The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi I am from India and I am a pure vegetarian .Are there any one with similar food habits?What do u eat on fast day and day after?Let us share some ideas?Thanks
Oooh I'm afraid I have no input, but I'll DEFINTELY be looking to pinch some ideas.

LOVE indian, LOVE vegetarian, not too fussed about meat.

Bring it on!!!!!
Well I'm not Indian, but I'm vegetarian (24 years), I eat veg soup for breakfast - low in cals and very filling and dinner is either veg curry or roast veg. Day after I eat what I want
I'm not Indian, but :heart: Indian and Asian flavours and my Daughter in law is vegan, so I am way more conscious of the foods to cook to suit her now. I like to have at least one dish in the fridge which is okay for her to eat.

I am eating for my breaking fast now, these small parts of the plate: cauliflower florets with turmeric ,'braised' with cardomom pods, ground coriander, garlic, onion, vegetable stock water;
& broccoli florets with capsicum in slivers, tiny onion and sesame seeds and sesame oil (and it should have been hoi sin but I used Soy sauce, as I'd run out of a couple of the recipe ingredients);
mushrooms pre-dipped in hot salty water to keep the black from running, then pan-sauteed in olive oil.
Just like tastes on the plate...OH loves these tastes too.
Anyway, there's my light break-meal idea for now.
Goodluck for the future, sandcastle :clover:
Hi,

I'm vegetarian (20+ years). Not sure what a “pure vegetarian” is, but I eat no meat or fish, I'm fine with milk, eggs, cheese, and long as it doesn't contain anything from a dead animal. Sorry, I'm not Indian. I do like my food to have flavor – and envy my Indian friends their skills with spices.

I use lentils a lot in cooking to make a simple dal, into which I then add spices and veg. On fast days I use no fats. Served with plain boiled rice – alternatives to this I'd like to hear about.

Also TexMex inspired meals are good – but little or no cheese, just watch your cal count if you're including cheese.

Always on the lookout for good 500cal vegi recipes for fast days!

Good luck
I'm not Indian either - but I love Indian food, and, since I'm vegan, I eat a fair amount of it.

I have an (online) friend who has a website - Mamta's Kitchen:

http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/

She has a signature on one of the forums we frequent:

"Indian cookery isn't difficult - 1 billion Indians practice it every day!"

Which always makes me smile. :)

I've got loads of vegan recipes on my blog - most suitable for 5:2. My favourite - the one I use most often, since it's infinitely variable - is a <180 calorie veg curry:

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/52-diet-simple-vegetable-curry-vegan.html

I'd better make a disclaimer here - I don't really call my dishes 'Indian cookery', more "Indian influenced!" :)
Oooooh, just looked at mamta's kitchen! looks gooood. Thanks for posting that one B&W
janeg wrote: Oooooh, just looked at mamta's kitchen! looks gooood. Thanks for posting that one B&W

Doesn't it just look excellent ! Added to my favourites, thank you B&W :like:
9 posts Page 1 of 1