The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

27 posts Page 1 of 2
Dont scream at me. Not proposing extended fastings or anything

just wondering how everyone seems to accept the extra day on 5:2 to go 4:3 as pretty feasible, if not even "recommended" as a way to speed up weight loss or for whatever reason.

But, if one needs to "accelerate things" (moi) for say a month, is it really wrong to consider 3:4.

In other words i pick 4 not 3 days for usual 1/4 TDEE fasting.

Im not into the 16:8 thing which people seem to be using as a "dieting" supplement to 5:2 or 4:3.

In thinking full on picking yet one more day. Dont worry i wouldnt consider 2:5 as an option.

dont blast me its just a question.

i ask as i have an exta 1.1kg to lose in 5 weeks time and I feel i need to make a "change"

I plan to return to standard 4:3 come January 2014
You'll end up with two days in a row every week that way. Have you tried that before? I didn't find it too difficult but I felt awful afterward... Maybe try every other day instead?
Well, first I haven't ever tried 3:4; only ADF which is basically 4:3 one week and 3:4 the next. (Every other day.) It worked for a while but I got pretty burned out on it. The thing I disliked the most about it was not having set fast days each week. If you do try it; I would suggest picking the days say Mon Tues Thurs Fri or whatever you choose and leaving them the same each week. The every other day thing made holidays, weekends, parties and socializing a scheduling nightmare for me. Also, maybe just try it for a temporary time to see how it goes.
Perhaps it would be better just to do ADF for a couple of weeks?
I'm with MaryAnn about back-to-back fasting, it sounds REALLY hard plus I think it must have some effect on your metabolism.
Also you still have 5 weeks to go to lose your 1.1kg so doing 4:3 will surely allow 250g weight loss per week?
Good luck with your goal Juliana xxx
MaryAnn wrote: You'll end up with two days in a row every week that way. Have you tried that before? I didn't find it too difficult but I felt awful afterward... Maybe try every other day instead?

I know what you mean. I think i could handle a set of 2 days in a row just for 4 weeks.

I have this thing that i need to associate fasting with a "day of week"

so id go
SUNDAY, TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY, FRIDAY for fasting

as opposed to my current

SUNDAY, TUESDAY FRIDAY

My friend in the street apparently fasted for 4 months (1 meal every day).. she is Hindu. i guess thats extended 16:8
spanner wrote: Perhaps it would be better just to do ADF for a couple of weeks?
I'm with MaryAnn about back-to-back fasting, it sounds REALLY hard plus I think it must have some effect on your metabolism.
Also you still have 5 weeks to go to lose your 1.1kg so doing 4:3 will surely allow 250g weight loss per week?
Good luck with your goal Juliana xxx

im going slower than 250g a week and the progress tracker trend line confirms it. i possibly need to get into a smoothed curve line program but havent had a chance to do that. maybe it will say it will be earlier than Feb 2014 to get to 69.999 for my "trend" weight hence my consideration of something different for just a short time.

I guess too I meant to say in first post that Im checking with people here if there is any health issues I should be aware of. i.e. if i do 3:4 for 4 weeks, I wont be malnourished or anyting, given that im having my normal TDEE on 3 days a week.
I did ADF for a week when I got back from holidays. I don't know how much I lost because I don't know how much I gained, but I ate masses and masses, so I know it worked. I also did it once before, but it does feel like you are dieting all the time, so I would only do it for a short period of time. I'm on 4:3 since I finished ADF (Sun, Tues, Thurs). Today though I'm thinking of either a zero calorie fast (aka Eat Stop Eat), or a bulletproof coffee fast, which is more likely because I'm training today and I need the energy. This means bulletproof coffee only today and then tomorrow morning I will probably have another one and not eat until lunchtime.

If this all sounds tough, its because I'm trying to break a plateau. :curse:
I nearly did back to back fasts yesterday (Tues & Wed), as I had a day off planned.

I found my mood changed knowing it was another reduced day, plus I didn't feel too good by the afternoon.

In the end, I went back to normal and treated it as a feast day and back to fast today as normal. I don't struggle with fasts but found not having the normal day in between changed things and found I was beating myself up if I didn't do the back to back.

As long as it doesn't effect your mood, fits in, and extra fasting days don't take over and you end up thinking like you are on a diet, I guess you could give it a go, but wouldn't recommend back to back :like:
Minigill wrote: I nearly did back to back fasts yesterday (Tues & Wed), as I had a day off planned.

I found my mood changed knowing it was another reduced day, plus I didn't feel too good by the afternoon.

In the end, I went back to normal and treated it as a feast day and back to fast today as normal. I don't struggle with fasts but found not having the normal day in between changed things and found I was beating myself up if I didn't do the back to back.

As long as it doesn't effect your mood, fits in, and extra fasting days don't take over and you end up thinking like you are on a diet, I guess you could give it a go, but wouldn't recommend back to back :like:

thanks. i will bear it in mind. i havent decided it for sure. wondering what people think about it. which is why i love this community.

hey, Minigill, i realise you have the exact same weight to lose as me for the Christmas club goal and the same target.
Juliana.Rivers wrote:
Minigill wrote: I nearly did back to back fasts yesterday (Tues & Wed), as I had a day off planned.

thanks. i will bear it in mind. i havent decided it for sure. wondering what people think about it. which is why i love this community.

hey, Minigill, i realise you have the exact same weight to lose as me for the Christmas club goal and the same target.

Now the challenge is on :wink:
Minigill wrote:
Juliana.Rivers wrote:

Now the challenge is on :wink:

ILl race you to the finish line. but ive only seen under 70.5 about once so you may just well beat me to it. if i reach under 70 just once even if my trend line says 70.5 or something ill be a happy woman.
I have never done more than two fasts a week and I just cut back accordingly on feast days if I feel I have consumed too much or overeaten any one food item. Eg looking back over the past week I had toasted teacakes on Friday and Saturday, Apple Crumble on Monday and Tuesday so I shall not have any food containing flour until at least next Monday. So, my suggestion is that as you are already doing 4:3 not to add another fast day each week, but hold back a bit on feast days.
Personally I think you need to be careful that you don't let it all get too much, this is still a long term way of eating and I'd worry about people who were fasting more than 50% of the week. Perhaps ADF is a better option for you? :)
My standard fasting schedule is fasting every third day. It does mean that it falls on different days each week. But i'm not rigid. If I feel I can't do one that soon or social scheduling means it needs shifting I do it.

When I had my carb blow out last month and put on 6lb, I changed to liquid fasts for the foreseeable future and I did try a back to back fast twice. Both back to backs worked reasonably well except that on the second day I had to eat more than the 500kcal for my dinner. I probably ate closer to 800kcal. It is working to get me back on track. As a plateau breaker it seems to have worked.
:heart: As you may remember I'm doing 4:3 have done all along and I've done 2 fasts back2back with no problems whatsoever, so why not do the 4:3 the an occasional 16:8 thrown in for good measure I'm sure that would be more sustainable for you. :clover: Good. Luck :clover: Sue. :clover:
27 posts Page 1 of 2