The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi there,

just wondering how people deal with fasting during the winter. I have to admit, a bit of dread has set in thinking of the cold winter days and an empty belly. I work in a draughty old school and am particularly susceptible to the cold on fasting days. As it stands, I layer-up so much on fast days that some people have expressed concern for my health, telling me that I should get my bloods taken etc etc. (They don't know I fast).
My energy takes a huge dip and I have to admit I don't feel this reported "sharpness" of mind, in fact I tend to be scattered and words don't come to me that easily.
Also, while I find the first two/two and a half weeks of the month bearable fasting wise, I find the second two (coming towards my time of the month) particularly difficult.
I would love to hear how people cope during the winter months, I've been very successful on 5:2 and am on the home stretch to maintenance now. However, I don't want to undo any of the good work I've done plus I'm sure maintenance for me is going to mean 6:1 every weak at least so I'd like to try to come to terms with fasting no matter what time of the year it is.

Many thanks!
Kiki
A cup of bouillon or miso soup is very comforting when I'm a bit chilled. Very few cals and easy to have handy. :)
Maybe if it gets too bad you could switch to 16:8 on school days and try and fit in a 5 fast on the weekend instead?
I haven't found it as bad as expected on cod days as long as I am rugged up and sipping hot drinks.
Good luck
I get really cold on fast days too. Couple of things that helped me is a really brisk walk whenever I get a chance (even a 15 min one helps), and drinking warm things. Tepid water, green tea, rooibos tea.
Easy, but not easy, can that be? that was all I knew, I started 5:2 end of summer mid Autumn even do some cold showering, it strangely addictive.

Mind you though our winters get down to 7'c during the day and maybe -3, not as cold as can be overseas. We rarely see snow unless we go high country.

I'd love to know what its like in summer, but no one will answer that post. :smile:
I've found fasting in summer much easier Zamale. I love the heat and summer, so as long as it's above 20, I'm happy (above 30 I'm happier). I liquid fast, and just drink loads of water and feel much more energetic. My only downfall is summer makes me want beer, icy beer, in the late arvos, but that craving stops as soon as the sun goes down.
I had a nice visual there, I'm in the lower of Victoria, lovely and cold today, must say I'm waiting for some warmer weather, its 10'c now at 6 pm.
I agree with Debs & also have hot drinks & wonder if 16:8ing might be an alternative for you? I also try on fast days when it's cold to keep some calories back for a hot chocolate before going to bed, because when I first started fasting in January I found it difficult to get to sleep. I sleep well now but hot chocolate is comforting :smile: Also keeping physically active helps warm you up. Lots of walking around the classroom?
The weather has turned a bit colder and all I've found is that I have less cold drinks on a fast day and change them for hot ones instead.
Thanks so much for the replies folks. I'm gathering that I might have to stock up on a variety of hot drinks, I drink tea but it gets boring and leaves that scratchy feeling in my throat. Miso soup it is, the walk advice is something I've never thought about before, I find the staffroom and its lovely foodie smells hard to cope with sometimes on a fast day so skipping it altogether for a walk sounds do-able.

Thanks again
: )
10 posts Page 1 of 1