The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
corseting
03 Sep 2013, 14:21
Does anyone think one of those post pregnancy corsets would help tone sagging lower belly muscles after weight loss?
Re: corseting
03 Sep 2013, 17:17
No. It'll hold you in but that's all. Many years ago I was prescribed a surgical corset for a spinal problem (now fixed with surgery). I wore it for months and while it took the pressure off the offending vertebrae it actual weakened my core abdominal muscles because they couldn't get any exercise inside it. Workouts of some sort or another are the only way. Trust me - I know!
03 Sep 2013, 21:48
Thanks. I was skeptical but read on the net how women are wearing them post partum to regain their figures. It was just a hopeful thought.
03 Sep 2013, 21:57
It might work just after birth but that's because your ligaments relax to let the baby through, so your hips etc can become wider, and after birth the hormone (relaxin) is still active for a while, so wearing a corset might push things back into place. It doesn't tone anything though...to really get the ligaments back to near where they were before pregnancy you have to do special abdominal exercises.
03 Sep 2013, 22:06
Exercise is most decidedly the way to go. However I would not dismiss wearing light-weight shape-wear. Nothing that is really restrictive or difficult to pull on. Just something very light but which smooths the lines, particularly down the sides of the waistline. M&S do some very pretty, very light-control shape-wear.
5 posts Page 1 of 1