The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Fasting for monks from the BBC!
14 Jan 2014, 05:45
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25592458

I ignored the religious aspect but found it an insightful article. And as it says, fasting with friends makes it much easier!!
People forget that fasting is not new. Thanks Deb.
Lovely article- thanks for sharing :)
I like the 'lions are not fed on Fridays' sign at the zoo!
That was very interesting, thanks Debs

Ballerina x :heart:
There is an article in the BBC News Magazine today which you might be interested to read:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25592458

Highlights:

...The trick, he says, is to gradually get used to the idea of fasting. The body "craves what it expects".

He advises starting by giving up breakfast or your mid-morning biscuits to ease yourself in. When you've mastered that, then give up something else. A bread-and-water-only diet is a sensible approach, he says.

Drinking a lot of liquids is crucial, Father Alexander adds. It helps create the illusion that you have a full stomach.

...Hunger pangs are inevitable even for old hands. Especially when there's freshly baked bread or a bacon sandwich in the vicinity.

So what should you do?

Learn to discipline the mind, says Father Alexander. "If on a fast day you're thinking about chocolate cake, or having scampi tonight, then it's totally unhelpful."

Push the thought gently away and instead concentrate on something you should be doing, he says.

Edit: Oops, sorry, seems there is a thread for this already. My bad. Mods - delete for repetition if you wish.
Thanks for that good little read @Tuesday. And on some of my fastdays I am thinking chocolate cake. lol
But I try to convince myself that the tummy grumbles is down to fat burning so a lot of it is in the mind :clover:
Welcome Tuesday. Don't worry about posting again. I missed it first time around :like:
No problem @Tuesday I merged the 2 threads. ;)
I enjoyed reading that article thanks @Debs - I remember the early days as a child doing so called 'fasting' for Lent and giving up chocolate, it was such a big deal back then.

Now I can go for days without chocolate and on Fast Days without a lot of food, and I don't bat an eye lid now.

It certainly can be mind power.

Thanks for sharing.
cheers Maggie. :smile: :smile:
10 posts Page 1 of 1