The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

11 posts Page 1 of 1
Guilty as Charged...
31 Jul 2013, 17:41
So.. I hear from most of you that the general rule of thumb is to weigh yourself weekly, not daily, but I could not resist, so I've been weighing myself each morning. I have only had ONE (yes, ONE) fast day so far, and my second for the week will be tomorrow. It is also "that time of the month", which will probably account for some water weight loss as well. HOWEVER, for the first time in many months, my scale has gone from around 186lbs-183 lbs lowest, to 181.2 this morning!! I almost fell over. I am not sure if it's pure water or not, but I was happy just to see the 181 which means I am inching closer to the 170s, where I was a year ago! I am excited and will post an "official" weigh in on this coming Monday, which would mark the end of my first week on 5:2 and the beginning of my second :)
Re: Guilty as Charged...
31 Jul 2013, 18:06
Well done! And nothing wrong with weighing daily (I do) as long as you don't get hung up with the wild fluctuations. :)
31 Jul 2013, 18:14
Sounds like you are off to a good start!

Here are some warnings for those just starting 5:2: 5-2-diet-chat-f6/topic6317.html
:clover:
31 Jul 2013, 18:17
A whole load of us weigh daily, you just have to be a bit zen about it. The number is the number and it's changed by a whole lot of factors but so long as the trend is down, it's fine.

What's not good is getting hung up on it and eating in distress. :-)
31 Jul 2013, 18:33
I weigh daily but only record my weight after my second fast day. As BBT053 says you need to keep calm about it and not end up comfort eating. :)
31 Jul 2013, 18:41
Thank you all! Believe me, I've been down a (similar) road before.. I first did Atkins for a very long time and took a LOT of weight off. Over time, the weight slowly crept back on and I remember seeing a picture of me and realizing how much I'd gained back. I then tried Medifast, and lost 25 lbs but It was SO expensive! I just heard about 5:2 from a coworker and this WOL/WOE sounds totally "doable" and something I can stick with without being too restricted or spending gobs of money on "diet foods." I know weight fluctuates, but I am still feeling good today due to the loss and actually looking forward to fasting tomorrow! :)
31 Jul 2013, 19:09
It's very doable.

It's one thing knowing it can fluctuate but when you're hungry or have been hungry, are feeling a bit deprived and have had a plateau for a month, it can mess with your head. Best to be prepared! :-)
31 Jul 2013, 19:12
There is no rule! I weigh daily, I did all my life and it is the only thing that kept me almost thin (it was the junk food that kept me from being actually thin though, LOL). I keep a small notebook in which I write down my daily weights but input only my official weekly on the tracker here.

Whatever helps you with losing weight, you do that and listen to no one!
31 Jul 2013, 23:50
I am trying to look at things this way: If I lose anything, even a bit initially, a loss is a loss. Then, weighing myself every day will help keep me in check. I know a lot of folks hit a plateau after a while and I am prepared for it, but I am still happy about my pleasant surprise so far, and I am not even on day 2 which will be tomorrow! Excited to see what the future holds and I think I will do ok. You all here have been so helpful and it has already made me feel confident! I can do this!! :)
01 Aug 2013, 00:52
Are you using an app like Libra or True Weight. They give a tend line that irons out the wild fluctuations so characteristic of 5:2. Weekly weighing has its risks too, given the wild fluctuations. Though weighing at a particular time relative to fasts probably gives a fairly accurate trend ( unless you're unlucky and retain water at the wrong time).

I started out without scales at home, weighing once a week at the health clinic at work. As I grew confident that I wouldn't get too obsessed, I bought scales and now weigh daily and record in true weight. The fluctuations are crazy, but so far I haven't let it upset me.
01 Aug 2013, 10:11
Hi Mary Ann! No, I have not heard of either of those two apps, but I will check them out..! I weighed again this morning, no change, which is good. Today will only be my very second fast day.
11 posts Page 1 of 1