The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

14 posts Page 1 of 1
Just read this article and found it funny but interesting. The world seems to be thinking about the sugar in our diet and its dangers at last. http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... ?CMP=fb_gu
Thanks for that Loulou, a very interesting article!
That was interesting. Thank you
Thanks for posting the article :smile:

It just goes to show how hard it is to find food without sugar in it!

I honestly couldn't cut out chocolate or wine they are the 2 foods (ahem) i can't live without- life is too short especially after not being able to eat anything other than half a yogurt a day without being in excruciating pain for nearly 4 years!! :confused:
It's like she's watching me lurk by the biscuit tin! It is hard to not eat the blasted stuff, one bite and you can't stop for hours. But if you do manage to not eat any sugar in anything for a few days you do feel miles better. Onwards dear friends, onwards :0)
Thanks for posting this article!

I've done enough South Beach and other fad diets where you eat zero carbs and sugars to know it doesn't work like that for me! I obsess over the restricted food, and when the time comes that I do have a taste of chocolate or bread I love them again immediately! She says she finds bread too heavy now and doesn't even like chocolate anymore. ha!
My experiment with cutting sugar out of my diet didn't go well. I put on over a kilo, first time I've put on weight since starting 5:2 over a year ago! That wad 18 days sugar free. I was going for a month, but pulled the pin early. I really expected to feel a difference, but nothing at all.

I do find it amusing how as much as we love our fad foods, we also love our fad hate foods too. Sugar is current food to hate, but wheat, dairy, fats, protein, eggs - all have been demonised. Bottom line, for me at least, is moderation. I won't be cutting anything out of my diet entirely again.
I cut out sugar for 4 months last year in conjunction with grains. Basically I went mostly paleo. It was really hard to do because it is in everything. I fell off the wagon when I moved here in January and regret it because I have certainly gained weight. Don't know how much but enough to know that I need to go back to no sugar. My sugar sensitivity is heightened. I feel ill when I eat it now and feel much better when I go without it. Fasting is much easier without it as there are no blood sugar swings or hunger pans. I do eat fruit through as Lustig says that fructose with fibre is absolutely fine, it's the pure juice that is the problem. However I do restrict my sweet fruits, eg bananas or mangoes are a once a week treat for me. I guess we are all different, but for me I loved it and highly recommend trying the challenge. BTW, like the writer, I also had alot of compliments to say I looked younger and less tired :lol:
It was an interesting article, but I agree with @nycnyc2013 that sugar absence would surely make my heart grow fonder, not disinterested.

One problem is that I now have to clear my browsing history fast, since I could not resist the link to another Guardian (interesting rag you Brits have there) article about an app with which you can learn a certain sexual technique by, ahem, (whispers) licking your smart phone. I will leave this post now and proceed to get rid of the incriminating evidence (ie clear history)...
Loulou thanks for the article, it is inspirational and sugar less is where I want to be.

I am finding am really loving eating more fruit on 5:2 the whole of it no juices. It is the clean taste of something natural and wholesome., along with the good fats. Must need to purchase a book mentioned but the article gave us a lot to go on especially the info to push on past the fatigue place which is where I seem to hit a wall and go for the carbs

Oh well that's the next challenge unless we have a tent for that
Oops, shouldn't have read that whilst eating a chocolate brownie at the airport. Damn you Qantas!!! It is definitely the hidden sugar that is a problem and I suspect that I am a sugar junkie. I don't touch fruit juice and am trying to restrict things like dried fruit which I love. Interestingly, I had quite a bit of bread and butter the last few days and had shocking heartburn! not sure if it was from the bread, butter or the combination, but am trying to remove bread and rice for a while.
I've found that I don't seem to have a problem with carbs in general but if I cut my sugar right down and then have a lot of it I feel really dreadful very much like the article that Caroline put up by Peter Attia. Headache, feeling sick much like a hangover.
Thanks for posting this @Louloue51. I don't think that I could cut out sugar in the same way because it just seems like such hard work! All that studying of labels amd agonising over every foof item! :frown:

All the way through my 5:2 adventure, I have deliberately not cut out anything, just moderated my intake, because I needed a WOL which is sustainable - for me, forever. It has worked so far and, although I can admire people who have more self-discipline than me, I don't think that I will join them any time soon! I'm just too lazy! :smile:
14 posts Page 1 of 1