The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

37 posts Page 3 of 3
Re: How to stop the binge?
29 Dec 2013, 16:39
Breadandwine wrote: One thing that helps me if I think I need that other biscuit or whatever is to put the timer on for 20 minutes. If I still want it then, I'll have it - but 9 times out of 10 I don't want it anymore.

I've tried that.... trouble is that for me, by the time the 20 minutes is up, I want TWO biscuits by then!!! :confused:
29 Dec 2013, 18:07
Domane wrote:
Breadandwine wrote: One thing that helps me if I think I need that other biscuit or whatever is to put the timer on for 20 minutes. If I still want it then, I'll have it - but 9 times out of 10 I don't want it anymore.

I've tried that.... trouble is that for me, by the time the 20 minutes is up, I want TWO biscuits by then!!! :confused:

Oh dear! [sympathy!]

What about distraction - go and do a couple sets of whatever exercises you do. Maybe hula hoop or something.

About biscuits - there's only one safe way to eat just one biscuit, IME. That is to take one (that's 1 - single!) biscuit out of the packet, walk out of the house - on the way to work, or something, and, when you get a safe distance from home, then you can start nibbling your biscuit!

HTH! :grin:
29 Dec 2013, 21:21
@breadandwine - ooh, hula hoop! Haven't done that in decades! Now that I have good core strength & obliques, I might try some, might be good for my isolation in dancing!
30 Dec 2013, 00:14
Hi jools

There's been an ongoing conversation on the latest Mumsnet 5:2 thread about the virtues of hula hooping. I casually said to my wife a couple of months ago that I'd like to be able to do this - and blow me down, I got one for Christmas. I can't manage it, yet - I had one lesson with my 12-year-old granddaughter, but we're back at home now, and I'll have to see if I can't pick it up by myself.

It's a huge, weighted thing with knobs all round the inside! :bugeyes:
30 Dec 2013, 02:21
Hmmm, with my Pilates teacher hat on, I do have mixed feelings about that, @breadandwine - good way to injure your back if you're not already strong in that area. But I'd love to hear how you go! I got juggling balls for christmas. Some of the Aussies on the strong might have seen Todd Samson's "redesign my brain" on ABC - juggling comes highly recommended as a way to keep the neurones firing - I'm getting better with just one ball at the moment!
30 Dec 2013, 09:29
:heart: I know it looks like I'm a latecomer but did reply yesterday saying that I ended up having my first bingeing afternoon in 8 months and felt quite ill indeed yes it was triggered by something I now realise that @jools7 and throughout my 8months I've always allowed myself a small treat most nights so I don't feel deprived and this has worked or maybe I've been lucky to get away with it so far.
The temptation is far to big during the silly season and for some reason I've received more chocks/bickies this xmas than ever before, so I'm definitely stopping that one
it wasn't done as sabotage as the people knew I was having treats.
For certain reasons I've always got crap in the house and that won't change at all ever!!!! and my post xmas weigh-in was a gain of 1kg I can live with that but for the last few years I've actually gained most weight in January indulging in the cake +chocks + nuts + nibbles + whatever else iI can see around.
That said I'm NOW going with caution because I love doing this WOL and the obvious results and health benefits I've been receiving in recent months so know giving up or postponing fastdays just a couple of weeks of difficult ones :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
31 Dec 2013, 01:19
Hmmm, with my Pilates teacher hat on, I do have mixed feelings about that, @breadandwine - good way to injure your back if you're not already strong in that area.

My back's pretty good, thanks! I can do the plank for 90 seconds, and my daily workout includes 60 press-ups and 60 kneel-ups.

I'll let you know how I get on with the hoop - I'm looking to improve my hip action on the dance floor. :smile:
37 posts Page 3 of 3