The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

14 posts Page 1 of 1
Am I eating wrong??
11 Oct 2013, 19:28
Hi I'm newish to this diet, on my feast days I eat about 200/300 calories less than what my TDEE ( depending which TDEE calculator I have used), my question is I eat quite a few sweet things on my feasting days, as I was under the impression you can eat what ever you want on a feast day as long as you stay with your TDEE, can this make a difference towards loosing weight as when I weighed in the morning after a fast I had gained weight, I'm doing mostly 5.2 , but this wk I've done 4.3, and 16.8, but I'm to scared to get on the scales, I was going to leave the weigh in for another two wks, any help pls, :neutral:
Re: Am I eating wrong??
11 Oct 2013, 19:40
You can eat whatever you want but not as much as you may want. You are new so you will see alot of fluctuations in your weight the first few weeks. You may even find that after awhile your cravings for sweets will diminish, just give it some time. You should eat healthy MOST of the time but that still allows some treats. There are many reasons why the scales may show an increase when you've been very good, Caroress started a really good thread about that, I'll find it and post the link, BRB. :heart: :)
11 Oct 2013, 19:59
Arrrr thankyou so much for your reply I will look at it now, and fingers crossed I will start loosing , thankyou
Smudge
11 Oct 2013, 20:37
Welcome Smudge. Good luck with your journey :clover: :clover:
11 Oct 2013, 22:45
Smudge wrote: Hi I'm newish to this diet, on my feast days I eat about 200/300 calories less than what my TDEE ( depending which TDEE calculator I have used), my question is I eat quite a few sweet things on my feasting days, as I was under the impression you can eat what ever you want on a feast day as long as you stay with your TDEE, can this make a difference towards loosing weight as when I weighed in the morning after a fast I had gained weight, I'm doing mostly 5.2 , but this wk I've done 4.3, and 16.8, but I'm to scared to get on the scales, I was going to leave the weigh in for another two wks, any help pls, :neutral:

Unless your TDEE is 800 to 1200 then 200 to 300 on fast days isnt enough. The average seems to be 500/600 so maybe your TDEE is low.

The amount on a fast day is 1/4 of your TDEE.

Yes you are right you can eat anything on feast days as long as its within TDEE but from a satiety point of view and health most people here will tend to cut the sweets a little. maybe not initially but eventually. my theory on this is that if we have to "suffer" on 2 or 3 days a week why throw it all out the window and not eat healthily on rest of the week. Plus the weight will just fly off.

Never fear the scales. indeed my viewpoint is that it has to be done every day in the morning (many dont agree with me but it works for me) makes you totally in tune with what is happening weight wise and you can immediately see a cause and effect on what happens after a fast or feast day.
12 Oct 2013, 06:49
Good advise here, Smudge. Unlike Juliana, I am not a weigher, monthly if that. I do measure though - everywhere! It is a good indicator too and can be kinder than the scales.!
12 Oct 2013, 14:04
Definitely measure everywhere as janeg says. There will be weeks you gain or stay the same, but measurements go down! Also if you do slide into daily weighing, BE PREPARED! I did, and the weight went up and down by as much as 4 lbs. I usually only counted the one day (Friday or Saturday), and, if you view my tracker, you can see my weight went steadily down, mostly!

Enjoy the journey! :clover:
12 Oct 2013, 17:21
Thankyou all, I will take note of what you have all said and with some good luck will loose weight , x
12 Oct 2013, 21:34
I can't really understand your query, and you seem to have confused Juliana as well.
Fast days are around 500 calories, preferably as one meal in the evening. Feast days should be careful eating days around your TDEE figure. Probably a bit early to be throwing 4:3 and 16:8 into the mix, give 5:2 a decent chance first. If you put your figures into the tracker, and make them public, we would be better able to advise you going forward...
13 Oct 2013, 03:49
CreakyPete wrote: I can't really understand your query, and you seem to have confused Juliana as well.
Fast days are around 500 calories, preferably as one meal in the evening. Feast days should be careful eating days around your TDEE figure. Probably a bit early to be throwing 4:3 and 16:8 into the mix, give 5:2 a decent chance first. If you put your figures into the tracker, and make them public, we would be better able to advise you going forward...

oops i read Smudges original post after youc ommment CreakyPete and realise she said
I eat about 200/300 calories less than what my TDEE ... on feast days.

that has me thinking. if you do eat less on your "feast days" can you be a little more easy with yourself on fast days. e.g. instead of say 500 say you can have and extra 100 or 150 calories on that day?
13 Oct 2013, 06:16
Hi Smudge,

For the first month of following 5:2, I did just that. I kept to 500 calories a day limit on fast days and up to my TDEE on feast days. I also recorded everything on MFP (foodtracker) to evaluate portion size and calories for the first month. Even though my TDEE is low and indicates I can have between 312-500 cals on a fast day, I have always stuck to 500 per day.

I find that a small lunch and evening meal suits me whereas others are happier having one meal or no meal at all on a fast day. On feast days I don't have a set 'start time' to eat - my first meal takes place when I am hungry. However I never eat anything after 8pm as that suits my digestive system.

It takes a while to work out what suits you and suits your body eg I don't have fixed fast days, I just make sure I do two in any seven days and this works round my social life - I don't actually feel I am on a diet or restricted.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing your progress.
13 Oct 2013, 09:09
Thanks for your replys, I aso used mfp on fasting and a couple of days a wk on feasting to keep an eye on calories, I keep looking at the TDEE calculators and I'm weiry to use up all my calories on a feasting day,as I've only had around 1200 per day for yrs, and keep thinking I will gain weight eating what the TDEE says,
Thanks
Smudge
13 Oct 2013, 10:08
Smudge, I think you're going to have to take a leap of faith here and follow the very good advice already given. 5.2 does work but not if you under eat - the body will hang onto fat reserves when you don't eat enough on the feast days, and as you have been eating only 1000 - 1200 cals a day for years then it may take a while for your body to get used to this woe, but it will. Try increasing good fats, like olive oil, coconut oil etc. butter and cream if you like it, this will help to conquer the sugar cravings.
It can be difficult in the beginning to get your head round this new woe because it contradicts what you have believed is the holy grail of diets for years, but there is no need to be so cautious around food anymore, only twice a week - eat well, protein, soups, eggs etc. and lots of veg on your fast days and you will find that over time your tastes will change to better food choices. good luck :clover:
14 posts Page 1 of 1