The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
I had my first fast day yesterday, I was able to get through it consuming 545 calories

I wanted to know when you're calculating your daily intake, do you take into account calories you've used up during exercise?

For example, I consumed 545 calories but through exercise (using a heart rate monitor), I used up 290 calories. I use myfitnesspal and this showed that my net calorie intake was in fact 255. Should I be off-setting these calories and eating more or do I stick to the calories I've consumed?

Thanks!

Jen
As a rule, no. I would typically burn 250 cals per day according to MFP exercise, but I don't add them to my fast days nor my TDEE and my weight loss is still slow!
No you don't add in calories that you have used up in exercise. I know that weight watchers do that and maybe slimming world. But for 5:2 or intermittent fasting, think of the exercise calories lost as a bonus.
No credit for exercise. However, since you are on maintenance, if you find you are losing too much weight in a couple of weeks, you could increase your calories a bit on fast days. Stick with a good long fast ie: 24 hours then eat normally. :)
Thanks all
5 posts Page 1 of 1