The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello all,

This week I have done two 'liquid fasts'. Now then...what I consider to be a 'liquid fast' i am now concerned is actually NOT what the general fasting community see as being so.

On Monday I only had a smoothie all day, along with coffee, mint tea etc, whilst today I have had two smoothies - one coming in at 191 cals, the other was 150, along with a bowl of soup that came in at about 150 - so that's still nearly 500 cals, only in liquid form....have I totally missed the point? HELP!!! :bugeyes:
No

Some people liquid fast and give their body a rest they can tell you what they consume

I liquid fast because if I don't chew I feel less hungry and the switch to eat doesn't go on. I have to come in under 400 cals for my fasting TDEE and I manage to do that easily just with liquids like a caffeine cuppa, herb teas, a very low cal soup or miso and lots of water but yesterday instead of usual soups I did a version of @rawkarens green drink and that was what I sipped.

I don't think that there is a 'rule' you do what works for you. Looks to me you had a successful liquid fast 5:2 day
I agree, there is no "rule".

I drink water and black tea, with one white coffee, so I suppose about 50 calories in total. I feel great the day after, and love having a day without the faff of food prep and cleaning up, so i avoid Smoothies, soup etc. But that's just my preference
Pinchypops, i agree with gilly..i think you did a liquid fast...
I think the confusion comes in as peeps get mixed up between water fasts ( zero cal) and liquid fasts ( usual fast n repair day amount of cals or v likely a bit lower than norm)
And thanks gilly as it hadnt occurred to me that just liquids ie no chewing would stop the hunger switch turning on,making it easier to keep to the fast day calorie count.Til now, i didnt understand why folk did a liquidfast!
Over two months on 5:2 and that particular penny has only just dropped :bugeyes:
Minumonline wrote: I agree, there is no "rule".

I drink water and black tea, with one white coffee, so I suppose about 50 calories in total. I feel great the day after, and love having a day without the faff of food prep and cleaning up, so i avoid Smoothies, soup etc. But that's just my preference

Sounds like me, I drink tea, water and diet drinks if I fancy something sweeter. I don't have soup (or Bovril/miso) but that's just me :wink:
I have to admit, I zoned out a few times yesterday - I think liquid fasting is probably best to do when your day is busy, but not so busy that you're incapable of concentrating (Uni yesterday!)

Does anyone else have any ideas for what one could drink on a liquid fasting day?
Chickvic wrote:
Minumonline wrote: I agree, there is no "rule".

Sounds like me, I drink tea, water and diet drinks if I fancy something sweeter. I don't have soup (or Bovril/miso) but that's just me :wink:

Water, white tea and one white coffee (+sugar :oops: ) and sometimes homemade soup very early evening - but I avoid the chewing action too - that seems to keep my hunger pangs at bay :victory: Knorr veg stock pots can be a saviour too at lunchtime :clover:
I've had oxo and marigold vegetable bouillon. Both of these are 12 cals and a nice savoury treat. Then of course there's the low cal hot choc in the evening
pinchypops wrote: I have to admit, I zoned out a few times yesterday - I think liquid fasting is probably best to do when your day is busy, but not so busy that you're incapable of concentrating (Uni yesterday!)

Does anyone else have any ideas for what one could drink on a liquid fasting day?

Hi Pinchypops. What was in your smoothie? If it was very fruity, chances are that your sugar intake would have been bouncing up and down hence why you zoned out a few times. I don't always liquid fast, but I have a few variants:

One is coffee blended with butter and coconut oil. 1tbspn of each is 220 cals per cup and the 1tspn of each version is 78 cals per cup. This cuts the carb rate to zero.

The other one is my green 'sludge' drink which is this:
2 cucumbers
Thumb of ginger
4 small apples
2 lemons
5 celery sticks
All pushed through the juicer and then blended with half a pack of lightly steamed kale or raw spinach. Total calories 392 (but that includes the fibre in case you decided to blend it only and make a thick smoothie, so the juice is probably less). I make in the morning and keep in the fridge. Carb intake for the whole lot is 103g which should be low enough not to trigger 'appetite annie' and the chlorophyll blunts your appetite. You might get a few weird looks from people and it tastes nicer than it sounds :grin:
Pinchypops as so often after a fast n reoair day, i wasnt hungry this morning and didnt eat til lunchtime
I was flagging by then coz been shopping for a couple of hpurs
I had a Batchelors SlimaSoup which gave me such a lift for only 61cals..
I had minestrone but there are other flavours ..mine had croutons on top but on fast days you could duscard them..making it prob 25 -30 cals..well worth those few cals i think as it really warmed and refreshed me..i was starting to wilt! X
A comforting drink on a liquid fast day ! :razz:
10 posts Page 1 of 1