The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
I know many people get so upset when they see their weight going up instead of down. How's this??? Yesterday I weighed in at 101.8kg. That was UP 500 GRAMS FROM MY VERY FIRST DAY BACK ON 5:2 AT THE START OF NOVEMBER!!!

Today? 99.6kg. Down 2.2kg in a day. That's 4lbs 13oz! IN A DAY!

All I can say is, 'Thank goodness I am not a weekly or monthly weigher who just happened to pick yesterday as my chosen weigh in day." Can you imagine my movitivation if yesterday was my first weigh in day since I started back on 5:2?? Eleven fast days and a gain of 500grams??

Without starting up the whole daily/weekly/monthly weigh in controversy again...

Has anyone else experienced a 2+kg weight variation in a day??? It wasn't scale placement changes (because God knows, when I saw 101.8, I moved those scales to twenty different positions).

Good thing is...I finally got into double figures (if only for a day today) and even better...I got to change my radio station at last! 99.7FM. Yay for me!

P.S. Weigh daily, average it weekly. Sorry, couldn't resist jumping up on the ol' soapbox again.

99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99

Yay!
I'm standing my ground, Fish :smile:
A dot a week, or a dot a day, my trendline would be identical. I haven't had the kind of swings you are describing, but when I'm up one week, I know I'll be down the next. Or the next. I've been dropping about 1/2 pound a week quite steadily since March, and I only have to think about the "number" on Friday mornings. This approach does make sense for some of us!

BTW, our goals are the same - 98. Different units of measurement, though... :grin:
As I'm the shortest person on this forum (I think), 98 pounds isn't nearly as thin as it sounds.
You learn to trust the trend line as truthful mediator.

In reviewing the numbers my weight from morning to night has varied from -1 pound (.5 kg) to +8 pounds (3.6kg). Eye-ball average is +3 (1.4kg).

Overnight loss varies from 0 to -6 (2.7 kg), also with an average most day of around 3 pounds (1.4 kg).
I am with you. Yesterday morning I was 72.2kg and 70.2kg this morning. :grin:

Now I did fast yesterday but 2kg seems a lot to lose in one day. Every day I drink 2-3 litres of water and exercise at least three times a week (also on holidays). I am continuing with daily weigh-ins!
Lets see, I had a 7lb increase in one 12 hour period last week. I had lost it all again within another 12 hours. I pee'd like a drain though.
You could weigh weekly but hop on the scales the next day when you don't like what you see haha.

I'm a daily weigher (once a day in the morning), but it's taken some getting used to. I'm not crazy about the roller coaster!
I always seem to be 1-1.5 kg lighter first thing in the morning, I guess that's when I'm most dehydrated.
I've been weighing myself daily for a wee while now and yes, I can have some big ups and downs. My normal weight loss after a fast day s 2lb but yesterday morning I weighed 165lbs, I fasted yesterday and this morning I weigh 161lbs. I am absolutely convinced it is to do with my salt intake and therefore water retention. I had munched my way through a large packet of those posh salted crisps on my last feed day!
Hi @The Fishbaum I just wanted to say Woohoo!!! Well done for getting to 99 anything. I know thats been your goal. :like: In my book, if I've eyeballed that low weight then that's the weight I record on the tracker. I don't care if its not a true weight or I probably am dehydrated. It just makes me happy and the overall progress is downwards so its all cool.
My weight on a monday morning is about 2.5 kgs more than friday morning consistently.
Xxx julianna
biggest weight gain or loss has been about 1.1 kg. ive seen it both ways.

as you nearer your "target" or "fit" weight in my experience the range from one day to the next seems to narrow a bit. i guess your body is reaching its "right weight".. there was a term for that somewhere on the forum .. i cant remember it
I weigh myself every day and find that I can gain 2kg quite easily from one day to the next if I have eaten a lot of carbs during that 24 hour period. However, I'm also finding that I am losing just under 2kg with every fasting day. That means that since my motive just now is to maintain the weight range that I'm within just now rather than to lose more weight, I actually have to gain weight over my feeding days because there needs to be a weight gain that will cancel out the weight loss from my fasting days over the course of the week.

At the moment, I have been so careful with my eating immediately after each fasting day that I have managed to maintain the same weight until the end of the week that I was after my one fasting day that I have in each week, end even lose a pound during that time. I'm then relaxing my eating habits over the weekend but that isn't producing enough of a weight gain to completely cancel out the weight loss from my one fasting day per week and so, the net result of that is that I am losing weight, currently at the rate of about a pound per week.

Because of that, it now looks as though I will need to relax my eating habits a bit during the week if I want to continue with my current 6:1 regime, and allow myself to gain a little bit of weight during that time. By weighing myself every day, I am more or less able to control what my weight will be on the following day so if I find that I have gained too much weight on any given day, I have the option of a reduced calorie day on the following day, which will then usually be enough to rectify that problem without necessarily having to take an extra fasting day (in the sense of how a fasting day is defined under this WOE).
Juliana.Rivers wrote: biggest weight gain or loss has been about 1.1 kg. ive seen it both ways.

as you nearer your "target" or "fit" weight in my experience the range from one day to the next seems to narrow a bit. i guess your body is reaching its "right weight".. there was a term for that somewhere on the forum .. i cant remember it

Set Point:
: the level or point at which a variable physiological state (as body temperature or weight) tends to stabilize

I thought I was there a few pounds ago, but I'm not letting my body win this one - it's mind over matter, by golly :smile:
(I'm only talking a few pounds, not trying to be super thin or anything)
12 posts Page 1 of 1