The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Another post took me to a link which said not all calories are equal.

I cant remember if this got discussed in any big way before in the forum and in any case what the heck.. some new people around in the room

My biggest worry about 5-2 is the fact that we just talk calories.. very rarely food groups. Perhaps unlike some of the other diets around the traps.

I know some people say cut sugars but apart from that, what is the right balance of protein, carbs, fats etc on someone doing IF in any of its forms.

Is the slow weight loss for some really about how our bodies are metabolising whatever it is that we are putting in our mouth. Maybe you are eating your TDEE on feast days and 1/4 on famine days yet you just arent budging those pounds or kilos.

Should we add a layer of depth in the guidelines to eating that speaks more of a balanced diet but within the context of calorie counting.

so. e.g consume 1/3 of your calories on famine days with protein and 1/5 on feast days (i made that up by the way) ..

eg this sort of thing

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/myplate/index.aspx

maybe it doesnt matter ?
Thanks for the link, I clicked it despite the fact that it was a .gov domain.

I'm sure it makes more sense to those used to dealing with cups as a measure, but why mix ounces and cups?
The beauty of 5:2 is that there is nothing to think about, calculate, measure, weigh, research or stress about OTHER than the amount of calories you consume on a fast day. Nothing more, nothing less. I think anything else - like cutting out entire 'bad' foods - just complicates a beautifully simple premise.
I think we naturally lean towards healthy food on this plan anyway. Yes you could 'spend' all your calories on chocolate and such but you would soon feel rough. As I no longer feel the need to eat every two hours I have cut out snacking. This has largely removed sweets, biscuits etc and my sugar consumption is now very low. I now cook from scratch and have cleaned up my food. This means I now have a balanced, healthy diet. I agree with keeping it simple, this is why it is so good.
I guess most people who challenge themselves with a fasting program are more health conscious than the main population. 5-2ers and 4-3ers are just smarter! :-)
I'm going through a phase, where I just can't go at veggies on a fast day, so I just eat boiled egg, piece of crumbed lemon garlic hoki fillet and cottage cheese with baby gherkin, fills me nicely cause its mainly protein and then cups of skim tea and strawberries, so yes, I'm probably missing food groups and thus metabolising food groups slower and stalling weight loss. but steamed boring veggies are the furthermost from my mind, even if they are filling, I'd rather be satisfied and a bit hungry than full on boring veg. I do adore salads,
Like Bobhouse said, after you've been doing this for a while food choices tend to become healthier. I don't eat nearly as much processed food as I did to start, and my lunchtime sandwiches of deli processed ham or chicken has mostly been replaced by homemade soup or salad without the bread. Also eat more veggies and don't find them boring at all, but I often add olive oil, butter or coconut oil and some spices or herbs to them, helps them come alive!
If something is off limits then human nature (mine at least!) being what it is, it attracts like a magnet! I know I can eat anything doing 5.2 and that keeps me motivated. But overall, this has resulted in me eating healthier, losing weight and not feeling deprived.
Main change has been a big decrease in sugar and processed foods, carbs and protein and an increase in veggies, nuts and seeds and fats.
Has anyone ever said anything to an obese woman or man with a trolley full of processed food, icecreaam and crisps?. Ive never had the nerve but sure thought it.. "you idiot!"
8 posts Page 1 of 1