The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

17 posts Page 1 of 2
I bet it's nobody

It works!
Surely anyone in that situation would have wandered off to try something different. They wouldn't still be here after 6mths of it all going downhill!
A friend of mine "tried" it for a week, gained weight and concluded it wasn't working. Oh well...
I have a friend that's tried twice and declared both times it didn't work. But I think max each time was a month

Oh well, yes
It's working for me, but as I thought, I'm on the slow side. Also, nothing seemed to happen to me for a while.. even in inches. Now I feel it, and I'm almost exactly 6 months in!
Ok, I will 'fess up, I am one of them, but that is cos I went on holiday for four months and eat my way around the world. Who could resist in the face of so much gelato?! :bigfrown:
Not me either!
I have now lost 40lbs since January (and I'm firmly in the 'mindful of the TDEE camp!!) and 5lbs more to go.
Since January 2011, I have lost 53lbs.
Interestingly, in 2011 I lost 28lbs, went away on holiday in the September and stopped the 'diet', so put 14lbs back on.
This year, on this WOE, I've had 2 holidays, have not deviated much from 5:2 and am still on it and still losing.

I'm loving the comments from people I haven't seen for a while!
I've lost 40lb since February and dropped from a comfy size 26 (tight 24) to a comfy 22 (tight 20) in that time.
Even with the plateaus, including the one I'm on now, and the frustrating ups followed by dramatic downs, I'm still here because I CAN be very, very good for 2 or 3 days a week, as long as I can be a foodie for the rest.
Debs wrote: Ok, I will 'fess up, I am one of them, but that is cos I went on holiday for four months and eat my way around the world. Who could resist in the face of so much gelato?! :bigfrown:

That made me smile. I imagine travel and 5-2 just doesnt relate.
Julieathome wrote: I've lost 40lb since February and dropped from a comfy size 26 (tight 24) to a comfy 22 (tight 20) in that time.
Even with the plateaus, including the one I'm on now, and the frustrating ups followed by dramatic downs, I'm still here because I CAN be very, very good for 2 or 3 days a week, as long as I can be a foodie for the rest.

This definitely is the diet for "foodies". I believe people on WW, or other diet all the time diets have very few windows to enjoy food. We have 4 or 5 days every week, so lucky us.
miffy49 wrote: Surely anyone in that situation would have wandered off to try something different. They wouldn't still be here after 6mths of it all going downhill!

I think you're probably right. I've tried all sorts of diets and if they don't produce results I move on to the next thing. :D
Not me! It hasn't been really fast, but I started this on March 10 and am down 20+ pounds. Yeah, I've had a couple of weeks on vacation that I didn't fast at all, and there was a whole month when I didn't see much progress, but it is still working and I am a believer for sure.
:oops: Just me then!! Although I'm actually weigh (!!) above my start weight! I really fell off the wagon, probably around spring time due to some serious emotional eating. I started back on the sugar and refined carbs and became an addict again. That vicious cycle kept going and going and then it got the point where I'm just exhausted with it all, the guilt, the weight gain, not being able to fit into my clothes, shame etc etc etc!! :curse:

BUT I'm slowly breaking away from the clutches of the white stuff and getting back into 5:2 is helping massively. It's crazy, I'd almost reached my goal before and then I just went backwards in a quarter of the time it took me to get there! I can't even pinpoint what set me off on that momentous landslide but I'm done with looking back, looking forward now....
chichi13 wrote: I'm done with looking back, looking forward now....

Can't find the catchy quote, but something like "The past is gone forever, you will never actually be in the future, all you have is now".

Meaning of course, to focus on the present and your actions, the only things you can actually control. Oh well, someone else probably said it better.
That's another thing about 5:2 (re the comment about a diet for foodies) - it's the first 'diet' I've ever been on where I'm not completely obsessed about what to eat next all the time (usually because I've always been absolutely starving and I'm not any more). It's great.
17 posts Page 1 of 2