The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Fasted yesterday and after dinner felt fine all evening and hardly thought about eating anything else, but when I went to bed my tummy started rumbling so I fully expected to wake up starving this morning, but if don't feel hungry at all.

Is it possible my body might have got used to this already or will it hit me soon?

I am not in work on Fridays so am bound to not be able to restrict my carbs as much as I could do so thinking Thursdays not such a great second fast day?

I did sneakily weigh myself last night and I've lost 1lb which is probably water but at least it's going in the right direction!
:heart: Hi @Lu Lu I always get up the mornings after my 3 fasts not hungry so I make these 16:8 days to "save" few more calories. Well done :heart:
Speaking about my own experience I'm never hungry the morning after a fast day. And if I've done a good fast my tummy rumbles when I go to bed. I go to sleep on my side this tends to reduce the rumbles, havent got a clue why, but it works for me.
That's why many of us drop into 16.8 so easily as we don't feel the need to eat so early anymore. Just be carefull about what you have as our tummys can be a bit sensitive when we break that fast. Something light and not too rich.
Well done and good luck with your continued success. :like:
I'm quite new it this, not even a 2 week veteran as yet. I have done 4 fast to date and dont seem to be hungry when I wake.

The 16:8 you are referring to. Are you just eating in a 8 hour period in 24 hours? Can you delay the start as long as you want through the day?
I'm just the same LuLu, I never feel hungry the day after a fast. It's great isn't it!

Bean :bugeyes:
I am worried that I am finding this too easy then getting cross with myself for not starting earlier.
gb1 wrote: I'm quite new it this, not even a 2 week veteran as yet. I have done 4 fast to date and dont seem to be hungry when I wake.

The 16:8 you are referring to. Are you just eating in a 8 hour period in 24 hours? Can you delay the start as long as you want through the day?

That is about it. For most, it really means skipping breakfast. There is no calorie restriction involved with 16:8 - you can eat as much of anything you want in the 8 hour period and still be following 16:8 to a tee.

20:4, if you run into it, is basically skipping breakfast and lunch.

23.5:.5 is probably a weight loss diet.
If you're not hungry, don't eat! Easy peasy! Nothing to worry about though, your appetite should return by lunch time :-)
Lu Lu wrote: Fasted yesterday and after dinner felt fine all evening and hardly thought about eating anything else, but when I went to bed my tummy started rumbling so I fully expected to wake up starving this morning, but if don't feel hungry at all.

Is it possible my body might have got used to this already or will it hit me soon?

That's *exactly* what one would hope for @Lu Lu! When you go to bed you run down your energy stores and, hopefully, slip into fat-burning mode (ketosis) whilst you are asleep - so when you wake up you *shouldn't* feel hungry (your body will be dining on your fat)! If this doesn't happen, it's usually because your last feed was late at night and / or you've had a high carb intake just before bed-time: hence the suggestion that one shouldn't eat late in the evening (there's other reasons for this too, listed somewhere on the forum).

As others have suggested - make hay whilst the sun shines and, if you don't feel like eating, stay off the food until your evening meal.

And bravo for and excellent choice in your WoE - all the best, FatDog
Hmmm, this is very interesting.
I am ravenous when I waken up after a fast. It's been that way since I started.
I am a very very (think glacier) slow loser.
Since I started, for my meal (one a day on fasts ) I have 2 poached eggs and 2 slices of homemade bread toasted. Usually eat about 7pm so easily a 24hour fast.
I fast 3 times a week.
I am now wondering if I don't go into ketosis overnight and if that has some bearing on the slow loss.
How do I know if I'm in ketosis? I seem to remember from nurse training that it shows in urine. Not going down that route thank you :) and somethign about breathe smell.
Hmmmm again
I would miss my toast...
Am I in ketosis?
18 Jan 2014, 15:10
janeg wrote: Hmmm, this is very interesting.
I am ravenous when I waken up after a fast. It's been that way since I started.
I am a very very (think glacier) slow loser.
Since I started, for my meal (one a day on fasts ) I have 2 poached eggs and 2 slices of homemade bread toasted. Usually eat about 7pm so easily a 24hour fast.
I fast 3 times a week.
I am now wondering if I don't go into ketosis overnight and if that has some bearing on the slow loss.
How do I know if I'm in ketosis? I seem to remember from nurse training that it shows in urine. Not going down that route thank you :) and somethign about breathe smell.
Hmmmm again
I would miss my toast...

The classic answer to "am I in ketosis" is the question "do I feel hungry?": if the answer is a resounding "no", you're probably in ketosis (or you've just eaten!).

The other test is to use "ketostix", a fiver for fifty - they're not 100% reliable, nor does the presence of ketones in urine *necessarily* indicate that you're in ketosis (or absence indicate that you're not), but if they consistently show ketones, you probably are.

Others swear by odd smelling breath (acetone scented) and likewise pee. I can't say that I've had either and I'm in ketosis most of the time (erhum, except over the festive season).

You could try an experiment @janeg? Knock out the toast and substitute in some yummy cheese for a week or two of fasts, and see if there's any difference...

Some folk reckon to need carbs before bedtime or they don't sleep - if you're one of them, try and keep the carb level as *low as possible*, say less than 10 grams (a standard slice of bread is about 13g, so your two slices is 26g - or thereabouts - which is over my repair day allowance of 19g in a oner!).

If you really can't do without bread, you could give my oat bran / linseed / soya bread a shot: takes minutes in the microwave and two thin slices (~64g) will cost you approx 200 calories and 8g carb (progress-f4/topic6427-465.html#p129271 - double the quantity to get a real loaf shaped loaf in a 14x10cm tupperware pot).
@fatdogThanks for that, it is as I suspected then...
I will keep things as they are as I am playing with HIIT at the moment and like to introduce changes one at a time to try and evaluate the effect of a variable.
End of January is the weigh in and the time to look at the plan. Cheesy scrambled egg with Fatdog crackers or bread may be the next step
12 posts Page 1 of 1