The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

27 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Christian fasting with 5-2
30 Sep 2014, 16:09
Great subject, as a Christian I'm really pleased to find this thread! Will have a look at the links in a bit!
30 Sep 2014, 19:50
Welcome @Lianne K Douglas ! I was suprised that while using google I didn't find very many forum posts about this topic. But there are some blog posts and other articles out there. So if anyone finds any that I miss on google post them here :smile:
03 Oct 2014, 07:52
Thank you for this post and the links to articles!
I am a Christadelphian and I've not really heard of anyone fasting in my circle of acquaintances (or if they have done, they have followed the instructions in Matt 6:16-18)

For some time now I have been pondering how we in Western society rarely have to go without meals. I realised I haven't felt true hunger for many years. I began to make a connection between my stagnant spiritual life and the fact that I don't have anything to suffer - I am truly blessed and indeed thankful, and yet I think that a bit of suffering and self-discipline would be good for me spiritually.
03 Oct 2014, 16:34
"Fasting slows your aging process. Moses fasted often, including two forty-day fasts, and the Bible said in Deuteronomy 34:7, “Moses was 120 years old when he died and his eyes were not dim, nor his natural vigor abated.”

Ok...now that's what I want! Don't really want to do 40 days in a row.
I'm hoping I will benefit from 4:3!
03 Oct 2014, 17:09
lol no, 40 days in a row would be way to hard for me. What I'm doing is each fasting day I'm dedicating it to a main prayer concern. Then on fast day every time I'm reminded of my hunger; it is my reminder to pray for that person or event. It really makes me look forward to a fast day besides for health
04 Oct 2014, 09:06
When I give something up for Lent (usually chocolate) I think about the reason I've given it up hence I'm thinking of my faith a lot as I often think of chocolate!

Will use your method during my fasts.

I read your links, some very interesting articles!
04 Oct 2014, 23:42
Canoegal... Thank you for posting what you do on your fasting days. I love the idea to pray for specifics on that day. I tend to not focus on one concern and I think that will make a difference in my prayer life.
05 Oct 2014, 18:13
Hi, the church I belong to fasts one Sunday every month. My only problem is if I fast for church and use it as one of my fast days I feel as though I am "cheating" on my religious fast. When we fast at church we donate the money we save on the meals to feed the hungry, helps us spiritually and helps others physically win win
06 Oct 2014, 14:11
Riel... that is awesome your church does fasting once per month. Personally, when you focus on God's will and contribute to the program I do not see it as cheating. I feel God led me to fasting for weight loss to increase good health. I didn't feel this way the first time I fasted with the church but after much prayer I have come to realize He was leading me to do this for health benefits too.
06 Oct 2014, 20:52
Tammae wrote: Personally, when you focus on God's will and contribute to the program I do not see it as cheating. I feel God led me to fasting for weight loss to increase good health. I didn't feel this way the first time I fasted with the church but after much prayer I have come to realize He was leading me to do this for health benefits too.

Yes I found fasting when researching health but as soon as I read up on it I knew it could benefit me spirituality as well. And it has. I can see this being a life long choice for me :heart:
07 Oct 2014, 09:37
Welcome Canoear. Thanks for another interesting side to 5:2
tenshi
17 Oct 2014, 13:05
My focus as I fast today...
"My eyes are ever on the Lord, for only he will release my feet from the snare." Psalms 25:15

My heart has stopped me from being productive lately. As I was writing this a call came in and my day has switched from being down and forced productivity to love and encouragement. Sometimes God works very quickly. : )
27 posts Page 2 of 2