The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

27 posts Page 1 of 2
Hey peeps

Once the Springing into Fall campaign properly completes (end September I believe), this is a great time to think ho ho ho

October 1 gives us all a good 2 and half months.

Indeed with Father's Day (in Australia) coming up soon, the stores will be all ready to start hauling the Christmas dec's out for sale. That always leaves me quite scared that
- the year has nearly ended and i havent completed all those tasks I wanted to do
- what do i get "Aunt May" this year.
- where will Christmas be celebrated this year.

Hoping this one will be a Merry one for everyone here in the forum and that we can be feeling trim and t'riffic when it is time to celebrate with family, friends and colleagues.

So don't proclaim any Christmas goals quite yet. about 5 weeks to go.

Cheers

JR
Christmas already?? We're still on summer hols JR!!!!

Looking forward to joining you all in the Christmas club soon :)
Nicky_94 wrote: Christmas already?? We're still on summer hols JR!!!!

Looking forward to joining you all in the Christmas club soon :)

i do web promotion work for people and yep .. they are already making plans for this Christmas.
The Iceland Christmas ad was being filmed in our shopping centre yesterday-someone said Peter Andre was involved. I only saw them manufacturing fake snow!
I like the trim and triffic slogan JR ! X
Certainly want to achieve my Christmas 2013 goal this year :bugeyes:
I know the feeling @rawkaren..me too x :confused:
Oh my first christmas challenge
Just 4 weeks from tomorrow..........

be ready everyone. Think about your goals. Dont forget to make them achievable. Don't post your goal till October 1 when I start the thread.

And if you are maintaining you are most welcome to take part as even maintainers have goals. It may not be loss but just "no gain" or maybe some other measure of fitness.

I probably wont do a group tally this time. Had a thought about dividing people up into type of IF method groups but that seems like too much hard work and also stops people being able to switch midway.

Any other ideas you might have to make this a really fun Christmas challenge?
Yup Crimbo planning time is upon us - The shops are already full of christmas cards...and ive already seen artificial trees on display! I've heard of Christmas works nights out already arranged and you wont believe this, i passed a house on the bus with crimbo deccies up in the porch! We can only wonder are they up for this Christmas, or did they never get taken down from last Christmas...
I once shared a flat with three girls and we didnt take our deccies down til May coz we were too lazy!
So yeh Xmas challenge approaches,tho JR @Juliana.Rivers i can't put the words " fun" and" challenge" in the same sentence! :lol:
Want some feedback on an idea for the Christmas challenge

I came across Sarah's "I quit sugar" ideas and program
http://iquitsugar.com/
http://iquitsugar.com/8-week-program/

and wonder if for the 2 month Christmas challenge i have an opt in on a similar "i quit sugar" challenge as well

You would set your normal targets (weight loss, bmi, etc) but then say if you would consider opting into a quitting or minimising sugar challenge.

I am nott necessarily advocating a complete zero intake of sugar as that's neither possible (for me) or just too difficult to achieve if you are not used to not having sugar. I am thinking about merely a real "cut out unnecessary sugar" mindset and even on non fast days or in your eating "windows".

According to Sarah it's a no fruit concept too as fruit has sugar but I just cant get my head around not eating any fruit and all it's benefits and the fibre so the JR challenge is limited to not consuming additional sugars in the form of sugar (the white stuff) neat, in cooking or in the form of candy and chocolate or "almost" cutting out these additions to your diet completely.

At Christmas, the challenge will be over and you can consume the puddings, trimmings and chocolates, as desired. If there are Christmas parties during challenge time, I guess we can make an exception.

The cut extra sugar challenge for Christmas challenge would be optional of course.

Thoughts?
I think adding an optional element of giving up added sugar to the Christmas Challenge is really exciting.

Although eliminating any kind of food is not part of Intermittent Fasting, judging by the posts on the forum some of us are interested in the effects on our weight, or health generally, of some of the things we eat. Having a short trial of the benefits/disadvantages and difficulties of giving something up in the supportive context of a Challenge would definitely motivate me.

Sugar is a good one, but how about we each pick our own? For instance, I might try wheat.
barbarita wrote: I think adding an optional element of giving up added sugar to the Christmas Challenge is really exciting.

Although eliminating any kind of food is not part of Intermittent Fasting, judging by the posts on the forum some of us are interested in the effects on our weight, or health generally, of some of the things we eat. Having a short trial of the benefits/disadvantages and difficulties of giving something up in the supportive context of a Challenge would definitely motivate me.

Sugar is a good one, but how about we each pick our own? For instance, I might try wheat.

Yep i like that idea.. Pick one "nasty" to remove from our diet in this special challenge. Does add an extra element to the challenge denigrating the core benefits of IF alone.
Great idea ladies, I've already started quitting sugar (and by the way JR, Dr Lustig says sugar in fruit is fine because of the fibre so I'm with him on this one!) so I might either continue this or try something else depending on how it goes!
I don't think it would denigrate the core benefits of IF alone, because we don't know that everyone eats "everything in moderation" outside their fasting periods. We already know that a fair few low carb, for instance, and some members have already done their own challenges on sugar. We have vegan, lacto-vegetarian and omnivorous fasters. I am sure I remember some members posting that they are gluten-intolerant, and we may also have fasters with other allergies/intolerance who will already be avoiding certain foods. it will be interesting to compare people's experiences in a Challenge, for example on which fasting method they use, but there are already too many variables I think to draw scientific conclusions, so throwing some voluntary abstainers into the mix won't hurt.

In the case of maintainers, if someone gave up sugar they would have to up their intake of something else to keep their weight up.
27 posts Page 1 of 2