The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

16 posts Page 1 of 2
Bored!!
08 Oct 2013, 21:10
Hi all

I'm 6 weeks in now, and finding the fast days much easier - just boring!

I've been having a plate of stir fry veg for lunch , but don't think I can face it anymore!

Has anyone got any ideas for lunch for around 60-100 cals?

Many thanks
Julie
Re: Bored!!
08 Oct 2013, 21:49
Soup? Make up some different batches freeze for variety on fast days. Lots of lovely recipes in the recipe section.
08 Oct 2013, 22:12
This tip is probably not what you are looking for. Many here are recommending (and only if you can and it is not deleterious to your well being on fast days) is to NOT consume lunch at all and thus extend the "fasting period" to at least over the 16 hours that MM suggests is important, that is, assuming the previous day you have a meal late at night and dont have breakfast either.

I know my sis refuses to do this so its each to their own but a lot here, including me find this to be better for a weight loss outcome. Drink of course during this fasting period to ensure you are not dehydrated.

I started with the light lunch and snacking on light things through the day but about 3 months into my new WOL i stopped and try to keep going till 6pm though i usually break the fast with a banana or kiwi fruit or apple about 4pm if im going crazy.
08 Oct 2013, 23:04
Given that you're going to be fasting for approximately 30% of your life, you'd better get something in your repertoire other than stir-fry :smile:

It would be worth buying a 5:2 recipe book - I use Kate Harrison's a lot and prefer it to Mimi Spencer's - or just google. There are hundreds of 5:2 recipes out there.
08 Oct 2013, 23:13
I am using the hairy Dieters Recipe books. All recipes calorie counted to under 500kcals per portion.

I am of the same mind as Juliana. If I had lunch I would be famished the rest of the day. Plus you aren't getting in a decent length of fast. I save all my calories for dinner time and usually make up something for the family from the Hairy Dieters and add some potatoes or rice to the rest of the families meals to make up the calories.
08 Oct 2013, 23:18
There's also the bbc good food site where you can search for recipes via calories per serve. I'm also a dinner only eater.
08 Oct 2013, 23:26
Hi My Daily lunches are all salads feta cheese but I use a thin slice plus a massive salad / today was one slice corned beef + tomorrow ham all come in about 75 cals /colder weather means soups so now heading down that avenue. But on fastdays I skip breakfast+ lunch to extend the fast and also because once I eat I actually become more hungry so you could maybe try that and see how it goes :clover: Sue. :clover:
09 Oct 2013, 01:10
Hi and welcome:

Why eat anything? You sound like you feel you have to eat. You don't. Take a walk or read a good book.

Good Luck!
09 Oct 2013, 01:15
I'll bet that you could whip something up with egg whites and vegetables for a little cal lunch. I don't eat lunch, but I do eat breakfast every fast day. I have a soft-boiled egg.
09 Oct 2013, 04:41
I have tried going without lunch (I have no breakfast) but to be honest if I don't eat by about 2pm, I start to come undone emotionally and mentally. So in order to avoid this I have a light lunch. I don't go to any great effort- 2 rice cakes, a big tomato, slice of cheese, some berries... that kind of thing. Some days I have a tiny bit of tuna or even a thin smear of good peanut butter. Not super exciting but I don't like putting much thought or effort into my fast day food.
09 Oct 2013, 05:45
I get bored on fast days too but its not about the food (i'm never hungry), its because I'm an emotional eater and food used to fill gaps in the day/how I'm feeling. Stay busy, find something that absorbs you, stay away from the kitchen/vending machine etc etc.
09 Oct 2013, 06:28
Lots of recipes and great ideas in the 5/2 recipe book for inspiration :)
09 Oct 2013, 07:05
I don't think I could do it if I ate lunch on fast days - it'd make me absolutely starving!
09 Oct 2013, 07:09
I'm not a great one for either breakfast or lunch on non-fast days so I tend to save my calories on fast days until late afternoon at the earliest. I live on black coffee in the morning (as I do every day) then just drink water or black/herbal tea after that to stay hydrated. At around 4pm I might snack on a rice cake (no topping), a mini Babybel or a few berries. I aim to eat my main meal around 8pm, sometimes a bit later - this is also usual for me so apart from an afternoon snack I'll be going close to 24 hours between meals of any substance.

I agree that the longer you can last until eating the better. When I've had a lunch it's just made me hungrier and then I can't stop thinking about food!
09 Oct 2013, 07:51
Lots of good advice here already, but if you really feel you need lunch how about something like some Dutch crispbreads (29cal each) or ryvita with some cottage cheese or philly & cucumber/pepper/tomato? Or make some wraps using lettuce leaves instead of bready wraps? A nice pot of yogurt can also be filling & aid digestion.
16 posts Page 1 of 2