The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

13 posts Page 1 of 1
I'm just back from the supermarket and saw Mimi's book there. It came out after I was already established in a 5:2 routine so I didn't rush out to buy it.

Is there anyone using it? What do they think Favourite recipes? Worth buying?

There are lots of references to the Hairy Dieters first book, but none that I've seen to either Mimi's or the HD's second book.
Opinions please
I brought at Brisbane Qld airport bookshop and then didn't use it. Looks good though.

Instead I do the soups from this forum which are just delightful. If you were starting out it would be a fab book Mimi's that is as the indexes which give you a very good range of different calorie meals eg 100cals 200cals etc. Also it is very informative. Might use it more in summer.

You do get used to your go to fast day foods I find,
I bought it but haven't really used it. I tend to be a bit of a creature of habit though when it comes to meals.
I have it but still havnt used it. I am thinking about getting the hairy dieters cookbook too from everyones references. I peeped at it at the book shop and i liked the look of it. It seemed warm and like real family food compared to mimis.
I use it, it's pretty good. The daal recipes are fabulous, you can make the full quantity and then just freeze in portions. Really good for quick fast day dinners.
I once read that if a recipe book yields 3 recipes that you like and continue to use you are doing well. The first Hairy Dieters book certainly fulfills that for me, I peeked in the second one and wasn't immediately grabbed by anything similarly I didn't spot a "must cook" dish in Mimi's.

Thanks jospeirs for being the first user to reply :smile:
I have the Hairy Dieters second book and it is full of brilliant recipes and some with very low calorie counts.
My main source of ideas is the Lavender & Lovage site, there is a dedicated 5:2 recipe section (http://www.lavenderandlovage.com/catego ... l/5-2-diet) fabulous curried carrot soup @ 85 calories and lovely sausage pasta & tarragon chicken dishes. The Cajun chicken kebabs have been served to non-dieters & gone down very well. The thing I really like, apart from all the delicious food ideas, is that they mostly only use a few ingredients and take very little time to prepare & cook. We often have meals from there at weekends too but with some added extras & wine !
Just bought the HD's second book and I'm making their chicken bhuna for dinner tonight. There are quite a few recipes I'll be doing from this one as well as the first one.
We regularly use a couple of recipes from Mimi's book: and intend to try more of them eventually.
Chicken puttanesca. Delicious and freezes well. Serve with calorie counted vegetables.
Lightweight Cottage pie (with celeriac topping) and its very good. Also serve with calorie counted green vegetables. I freeze dishes to serve 2 for my OH and me.
Great to avoid cooking onto fast days and have tasty satisfying food. I have the Hairy Bikers book too, but haven't yet used the recipes though they look very good.
:clover: @SianS could you tell me the title of the first Hairy Dieters cookbook so i buy the right one please. Thanks in advance. :heart: Julianna
@Katharina thanks for the tip on the lightweight cottage pie tip, have celeriac in fridge. Thanks Sian for reminding me to use the book but as I replied above what looks good to me is the capacity to grab a book that gives you every recipe calorie counted. That was the hardest part at the start for me when looking inspiring recipes
Yes I use Mimi's book at least once a week. The Shepherds pie is very good, as is the lo-lo meatballs with cavola nero, which we grew from seed this year. The red lentil with roti is also very tasty . The fluffed prawn omlette is a good filling breakfast for 207 cals. Mimi is a great fan of chilli and if you use her recipes I would advise half quantities of chilli!
Yes. I'm busy working through most of the dishes. I love the Shaksouka, the Vietnamese sea bass and the soups. Some of the dishes in it are also useful for non fast days too when you decide to be saintly or just want a bigger portion.
13 posts Page 1 of 1