days are better than others but, personally I am finding that I can't eat as much as I used to...it's great! Well done for starting with 4:3, that's pretty impressive. Hey, if you get bored you could always pop your head in the ADF tent! :wink:

All the best

Bean :starving:
22 Feb 2014, 22:16
Most fast days are easy now. I've been at it for 9 months I'm a very slow loser. Check out my tracker! I am a 16.8er as I don't need breakfast anymore. So start eating at lunch then stop within 8hrs. Then do 5.2. I personally find adf and 4.3 hard going. But I've done 4.3 this week.
Good luck to you. You may find it takes a while to find which method suits you best.
22 Feb 2014, 23:33
janeg wrote: Fairly sure if you're not hungry then you have gone into ketosis. Tis is a good thing as you are fat burning. A good start.

Can you explain ketosis to me please?
22 Feb 2014, 23:54
oh goodness, now you're asking! In a nutshell it is when you have used up all your stored glycogen and converted it into glucose and burnt it up - by fasting and/or exercise. It generally takes around 15-24 hours, depending on activity. After that your body has to use something for fuel, and it can't burn fat completely without additional glucose input, so it does something called "beta-oxidation of fatty acids", which produces things called ketone bodies - acetone (nail-polish remover! Yes, truly!) and a couple of others. These typically make you feel not very hungry. But it's a good sign, although it takes a while for the body to adjust to the different fuel, because it means you're burning fat, not muscle protein or glucose. And it's hard to run out of fat as a fuel!!

It's the holy grail of low-carb and low-protein dieters - google Marks daily apple and Peter Attia - they have much more info on it!!

good luck with your fasting!
23 Feb 2014, 01:19
jools7 wrote: oh goodness, now you're asking! In a nutshell it is when you have used up all your stored glycogen and converted it into glucose and burnt it up - by fasting and/or exercise. It generally takes around 15-24 hours, depending on activity. After that your body has to use something for fuel, and it can't burn fat completely without additional glucose input, so it does something called "beta-oxidation of fatty acids", which produces things called ketone bodies - acetone (nail-polish remover! Yes, truly!) and a couple of others. These typically make you feel not very hungry. But it's a good sign, although it takes a while for the body to adjust to the different fuel, because it means you're burning fat, not muscle protein or glucose. And it's hard to run out of fat as a fuel!!

It's the holy grail of low-carb and low-protein dieters - google Marks daily apple and Peter Attia - they have much more info on it!!

good luck with your fasting!

Thank you so much for explaining that!!! I am very grateful. I have heard such bad things about ketosis.
23 Feb 2014, 01:35
oh, I should probably add: ketosis isn't a good thing if you're pregnant, or breast feeding, or a child, or a type 1 diabetic. Hence the recommendation not to fast if you're one of those. Otherwise it's cool - I find it makes me feel quite sharp, mentally.
23 Feb 2014, 01:42
jools7 wrote: oh, I should probably add: ketosis isn't a good thing if you're pregnant, or breast feeding, or a child, or a type 1 diabetic. Hence the recommendation not to fast if you're one of those. Otherwise it's cool - I find it makes me feel quite sharp, mentally.

Woohoo I am not pregnant! No longer breast feeding. Or going to be pregnant again. Nor diabetic. I am safe to go :like:
17 posts Page 1 of 2