The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

17 posts Page 1 of 2
How do you estimate calories?!
24 Sep 2013, 05:20
Hey everyone,

So tonight I'm going out for dinner for a friends birthday - All You Can Eat Italian. So yes, the worst! Pizza and pasta are my favourites. Especially the creamy types *drools*. I have only allowed myself 400 calories all day so that I don't have to worry tooooo much but I'm scared of overeating because I have no clue what calories are in either of these foods - I would guess 300 calories in an average slice of pizza but it really is a guess.
What do you all do in this situation?
Lil :heart:
Forgot to add - my TDEE is just over 1700.
Not sure how much a slice would be. 300 sounds about right.
Personally if it's a special occasion I would enjoy the food and company for one day and get back to the diet tomorrow.
Why not stick to soft drinks and not use up calories on wine (assuming here!)
I'm sure you won't be able to overeat on pasta and pizza as your stomach will have shrunk down with being on 5:2.
Hope you have a great night! :)
I'm sure I'll give it a good try! Haha.
Yeh the thing is I can't keep using that excuse of 'it's a special occasion' because these special occasions are happening 2-3 times a week haha and I'm not losing much :(
I would just assume they are all loaded with calories and leave it at that. Just eat say 1/2 of what you would normally and have a good time. Get back on board tomorrow. Otherwise you will spend your time fretting and not enjoy yourself. Definitely avoid the alcohol or just have a spritzer.
Thanks Toad. I think I'm just annoyed I won't be getting value for money haha although I know that is ridiculous.
I'm going to eat reaaaaally slowly too. Oh I'm looking forward to it lol.
I stopped going to all-you-can-eat events because what I feel like eating is not worth the money paid upfront. The calories in pizza and pasta vary a lot for the same amount. A dish of pasta (80 gr) with home made (little fat) tomato sauce and a sprinkle of parmigiano cheese is 450 calories, I am afraid. This is probably the less caloric, you can easily pass 1000 calories with a fat creamy sauce. Same is for pizza: thin dough, margherita (tomato sauce and mozzarella) goes ~ 270-300 calories for 100 gr. All the other pizza (thicker dough, fatty cheese, sauce and toppings give you more calories. I think thinking about calories in an all-you-can-eat italian feast is just depressing. better enjoy the evening and think about diet tomorrow. Good luck!
Thanks Pamico. I'm going with the right intentions.. no booze, planning to eat slowly and distract myself with good conversation.
Yeh I would rather avoid all you can eats but this is a birthday party so kind of hard to. I'm hoping they will have some salads too but I think that is wishful thinking. I have 1300 cals to play with though and that is a reasonable amount.
Hi Lil I eat out a lot and like you I worried because quite a few meals are Indian buffet so what I do is probably to late for you know but with remembering I fast the day before like I did yesterday then today I fast all day again until my eve meal out tonight then eat whatever I want becausei know it will be inside my TDEE of ( still 2000 for me)
Then willingly fast again tomorrow :clover: Sue. :clover:
I go to a pizzeria twice a month with my partner, have a whole pizza with a lot on it (not eveything but a lot), a salad and 2 or 3 glass of wine and it doesn't keep me from losing weight. When I know I'll go to the pizzeria, I fast until dinner and do a 16:8 the next day to "compensate" and don't focus on what I eat but on who I am with. It works great for me :wink:
US restaurants above a certain size must list calorie info. From Pizza Hut:

1 slice (1/8 pizza) from a 12" Pizza
Cheese PAN Pizza - 270 calories 13G fat
Cheese THIN 'N CRISPY Pizza - 200 calories 10G fat
Cheese HAND TOSSED Pizza - 230 calories 10G fat

1 slice (1/8 pizza) from a 14" Large Pizza
Cheese PAN Pizza - 390 calories 19G fat
Cheese THIN 'N CRISPY Pizza - 280 calories 12G fat
Cheese HAND TOSSED Pizza - 340 calories 14G fat
Cheese STUFFED CRUST Pizza - 360 calories 16G fat
Thanks everyone.
I fasted yesterday and have only had a small amount today and will fast again on Thursday.
I've failed already cuz I'm having a glass of wine before we head out.. Naughty I know :(
Fortunately, th e pizzas we have here are "normal" pizza with a human size and only on type of crust it would be exhausting to have to choose between all that:cool:
Real life happens and you should enjoy it too. That's one of the things I love about this way of eating. It has not stopped me going out for celebrations or having a lunch/dinner out here and there.

I have found my appetite has shrunk so even when I go out I actually eat less. All a step in the right direction.
Hi Lil,

In your case, with "special occasions" happening that often I would probably do Alternate Day Fasting if you plan to lose weight (one day you fast, the next day you don't, then repeat) and, as you did today, save your calories for the event.

I have noticed that since being on the FastDiet I eat better even when I am out with friends and family. I sit back and watch them all "pig out" and I genuinely do not feel like eating like that anymore. Sure I still enjoy pizza and wine and cake, but my wine glasses are smaller, my pizza slices are thinner, and so are my cake slices. I guess you will naturally move towards that when you remember you are doing this not just to lose weight but also to be healthier. So, don't stress out. Just manage what you can little by little and you will get there.
17 posts Page 1 of 2