The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Dreading Thanksgiving week
14 Nov 2013, 18:18
OK, as we all know, the Holiday season is around the corner and here in the US all starts on Thanksgiving week, the last week of November. I am not American but I happily follow the local traditions, especially when they involve get-togethers and food. This year we are going to celebrate a Thanksgiving feast on Thanksgiving day with some friends and another Thanksgiving feast the day after Thanksgiving with other friends. That makes 2 feasts in a row during the week (Thursday and Friday) so I will most likely not be able to fit 2 fasts on that week. I am debating whether to try to fit a fast during the weekend or just fast once that week and go back to my 2 fasts the following week. I guess I will decide when the time comes depending on the activities going on that week.

Fivetwoing is going to be a challenge!!!!! and don't get me started with Christmas as we go to Mexico and there we have a party everyday for 9 days before Christmas and then 2 more parties for New Year. AND I will be tasting all the treats that I miss living abroad.
Re: Dreading Thanksgiving week
14 Nov 2013, 18:43
Don't worry about it too much! Look at your portions sizes and eat lots of veg. I have been to a few parties just lately and I don't pick at nibbles for the sake of it. Also I don't drink as much alcohol - I have a long soft low drink in between. It can be done you can still have a fab time and enjoy the foods on offer :grin:
14 Nov 2013, 21:27
There's no law to say you must fast twice in a week :grin: . Just enjoy yourself!
14 Nov 2013, 21:31
I wouldn't worry too much about Thanksgiving week ... I'd be terrified :bugeyes: of your 2 weeks in Mexico with all the social gatherings and lovely, lovely, lovely mexican food and holiday tamales! :grin:
14 Nov 2013, 22:40
Lol! tamales are not my downfall but give me some real tacos al pastor, kekas del mercado, pozole, garnachas, etc and I am doomed!
14 Nov 2013, 22:53
Betsysgr8 wrote: I wouldn't worry too much about Thanksgiving week ... I'd be terrified :bugeyes: of your 2 weeks in Mexico with all the social gatherings and lovely, lovely, lovely mexican food and holiday tamales! :grin:

I was in Mexico for the Millennium as my sister and family lived there for a while. I would just enjoy the food, in the knowledge that you can repair any damage Iztla. Best memory - meal at the San Angel Inn, M City - and those margaritas ... :bugeyes: :shock: :lol:
14 Nov 2013, 23:57
Ohhhh Silverdarling I cannot believe I forgot about the margaritas, tequila, pina colada, etc, etc etc that I will HAVE to enjoy...

And you are right! I will enjoy the food and drinks and resume fasting in 2014... Let me just get past Thanksgiving ;)
15 Nov 2013, 00:12
I have been thinking about Thanksgiving - I think I might do a Monday and Wednesday fast that week. I don't want to do Friday as we have off from work.
One thing that helps me when I'm away is to stick with meals. If I pick all day I end up eating double what I would've had if I just did 3 solid meals. Mexico sounds like fun!
15 Nov 2013, 00:56
Yeah. Thanksgiving and all the holidays are tough. I am still planning MWF fasts. But, in my head I know the reality of the situation is that I will have to be preparing food and desserts on Wednesday to take to our gatherings on Thursday. I always have a pretty tough time with making desserts at the end of fast day for events the next day. Just last night my OH requested I make one of my faves, No Bake Cookies for him to take to a work pot luck. Nothing like smelling up the whole house like sugar, vanilla, peanut butter and chocolate at 11pm on a fast day. I didn't eat a single cookie. But, I did lick the spoon and scrape the pan after the were all made. :starving: :frown: It is just too much temptation for me.

When I went to Cancun (January 2013) the margaritas and pina coladas were more of an issue than the food for me. I am a picky eater and while the food was mostly amazing it wasn't always what I was used to or expecting when we ordered. I am bilingual so it wasn't a language issue, just things prepared differently, sauces I didn't always like, etc.. By the end of the trip we were going to the buffet style meals instead of the restaurants because it was just easier trying new things that way. Everything was all inclusive anywyay including the alcohol.

I was doing 4:3 before we left and when we came home...but definitely not at all on the trip. The only thing I even attempted was saving carbs for dinner. I tried to stick to mostly lower carb things and lighter eating for breakfast and lunch and kept the carbs, alcohol and indulging for evening.

YOLO, you know. Life is meant for living and holidays are meant for celebrations. Eat, drink and be merry on holidays and vacations. Deal with the damage when you get back home. That's my philosophy, anyway and this WOE actually makes celebrations and holidays a little easier. I don't have to feel guilty about holiday indulgences on a free day. This WOE lets me practice free days and indulgences every week; which prepares you for real life, maintenance, normal eating, etc.
15 Nov 2013, 02:38
I agree with everyone here, and 43tweaker said it best - eat, drink and be merry.

The intriguing thing that I've gleaned from your story @Iztla is that you must be fully trilingual. At least. I'm very envious of that.
10 posts Page 1 of 1