The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
I have started experimenting with recipes for flatbread, using gram (chickpea/besan) flour as its naturally gluten free.
The first batch made today used 250g of flour and a teaspoon of caraway seed whisked well with 500ml warm water and left covered in the bowl over night. This morning I skimmed off the foam formed on the top, added a little salt and pepper and 50ml olive oil and stirred in well then poured onto an oiled deep sided baking sheet and popped in the oven on gas 6 for 20 minutes.
It tastes sort of beany and I think the caraway helps tone that down, it may be a bit too oily for me. Interesting.
Any one got any recipes they use for me to try please? I'm keen to find one OH will eat, he gave today's 0/10.
I once had a wonderful book of flatbreads. It was a collection of recipes the authors had collected travelling around the world and had recipes from China, the middle east, Africa... everywhere. It was such a great book. I think it was a library book. Have a look in your local library! I tried out quite a lot of them. Central Asian flat breads are great.
Thanks @Sallyo, I'm certainly keeping my eyes open for such a book as I wander charity shop book shelves, my usual source for books!
I've found a recipe that incorporates desiccated coconut so may try that one next :0)
I must say though that I've felt wonderfully full and 'complete' since brunch so worth trying these breads.
However, I seem to have just eaten an early dessert of fresh cherries smothered with natural Greek yogurt topped with a shake of flaked almonds. I'd have been too full to have it after dinner, honest!
*waves to winter folks*
I can attest to how good they are as they are cheap and plentiful here in Qatar so I haven't felt the knead to make them :lol:
I know that I don't feel as bloated as I do when I eat yeast based bread, or get heartburn as frequently.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1050 ... flatbreads

Haven't had chance to try this as not at home at the moment @azurebluebut looks ok and in the comments at the bottom of the page there are lots of 'tweaking' suggestions to ring the changes. Found on Google. (Edited as Jamie's recipe kept appearing when I copied URL and his recipe isn't gluten free)
Many thanks @AnnieW, looks good. It's on the list to try :0)
I used to make a lot of flat bread but the only thing I remember about the recipe is that they didn't cook in the oven but on the stove like you would cook pancakes. They were really filling so it's a real shame that I don't remember the exact recipe...

Thanks, @AnnieW I will try this one. bbcgoodfood is one of my favorite site to find recipes ideas and the comments are almost always really helpful
Today's flatbread is gram flour and desiccated coconut and tasted delicious.
Makes 6/8 flat bread
Ingredients

1½ cup chickpea/gram flour (aka besan) + (extra to coat the rolling surface) or use coconut flour for coating
½ cup unsweetened & dried desiccated coconut
A pinch of salt
½ cup water or coconut water
Coconut oil, tsp to fry per flatbread
Instructions

In a large mixing bowl, add chickpea flour, desiccated coconut and a pinch of salt. Use a fork to mix until well combined.
Use the fork to gradually stir in the water or coconut water to the dry ingredients until dough is roughly formed.
Use one hand to knead the dough until a smooth ball is formed.
Break the dough into smaller pieces and roll them into smaller balls (roughly the size of a golf ball).
To roll them out into flat bread, first coat the rolling pin and the surface you are going to roll with generous amount of chickpea or coconut flour.
Dip a small piece of dough into chickpea or coconut flour.
Slightly flatten with your palm and sprinkle more chickpea or coconut flour on both sides.
Roll into a thin disc, so that it cooks through in the couple of minutes both sides in the pan.
Place it onto a heated and lightly greased (I use coconut oil) pan and cook over medium-high heat on both sides until very lightly charred.
Repeat the above steps with the remaining dough.

I used the coconut flour coating and coconut water to mix and coconut oil to fry as I'm a bit of a coco-nut and it took away the strong beany taste. They are a lot drier than the first recipe so I needed my cup of coffee with them, and filling too, but I thought they tasted proper good, and no gluten or processed anything.
Will make again :0)
8 posts Page 1 of 1