The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
So, today I'm having a friend for dinner and I'm making melanzane alla parmigiana (diety version) basically the only caloric stuff in there is the mozzarella and the Parmesan (I am putting very little parmesan in it).... Yet sometimes it's not easy when cooking to calculate the cals with total precision, I sometimes get the feeling I could be 60 or so under or 60 or so above...... Does that ever happen to you?
Also on feast days, when you're eating out etc how are you supposed to know the calories of the food in your plate? It wouldn't be too hard to exceed 2000 calories if you're having let's say pasta with wine for dinner and you had a hefty brekfast and a roll for lunch....
Lots of people on here use a nutrition counter like My Fitness Pal. Sometimes you can find restaurant type meals in there too. Even if not completely accurate they can give you a good idea.
Hi humpty,i don't think 60 cals above or below your 600 will make much difference in the long run
Eating out..sometimes nowadays you find menus which have the cal count on them.
If not,what i often do is look up the calorie value of what i plan to eat,and make a guesstimate as well as i can..it gives me a rough idea.
usually feast days are at home, so i can weigh stuff and get an accurate picture of calories consumed. Keep to yr TDEE some days,a bit under on other days,a free from counting day once a week or so..and you will see results x
@humptydumpty I saw you live in Rome, where they may not have the same ethos for calorie counting their pasta and wine!
I frequently went over my 500 cals on a fast day, but stayed well within (and under) my TDEE on fast days. You'll soon find what works for you x
Ha ha ha ha, tee hee, snigger, snort, and other unseemly guffaws...

... oh dear, says FatDog with tears streaming down her nose, you see...

... for me that is absolutely hilarious as I've probably managed to get below 500 calories on my repair days about half a dozen times since starting this lark!

And today is repair number 122... Oh, and it's worked - I've lost more than 25% of my starting body weight.

I really wouldn't get hung up on the odd excess calorie or ten, this WoE is incredibly forgiving. And thank-you for cheering my (otherwise horrible) day @humptydumpty, and all the very best for this journey, FatDog :)
:heart: Hi @humptydumpty Yes I went over my allowance quite often still do on occasion don't worry to much it's far more important to get used to fasting first did you fill in your tracker to see what figure that gives you?
I use Calorie Count New Recipe builder that Caroline put somewhere on this site you can obviously use as check on homemade dishes but I sometimes just fill in my foods eaten all day as a calorie counter plus it give you all the nutritional info very handy if you're trying to reduce
carbs like me. :heart: Sue
One day I just got fed up and ended up "bingeing" on cereal...so I gave up and just ate. Did it make me happy? Not really :frown:

Anyway, sometimes we go over a bit. Try not to worry too much about it...just don't do it again!!

Bean :confused:
Tonight! I was planning on a liquid fast and did the family ham, brocolli and cheese pasta bake. I ended up eating hubbies leftovers. I have no ide what the calorie value was, as he only nibbled at the bowlful. There was a couple of tablespoons of butter, two BIG handfuls of grated cheese, and about 100grams of ham, plus the pasta. between 4 people and I had a quarter. I'm not classing it as a failed fast because that is all I had today. I can't see it being 1000kcals, it may not even have made it to 500kcals (unlikely) but it was a major reduction in my daily calories.
Thanks everyone, I got a severe bout of the runners (do you say that? It's when you have to er.... repeatedly run to the toilet) so there, problem solved! Life in unpredictable :-/
Absolutely fabulous thread you peeps, I'm grinning from ear to ear. I have no idea what a calorie is in terms of eating one, but I know my body is grumbling big time - give me one, or 2,000. After my fast today I will eat eggs tomorrow. Yeh!

Lizbean, anyone seen my good friend Bean walking the corridors today? Bean was lonely but she did bump into Brian for a good chat.
I usually try to undershoot, but mostly because my TDEE is only about 1500. Yesterday I went over, just by a bit, but I was feeling poorly and was more famished than usual...
12 posts Page 1 of 1