The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Do you fast at work? How do you find it?

If you fast when not at work, how do you pass the time & keep busy?

#hintsandtips

:heart:
Hang out at the Crossfit box. Have to say after 6 months, it's not a huge issue.
What's the crossfit box?
Peeing. Haha. On weekends, cleaning house, working in the garden, running errands. On weekdays, I stay quite busy at work. On both, I sometimes go for a run. I don't plan around fast days anymore.

Usually fasting at work is ok, but certain tasks require a lot of brain power, and I sometimes (particularly early on) find it hard to concentrate. I usually go for a short walk or have a miso soup when that happens.
Just keeping busy does it. Somedays I don't think I'll make it to lunchtime without eating but then I go off to do something and before I know it, it's way past when I thought I'd eat. It works every time,

Ballerina x :heart:
I find it's important to fill the usual eating times with something different and usually tackle a job that needs doing, although having two children I spend a lot of eating times feeding them, have to say I've never been one to pick from my kids plates or finish what they haven't so it hasn't been a problem, I do always have an early night on a fast day and read in bed which is actually quite a treat and something I look forward to.
I don't work so I try and plan my fast days to be the busiest days of the week, and I find that really helps, it also helps to be out of the house, ysterday for example I fasted and took my kids on a daytrip to an aquarium. On the days I'm at home and bored and I think I just can't do it I get myself a drink and tell myself I can eat something in 20 mins if I still want to, and I never do, waiting works every time for me. I've also noticed that I get a lot more housework/ironing/uni work done on fast days, as I keep as busy as possible and also because I have more energy!
I keep busy or bury myself in a gripping book. I deep cleaned my house yesterday as the boys were away. Stripped beds, cleaned skirting boards (i have no idea what that relates to in US speak), defrosted the fridge freezer (starting to smell of fish), pulled out the washing machine and cleaned under it, you get my drift.
Looking after my 6 month old,Jamie:) The little fella never wants to take long naps and is always keeping me busy!
My husband works all day and night M/W/F so it makes it a lot easier to do 4:3.
For me the day just seems to go. I work from home, so work days and weekends are really quite the same. I watch TV, read, play with my dogs and the day just seems to go. I time out my food (yogurt , apple, salad) to kinda flank the day, and by about 8pm or earlier, I try to be done eating, then just watch the clock till bedtime, and tell myself, I can do just about anything for a couple of hours.

Then its tomorrow! :)
I try to fast when I'm at home. If I go out for more than a coffee with a friend, it will be a lost game.
I usually sleep a lot (I always got to bed as late as possible before a fast day) and do housework that doesn't take much energy (dusting, laundry). I can't concentrate much so I don't do any work that needs concentration but more easy stuff such as drafts or notes (I do translations).
Hey Julieathome - I need you over at my house - LOL!

I don't find it a problem any more, so can be either at work or at home. Though I do know what folk mean when they say, concentration issues. Usually happens mid afternoon, but then, as others have said, miso soup, or something similar, and it soon passes. It's easier to work around these days than it was earlier on.
I agree that keeping busy is the key. As a Retiree I'm free to pretty much plan my days as I wish. I schedule fasting for days when I go to exercise class at noon and do a library volunteer shift later in the pm. Much easier than hanging around the house thinking about food.

Julieathome, if I understand "skirting boards" correctly, we call them "base boards". (I read so many British authors that I sometimes use the Brit phrases and word when speaking and writing because there they are, floating around in my brain just waiting to pop out.) Sometimes people here must think I'm nuts.
13 posts Page 1 of 1