The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

2 posts Page 1 of 1
This is an interesting study on diabetes and fasting. Early days for this research, but good to see fasting playing a part in a positive health outcome.

A fasting diet has the ability to regenerate the pancreas and could potentially reverse diabetes, researchers have found.

A US study, published in scientific journal Cell, tested a modified version of the fasting-mimicking diet (FMD) on both mice and human cells.

The findings showed cycles of the diet could regenerate pancreatic cells to restore insulin in type 1 diabetes patients and could also reverse both type 1 and 2 diabetes in mice.

The study's co-author, Dr Valter Longo from the University of Southern California, told the ABC the findings were "potentially very exciting" because they could lead to cures for both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-26/fasting-diet-could-reverse-diabetes-and-regenerate-the-pancreas/8304426
I'm finding this study rather astounding. That fasting (or many diets, actually) would help with type II diabetes doesn't surprise me, but type I. Regenerating beta cells is no simple thing. I keep meaning to read the original paper. Another one for spring break, I think.
2 posts Page 1 of 1