The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

15 posts Page 1 of 1
For those struggling
29 Aug 2013, 20:55
I have noticed there is a bit of disappointment creeping in with quite a few people and thought I would share some of my observations on being able to lose weight whilst following this WOL.

Firstly it is IMPERATIVE that you get your head into the right space. Why are you doing this? Health, looking good, it's time, a special occassion, for life...all of the above? Then you need to keep this in mind whilst you perservere. Stop obsessing about scales and weight and being disappointed one day and ecstatic the next - it's a journey to health and there will be troughs and hills. Don't go hard on yourself if u have a trough. Give yourself a good talking to (or the wet fish) on why you are doing this and get back to it.

Secondly and I think this is VERY important. Find a way to fast where it is not a struggle. I have gone thru struggle town when I have changed things around (for no reason than I have been influenced by others :>). Now I am doing what I know works for me: HUGE bowl of vegie soup for bfst (yes I know it sounds odd, but it keeps u full for hours on 70 cals), black coffee and water till I get home from work, 8 cal hot choc, then vegies in some form for dinner and a mini choc fudge protein bar. I am only a little hungry during the day, but not ravenous. So you need to find a way to fast that gets you through without it being a struggle. Don't be afraid to think outside the square eg veg soup for bfst, vegetarian eating on fast days - veg has LOW cals, are very filling and can be the glue on a fast day. I mean you could eat 3 whole cauliflowers on fast day - would you be full eating that? Sure, you'd be stuffed!

The next thing is: Watch that you don't go off on a tangent if you don't need to. It is easy to read all of this helpful stuff and then u read something u think u should try cos everyone is else is doing it (not true anyway, just some people are doing it successfully) and suddenly you find yourself watching food 7 days a week, stressing if things don't seem right, then feeling lost in the jumble of info here. No criticism to anyone, but we need to be mindful that we can get carried away - yes it has happened to me a few times here and then I see my family & friends who DON"T read all this stuff, doing what they started doing and doing it successfully, so I realise sometimes u just need to get back to basics.

We also need to remember that although our weight is important in the scheme of our healthy lives, the sky won't fall in if we put on 1kg, whilst having a great time :razz:

Lastly I always go back to the advise of Dr Mosley (on that OTHER website):

What do I do if I am not losing weight?
Try adding another fast day to make it a 4:3 Fasting pattern as this still allows you some flexibility as to which days to fast.
If you want to lose weight faster, or have hit a plateau with the 4:3 Fast, then you might consider doing Alternate Day Fasting. As the name implies, with ADF you cut your calories to ¼ of their normal level (ie 500 for women, 600 for men), every other day. On your non-fast days you eat normally, though in some trials of ADF the volunteers were allowed to eat what they wanted and still lost weight. Studies on people doing ADF have shown that, on average, they tend to lose around 2lbs a week, most of it fat.
You don’t want to obsess about weight. What you really want to do is lose fat, preferably around the gut. I encourage you, before you start, to measure your girth (around the belly button), and monitor the change over a period of time.
Look at the calories you are getting from drinks on your non fast days. Juices, lattes, alcohol, fizzy drinks, smoothies all contain a lot of calories. If you can move to drinking more water and sugar free tea/coffee that will help. Calories you drink do not satiate. If you eat three apples they will fill you up. Drink 3 apples in form of a small fruit juice and it will not fill you up.
Simply moving more will help. I always take the stairs, even up 7 flights. Get a pedometer. Aim to do 10,000 steps a day. Most people do less than 5000. A long term study on people who lost weight and kept it off found that those who were successful all increased the amounts they walked.
Keep a diary of everything you eat or drink for a week. Then look at the calorie content. Some foods may leap out. I was horrified to discover a muffin can be anywhere between 300-600 calories. Lots of evidence that people who keep an honest diary lose more weight
If you cut your calories 2 days a week, don’t overcompensate on the other days and keep reasonably active then you will lose fat. Unfortunately fat is incredibly energy dense, which is why for some people the process can be frustratingly slow.
Re: For those struggling
29 Aug 2013, 21:03
Excellent post. Thanks for the reminders.
29 Aug 2013, 21:11
Sound advice for everyone that :like: I myself got a little stuck a few weeks back, and did my next week of 3 fasts as if they were my very first ones :heart: bingo started to lose again, the morel of the story being I was sneaking a few to many treats back into my life :clover: Sue
29 Aug 2013, 21:12
Very well said. Thank you.
29 Aug 2013, 21:17
Very well said and I've been thinking the same. I've also been stressing about the lack of loss. Then I decided enough! I've gone back to just eating normally on feed days and enjoying healthy and some not so healthy foods and guess what? The weight is slowly dropping, sure it's up and down but the trend is down. This is what works for me.
Thanks for the post.
29 Aug 2013, 21:44
So glad that you have done this post GMH. Very forthright, focused, no faffing or footling about!
Many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, and I hope this post is quoted whenever it's needed in days to come. It should be our new mantra.
29 Aug 2013, 21:59
Thank you GMH, your post really helps to get the focus and simplicity back again into this WOE which is where and why we started out and were so attracted to it, whether from reading the book or talking to people who are being successful.
We have been on the 5:2 since January, gliding along in our routine and successful without any frills, planning what suits us and enjoying our more controlled normal days!
I love joining in here and am so enjoying the forum to get ideas on coping with hunger, take some advice, read about all the various successes, enjoy the humour, sympathise with peoples challenges and learn about some of the science (we are both biologists). It gives one confidence and motivation. However my husband is not interested beyond just getting on with life and properly doing two fast days. So we don't get OTT having big discussions etc around calories and we do love good food and wine. We have adjusted naturally, are more controlled, eat less, feel well and lost inches - lots of other benefits too.
This diet/ WOE is just simplicity itself. :like:
29 Aug 2013, 22:01
Thank you - very well put, voice of reason.
30 Aug 2013, 07:12
Silverdarling wrote: So glad that you have done this post GMH. Very forthright, focused, no faffing or footling about!
Many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, and I hope this post is quoted whenever it's needed in days to come. It should be our new mantra.

I am having a laugh @ this Silverdarling...& others, so assesses my personality!..and I didn't even realise that's what I was doing.

Well it is how I am, always looking for a solution rather than being sympathetic...oops! Although I am seriously left brain, I do quite like hocus pocus (that I have found to work) as well. I was VERY into NLP in the 90s and I have a formula for success, that I learnt. Here goes (in a dieting sense):

Picture yourself slim, gorgeous, healthy, living the perfect life for you.
FEEL how this picture makes you feel
SAY that you are slim, look fabulous are incredibly healthy.

Add whatever it is that you wish to be - and do it over and over and over (It feels great so why not) - any spare minute you have think it, feel it, see it. It works. I won $50,000 on a TV quiz show using this method. Everyone else was surprised but me. And that my friends is the truth and not the only thing I have manifested.
30 Aug 2013, 07:14
Thank you for this - very timely for me. I will read this a few times I think. :like:
30 Aug 2013, 07:24
Brilliant post GMH. When I finally get the hang of linking posts etc it'll be on the list of support/info
but I won't retire the wet fish! :D
30 Aug 2013, 07:29
Thank you- Needed to read this, have put a pound on since my first fast day of the week(Tues) and was starting to feel sorry for myself! I will carry on and when I weigh myself next Tuesday that pound will be gone again!!
30 Aug 2013, 08:00
janeg I used to work with someone who used to say: 'Better than a slap up the fanny with a wet fish' :grin: :grin: I always loved that
30 Aug 2013, 09:02
Very good post.

I think that's it's so easy to over-complicate things, just best to stick with it and not think too much! :-)
30 Aug 2013, 10:22
Nicely put GMH but those of us who do things differently do so out of choice usually driven by a need. If we are happy with our choices of being proactive and if a variation to the theme works for us I figure that is our prerogative
15 posts Page 1 of 1