The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

20 posts Page 1 of 2
In Ketosis Today...
06 Aug 2013, 00:50
For well over a year, I was an avid Atkins dieter. There is a state the body goes into called Ketosis and you cannot mistake it: your breath smells BAD, almost taste like you're eating pennies, and I hate to say it folks, but your urine smells bad as well. You stop feeling hungry and feel full even without eating a lot. When you're in this "state," your body is burning fat like crazy. Well, today was my 3rd fast day and I DEFINITELY am in ketosis! I know this feeling, it is unmistakeable, especially the taste in your mouth. Have any of you experienced this and if you have, trust me, it is a GOOD thing!!! :like:
Re: In Ketosis Today...
06 Aug 2013, 00:58
Good to know this! My breath stinks and my tongue is coated with thick slime. I feel self conscious talking to people.
06 Aug 2013, 00:59
ummm...I don't know if we can say it is a 'good thing'. Getting yourself into a state of ketoacidosis is actually a medical event and not recommended for many people. Its effects are quite controversial and is a treatment for epilepsy. At a minimum people should read about this condition before deciding to join you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis
06 Aug 2013, 01:20
Thanks, Izzy! I'm learning so much here.
06 Aug 2013, 04:11
Yeah if you are in ketosis, then I bet you are minimizing the carbs a bit as well on your feed days, because it takes a bit of time to eliminate the carbs in your system, which would not normally happen on a fast day after a normal carb feed day. I shoot for Ketosis every day, and definitely hit it on fast days, but its because I watch my carbs on feed days too. I am not too strict but on feed days I focus on low glycemic carbs such as apples, and whole grains if I am eating carbs.

The 5:2 fast pairs very well with low carbing on feed days - As long as you are eating enough calories on the feed days.
06 Aug 2013, 06:10
Yes, I hit (taste) ketosis every fast day. It lasts long into the next day...at least dinner because I tend to only eat carbs at dinner on non-fast days. Sometimes, a meat, green veggie, potato/rice/pasta dinner the day after a fast isn't even enough to knock me out of ketosis. Those are the really good days and I tend to see a new low number on the scale the next morning.
06 Aug 2013, 06:53
When you say you go into ketosis - can you explain I thought it took 2 or 3 days of full fasts (or fasts with no carbs) to get into ketosis and then you only stayed in ketosis if you didn't eat or didn't eat carbs/sugar?

This is what i was told by a lady that ran the cambridge diet? Is this not true?
06 Aug 2013, 06:59
Well, it isn't so much whether it is true or not, but is it true for you. I have been watching carbs for 18 months, I don't eat many carbs on fast days, meats, green veggies, eggs, cheese, a few nuts. But, I do 4:3 and also moderate carbs every week day. The main time I go out of ketosis is Saturday evening to Monday morning. For me it often takes more than one small potato to kick me out during the week; but that can be different for different people.
06 Aug 2013, 07:49
Hi izzy, too complicated for me! I just want to know whether my fast is working, that's all.
06 Aug 2013, 10:12
izzy wrote: Ketosis is different from ketoacidosis, although apparently often confused.

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/ ... dosis.html

Yep! Ketosis IS good! :) Ketoacidosis is something completely different and you're right, it is dangerous. But ketosis is a positive thing :)
06 Aug 2013, 10:35
Hi Michelle!

good to see you are doing well, thanks for that bit of info, going to pay more attention lol!

good luck with the fasts!

Angie
06 Aug 2013, 10:49
@meeshee1 can you please just clarify something from your original post for me - you say you're on your third fast day - is that 3 days consecutively? Or just your third fast of the week?
06 Aug 2013, 12:14
Moogie wrote: @meeshee1 can you please just clarify something from your original post for me - you say you're on your third fast day - is that 3 days consecutively? Or just your third fast of the week?

Oh sorry! No, my third day overall.. I did 2 days last week, Monday and Thursday, and then yesterday (Monday) was my 3rd day total. Thanks, it is important that I clarify that! I think this was why I was a little surprised that I went into ketosis like that since I had "feed" days all weekend but then Monday when I went into fast mode, the ketosis really kicked in. It did not do that the first 2 fast days the week prior.
06 Aug 2013, 12:28
Thanks for clarifying, just wanted to make sure you weren't doing some kind of extreme fasting! Sounds like you're doing really well :)
06 Aug 2013, 12:31
"Hey, wanna do this thing where you smell bad, your breath stinks like nail polish remover, your mouth is slimy, your urine reeks and your sense of taste changes so it seems like you're eating coins?"

"Oh yeah, that sounds fab, I'm totally in!"

:neutral:
20 posts Page 1 of 2