The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

22 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Deb's cholesterol results
20 Feb 2014, 00:21
I had my 6 month lipid check about 2.5 weeks after I first started fasting. The results were very good. I asked to try without the statins to see where I would come out. After 3 months the results were sky high. I went another 3 months with more effort on the exercise although still needing to do more of it. Still really high. I then went to a cardiologist since my GP admitted she sees two opinions on the cholesterol issue.

The cardiologist was adamant that with my other risk factors I will need to be on statins most likely for life. I really don't want to, but I did tolerate them pretty well when I was taking them. Hopefully I will be able to reduce my dosage over time.

But, here are some interesting things she told me. Some I was aware of, some not:

Fish oil - The amounts that have been shown to lower triglycerides are 1800 mg of EPA and 1200 of DHA daily. That is higher than I was taking.

Daily oatmeal can lower LDL by about 6 - 9%

1 Tablespoon of Metamucil daily can lower LDL by about 9%

3 TBSP of plant stanols/sterols such as in butter type spreads have shown to lower LDL by 10-15% but adds about 240 calories (unless you are substituting for butter calories anyway)

An apple a day demonstrated a 22% reduction in LDL after a year

1/3 an avocado a day improves HDL

Chia seeds are high in Omega 3 fatty acids which may help reduce triglycerides

Women should only have 1 oz of liquor or 4 oz of wine per day 6 days a week.
20 Feb 2014, 10:01
Thank you very much for your posts.@Jools7, I hadn't realised that about Vit D and cholesterol. I remember my hubby saying that there was no causal link with the other conditions, but I will definitely find a high strength one to take, I could only find 1000IU in the supermarket today.
@JM53, handy tips. I take metamcuil when I remember, which admittedly isn't very often, but I should for regularity issues too :lol: . I eat a lot of avocado and have upped my chia intake, and will pursue the other. (But not the sterol stuff, uurrgh!).

Yes you are right @ballerina, I go with my gut, which is why I ended up fasting in the first place :lol: :lol:
20 Feb 2014, 10:09
Hi Debs,

1000IU is the highest dose of Vit D you can buy in Australia without a prescription. (IIRC in Tas 5000IU can be given without a script but I am a mainlander so don't quote me on that.)

So if you can find 1000IU caps don't bother looking for higher unless you have a Dr's script.

Another factor to consider is hypothyroid. Those who suffer with low thyroid issues often have higher cholesterol and sometimes getting the thyroid in order helps lower cholesterol. So if you haven't had it checked maybe look at thyroid function tests next time you see your Doctor.

hths.
20 Feb 2014, 10:13
Hi, thanks @Thefrog, I might get hubby to see if he can get me some then as I didn't realise about the doses. Thyroid is all good, I just have some dodgy genes!!
20 Feb 2014, 10:24
No worries, you may have to hunt around for high dose Vit D even with a prescription as most pharmacies have to order it in.
20 Feb 2014, 10:29
@debs, I bought 2,400 IU vit D over the net from the US, just not so many pills to take!

It's quite safe to take high doses, even 15,000 units per day reported in nursing home patients with no ill effects.
21 Feb 2014, 08:36
Hi there@jools7, got hold of some 5000IU on the interweb, so thank you for the tip!
22 posts Page 2 of 2