The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

14 posts Page 1 of 1
well my sis who lost another 600g (bringing total weight loss to about 7kg) went out and bought herself a chinese egg custard tart. One of her favourite sweets.

What do you do when the scales give you unexpected good news?
Well, I think losing weight is a treat in itself and because I never feel deprived on 5:2, I never feel the need to 'treat' myself or reward myself in any way. This really is a way of life for me now. I don't exactly enjoy the fast days, but I accept them. And I am losing the concept of a day when I won't do this, unlike being on a 'diet' when there is a during and an after.
I pat myself on the back and say. "Keep it up woman." Food rewards are the thing of the past for me. Prob because I'm not feeling deprived. But also if I've got a new weight to celebrate I don't want to pile back on the pounds by eating too many of those naughty things. So I'm prob more cautious than before. If that makes sense. Then I come on here and celebrate that way.
Well done to sis though. :victory:
I don't think food rewards are bad if you reward yourself by buying better quality than you eat day-to-day. For example, organic fruit and veg instead of regular, or an unusual cheese instead of bog standard cheddar, or something exotic like marinated anchovies instead of canned. I don't need to have had a scale victory to do this, though.
I agree with barbarita, carieoats and sallyo. This morning I reached a new low (weight wise) and have just returned from food shopping. I am pleased to say that whilst I was tempted (briefly) to buy some chocolates or jelly beans, I thought of the scales this morning and bought instead some apples and a banana for this afternoon. The rest of my shopping consisted of a basket full of vegetables and stewing beef.

I think a treat for me now would be a piece of clothing, a new pair of trousers etc. Has anybody calculated how much money they save by eating (and for some drinking) so much less? I am sure the weekly shopping bill is down by at least £10. That is £40 per month we should go out and spend on clothes that show off our new figures. Treating ourselves with slightly tight clothes to "ease ourselves into" might be the incentive we need NOT to buy ourselves unhealthy, sugary treats.
Ieramul wrote: I agree with barbarita, carieoats and sallyo. This morning I reached a new low (weight wise) and have just returned from food shopping. I am pleased to say that whilst I was tempted (briefly) to buy some chocolates or jelly beans, I thought of the scales this morning and bought instead some apples and a banana for this afternoon. The rest of my shopping consisted of a basket full of vegetables and stewing beef.

I think a treat for me now would be a piece of clothing, a new pair of trousers etc. Has anybody calculated how much money they save by eating (and for some drinking) so much less? I am sure the weekly shopping bill is down by at least £10. That is £40 per month we should go out and spend on clothes that show off our new figures. Treating ourselves with slightly tight clothes to "ease ourselves into" might be the incentive we need NOT to buy ourselves unhealthy, sugary treats.

New clothes.. now your talking @Ieramul.
with regards your question about how much you save...1 and a half years ago i started a thread that said you can get a "brand new car" with 5-2 if 2 people in the household adopt 5-2, cause its like $30 a week saving per person. In Oz speak not sure how that equates to 10 pounds.
To this day i think the saving may even be as high as $40 a week per person. I do some really tight budgeting and ive got the food part of groceries in total to about $80 a week per person which i think is great. Do a lot of cooking and not much going out.
this is the thread .. hunted it down...with the great search tool on this forum. I remember i called it 5:2 and a brand new car

post167287.html?hilit=brand%20new%20car#p167287
I don't need to reward myself for losing weight. The weight loss itself is rewarding. It's not as though I need to compensate myself for undergoing an ordeal.

As for clothes purchases; they have been essential as old clothes swamped me, so various charities have benefitted from my losses as I've donated old clothes and bought new ones.
I reward myself by repeatedly getting my phone out to look at my new Libra trend weight!
I don't usually reward myself for weight loss although I bought myself a couple of lovely ripe mangoes yesterday, it wasn't a conscious reward but they were a treat for myself. I ate one yesterday, it was delicious, Maisie likes them too and was watching me eat it so I gave her a slice too. The other one will be for this evening or I might save it for tomorrow.
The other excitement of a new weight low is enough reward for me. Although over the last 6 months if I see a really nice top I've bought it in the next size down like @leramul suggests. They're in a bag in my cupboard. I tried them on a few days ago and guess what- they fit! Not perfectly. They'll look perfect in about 2 more kilos down and they're all size 14 or medium! Yay!!
Xxx julianna
I reward myself for weight loss goals... Like 10 kilo loss, 20 kilo loss etc

But my rewards are no longer food based... Now it's things like a massage or a pedicure or facial etc Something to make me feel pampered!
Interesting. At goal I will treat myself to a fast day finger ring to celebrate my success and remind me of my new WOL. One day I'll hand it down to DD.
Juliana.Rivers wrote:
New clothes.. now your talking @Ieramul.
with regards your question about how much you save...1 and a half years ago i started a thread that said you can get a "brand new car" with 5-2 if 2 people in the household adopt 5-2, cause its like $30 a week saving per person. In Oz speak not sure how that equates to 10 pounds.
To this day i think the saving may even be as high as $40 a week per person. I do some really tight budgeting and ive got the food part of groceries in total to about $80 a week per person which i think is great. Do a lot of cooking and not much going out.
this is the thread .. hunted it down...with the great search tool on this forum. I remember i called it 5:2 and a brand new car

post167287.html?hilit=brand%20new%20car#p167287

I love the above thread, Juliana - thank you.- and should be bumped up every now and then. I am sure the savings are more than we imagine and keeping a shopping diary Is an excellent idea. If only I had used to drink alcohol - think of the extra money I could have saved and spent on that new car. :wink: instead I will have to get myself that super mini car :lol: :smile: :wink:

Great posts here. Essentially what I can hear through all the posts is, that the new weight loss IS the reward together with improved health, a better figure and more confidence.
I never did food rewards, I think it's a bit counter-productive. Instead I did something that may be see as weird, when I fancied clothes, which is rarely, I bought them one size down, that helped me focus and was a great motivation. My reward was when my efforts were paid and I could wear it
14 posts Page 1 of 1