The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

24 posts Page 1 of 2
What do we think of this article folks? Is this why fasting is so successful because it is NOT a diet?
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles ... -you-happy
I didn't expect losing weight to affect my quality of life and it certainly hasn't made me depressed.
Maybe if you see losing weight as a solution to solving other non weight related issue you might become depressed when it doesn't, but that is a slightly different issue as it is not so much the weight loss as the realisation that weight loss in itself is not a solution to life's problems.
Mmmmmm yes. To be happy a human needs to feel content. To feel content a human needs it's belly full of real food 2 or 3 times a day. An intermittent fast once or twice a week creates a frisson of need, making the next meal taste super good, provided the victuals are grown not manufactured.
Feeling half starved on a daily basis when following a standard diet would make the happiest human sad.
:0)
Very interesting article Karen. Do you think it is significant that the study was carried out on adults aged 50 plus? Does a tendency to suffer from depression increase with age?
Yes rawkaren I agree with your premise & also what you have said Merlin. I think many people may think that losing weight is a magical panacea for all that is going wrong for them & pin too many hopes & aspirations on it. Also dieting every day is deprivation & 5:2ing & it's variations gives us more control & choice with what we eat but includes the reward aspect of built in treats if needed. It is a much more user friendly & manageable long term WOE & WOL if slower than other dieting regimes. I feel sad when I notice how many very overweight people are out & about & hope they will be able find The Fast Diet & help themselves!
callyanna wrote: Very interesting article Karen. Do you think it is significant that the study was carried out on adults aged 50 plus? Does a tendency to suffer from depression increase with age?

I don't think getting older causes depression but it may enable a realisation that ones younger years have already gone & not all one wished to achieve has been achieved! I think being comfortable in ones own skin is accepting oneself warts & all. For example I now realise that I can identify repeating patterns of behaviour that I can do something about now because after-all if one keeps doing the same thing one will stay in the same place!! :grin:
Agree with what already said and i also believe that a very low fat diet can lead to depression due to physiological changes when the body isnt getting enough fat..
I had a work colleague who lost a lot of weight..this was followed by her being off work unwell with depression for six long months ( i say long coz i had to cover her work in her absence! :doh: )
This friend was a very contented person with a lovely lifestyle,happy marriage,good social life,very healthy etc..i knew her well enough to know this was true,not just a facade ..
She didnt have a lot of weight to lose but cut out all fat from her diet, and for first time in her life, suffered with depression.
I really think eating a fatfree diet can lead to depression even when day to day yr life is fulfilling in every way.
callyanna wrote: Very interesting article Karen. Do you think it is significant that the study was carried out on adults aged 50 plus? Does a tendency to suffer from depression increase with age?

Dunno @callyanna. @peebles has been discussing something similar on another thread in regard to post menopausal ladies.
Being on a diet is depressing for me as I'm always hungry. It's awful not having anything to look forward too because very day is torture. And filling up on carbs and low fat foods makes me hungrier. And I'm only 45. Great article though.
I was rather surprised that it affected older people this way. After all, unlike the young who may delude themselves that shedding a few stone will transform them into gorgeous creatures, us older folk realise that we merely become thinner versions of ourselves, with added bonuses like being more agile, more bendy, possibly less arthritic nd able to wear nicer clothes.

I would be depressed if I was on a diet with the rest of my life being careful of certain foods, always eating less than I would really like ... but I have found a way of avoiding this.
What CandiceMarie told us of her friend and the no fat diet was scary.
Great points by everyone, but I was particularly struck by the observation @CandiceMarie made about lack of fat and depression - it makes so much sense - depression is a chemical imbalance of brain hormones, fat helps us regulate our hormones of all kinds, so it is (I think) a logical leap that lack of fat would impact mood health. I think I read somewhere long ago that there was a link also, so it isn't at all a stretch to make the observation.

I also agree with the early comments that 5:2 breaks the "diet mentality" that people who restrict calories every day tend to develop. I can't sustain that level of constant discipline and denial without some serious moodiness, backsliding and bingeing. What I've appreciated most about 5:2 is that even I can do 2 days a week - it makes staying at my TDEE the other 5 seem like a walk in the park. AND I am averaging the calorie level they've been after me to be at for ....decades, but it isn't nearly as painful! I think as more brain research becomes available, they'll be sorry they didn't look here at this forum for the wisdom, results and hypotheses that we keep testing and proving every day. :lol: :lol:
BAH HUMBUG!

From the book "Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers" by Robert Sapolsky, the primary stressors and causal factors for depression in life are due to a cumulative lack of the following: A sense of control, a sense of predictability, social support, and having accessible outlets for frustration.

We gained a sense of control by adopting the simple scenario of 5:2 and seeing results.

Predictability is obtained as well through our own weight loss successes and by reading about those of others. Social support is an obvious highlight benefit here. Through triumphs and set backs we vicariously experience what is likely, what is possible, and find ourselves asking "Why not me?".

Finally we come to frustration - expressing it and dealing with it is a common theme here.

To this curative solution set I would add two somewhat addictive, yet positive prerequisites that we've all exhibited or we wouldn't be here. A sense of curiosity and a willingness to experiment. To try what worked for others with a gleeful fascination in uncovering what works well for us.

Depression here, in this group? Not possible because the stressors have been beaten. Reengaged curiosity, growing conviction and determination to do and be better is what I see.
Hmmm, a very timely article, Karen. Knowledge is power....& I am learning so much from the posts on this forum. Will keep my eye on this thread - many thanks x

:rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:
I think if you have never suffered from depression, whether you sought treatment or not, it may be difficult to understand that it is not a mind over matter issue. It IS a chemical/hormonal imbalance that can sometimes be aided by exercise, positive life changes and attitude, but for some - more clinical intervention is needed and necessary.
Azureblue wrote: Feeling half starved on a daily basis when following a standard diet would make the happiest human sad.
:0)

How very true AB @AzureBlue well said! and how many times i've done just that ..but its futile, as in the long run, the worst scenario is the one i've had ..i.e., ending up fatter than ever with very little muscle tone!
I wish i had a way of getting that message out to everyone going thru the same thing :confused:
24 posts Page 1 of 2