The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

43 posts Page 1 of 3
Is tea dinner?
11 Oct 2013, 21:17
Just a silly question, when you guys say: "for tea I will have salmon", does that mean that you squeeze the fish and drink it in a cup, or does it mean that you drink tea with a side of salmon? or none of the above?
Re: Is tea dinner?
11 Oct 2013, 21:20
In the north of England 'tea' is what you guys would call 'dinner', ie the evening meal!
11 Oct 2013, 21:30
Ha! Salmon tea :curse:

Yes, some Australians use 'tea' for'dinner' but that's usually related to socio-economics rather than geography.
11 Oct 2013, 21:36
Not to be confused with 'afternoon tea' of course, that's a completely different matter! :grin:
11 Oct 2013, 22:05
It can be both for me. Tea, dinner, Dinner, tea.

I dont think it matters either way. For me they're the same.
11 Oct 2013, 22:16
Tea=dinner :)
11 Oct 2013, 22:20
I thought high tea was at 4pm with sandwiches, etc.

I call dinner tea but we eat at 5 pm and it's our main meal. I'm not Northern...
11 Oct 2013, 22:38
I call it dinner and lucky to get it on the table by 7pm in winter or 8pm in summer. Kids have complained for decades of the delay :-(
11 Oct 2013, 22:47
We have dinner at tea time!
11 Oct 2013, 22:54
And don't forget dinner can also mean lunch!
11 Oct 2013, 23:18
I was in my thirties before I got the hang of lunch, tea and dinner and their proper place in the timetable. I'm from North Wales, so its not just a northern thing. I was also in Australia as a child for 4 years, so that may be where the confusion came from
11 Oct 2013, 23:26
And some people call dinner supper! And supper can be a snack at bedtime as well.
12 Oct 2013, 01:21
I grew up with breakfast, lunch and dinner. Dinner served at about 5-6pm. I grew up in the Los Angeles area of Califoria. My family were raised in South Dakota and Wyoming, where they had breakfast, dinner and supper. Breakfast served between 5 and 7 am depending on the time of year and what needed to be done, dinner served between 11am and 2pm, again depending on what needed to be done with the cattle/fields and supper a lighter meal served aboout 5 or 6 depending on whether there was a high school football or basketball or baseball game going on. They were and still are very much into "community support". In the area where I grew up on southern california, it's breakfast when you get up and lunch around noon and dinner between 5 and 6. We mostly had holiday dinner at 2pm with a supper of hot cocoa and bread and butter before bed, best part of a Holiday! :)
12 Oct 2013, 03:15
If I understood right, your "tea" is dinner, but do you actually have tea(like drink) after it? Does it called "tea" for a reason?
12 Oct 2013, 04:34
Here in Scotland, I have been brought up to refer to the evening meal as tea, and to lunch as dinner. A supper can also have different meanings because here, that is also the term for something bought from a chip shop along with chips (fish and chips for example, is referred to as a fish supper when you buy it from the local chippy).
43 posts Page 1 of 3