The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

6 posts Page 1 of 1
So I have been doing 5:2 for about 3 weeks now, and have lost some weight but not sure how much as I don't own scales. I will do my 500 cal day fine, but then the day after (also the day before) I seem to overeat so much! In sort of a panicked way, as if to think, oh I know I won't be eating this tomorrow so even though I'm not hungry I'll eat it now anyway. I'm starting to get into a bad habit of it.. tonight for example I feel physically sick because I have eaten so much :(
Does anyone else have this problem? Or does anyone have suggestions on how to deal with it?
You can not control what you don't measure. You need a scale to tell if you're actually overeating.
Me! I've been doing this for four months and I still do it.
I think a few of us have experienced this at the beginning, it happened to me to a certain extent then it stopped by itself when I got more used to fasting. I agree with Michael that you need to weigh or measure so that you know if you are losing, and if you are I would give it a few more weeks and see if it doesn't sort itself out.
I have been suffering from this recently. I'm not sure I've entirely licked it yet, but what I am trying to do is be more mindful about my eating. When I go for something or go for more, I ask myself if I am hungry. If I'm not, I don't eat it. If it's between meals, I ask myself if I can just wait, and if not, if there is a healthier option.

I feel that one of the advantages of 5:2 is that it teaches you that being a bit hungry won't kill you, and in general seems to sort of change your appetite. I have to admit now that I feel uncomfortable pretty quickly. I don't like that feeling, and it's definitely wasted calories, so I try not to let it happen. It doesn't help you if your next day is a fast day--if anything it makes you hungrier.
I have the same problem but for a different reason. When I started this WOE I was surprised at how my overeating problem improved, but I'm a comfort eater and have a stressful life so I regularly go back to pigging out on non fast days.

So my eating pattern is all over the place - a fast day followed by a careful day, then a couple of days when I can't stop eating, another fast day, more overeating etc.
I still managed to lose the weight and I'm hoping to get the overeating under control eventually.

Good luck sweet21, I hope that your non fast eating will revert to normal soon.
6 posts Page 1 of 1