The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Are my scales faulty???????
20 Jan 2014, 21:40
I've been wondering for a while if my scales are faulty as they don't always tell me what I want!!!!

I have 'Tanita' inner scan scales. They are fine for weight but they do all these other fancy things that I'm not impressed with! I have lost almost 25kg from doing this WOE which I am very pleased with. However they measure your metabolic age and for me this has not changed during my weight loss journey - they said 50 at the start and still say that! (I am younger than this actually!!!)

The percentage of body fat seems really slow to change as well. I now have a healthy BMI but the scales still tell me that I am "overfat".

They also have a physique rating which puts me at 'medium frame obese' yet according to google and searching 'frame size calculations', I have a 'large frame'!!!!

The scales do have a visceral fat rating which I do like as the reading has gone from 10 to 6. (It should be under 12.)

So it seems to me that scales can give you a lot of information, some of it more useful than others! I guess the main thing is that I know I am healthier for the weight loss even when those jolly scales don't change much!

I'd be interested to know how other people are measuring their body fat %, as this is one area I do care about??????
Re: Are my scales faulty???????
20 Jan 2014, 21:48
Scales lie to you, mine have been doing this since Christmas, surely I haven't put on that much weight :lol: Mine don't do anything fancy which us good because I hate constant disappointment :cry:
20 Jan 2014, 21:55
I'm not sure I would put much credence into those things the scales say. For example, if you take a written test to determine metabolic age, what are those results?
20 Jan 2014, 22:29
:heart: I also avoided "fancy " scales when I bought new ones about 6 months ago because I didn't want them telling me how fat I still was or how much water I was retaining
( problem of mine) I can see from my shoes without those rubbing salt into my wounds so I settled for the plain old simple digital type I can now see a loss of quarter of a pound before it was 4lbs ish before I could tell if I'd
lost weight.
:heart: And as @Wineoclock says they are all liars at some stage on our journey,
Well Done on your weightloss that's brilliant is the trusted tape measure showing better results?
20 Jan 2014, 22:31
My all singing all dancing scales wouldn't even work on the 'fancy bits' because I weighed too much. The scales can't read a body fat of over 50%.
5 posts Page 1 of 1