The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Is this normal for fast days?!
10 Feb 2014, 20:27
Have noticed that last time I fasted (Thursday) and today, I keep getting random bouts of intense shivering, I've got 3 layers and the heating on atm so I'm not cold, lol,

Is this a normal thing on fast days and will it pass, as it's getting irritating now?! lol
Hiya x i often feel cold on fast days and have heard others say the same,but intense shivering? Not so sure...could you be coming down with a bug?
Hope someone comes along soon and give you more advice..in the meantime, make hot drinks and have a hot meal when its your meal time x
I hope i'm not coming down with something, just got over a cold! lol, I shall have a hot lemon and go to bed i think, and fingers crossed i feel better in the morning!
:heart: Hi @DragonsHeart I've been doing this WOL for 9 months and it would seen cold is a side effect but it was snowing here this time last year and only since xmas have I noticed it and its quite bad almost painful
on my hands and feet. :heart:
Hi @DragonsHeart

I am cold every fast day, it's 30 degrees in Melbourne today and I have goose bumps and am wrapped in my pashmina, tights and boots on.

I think it's a side effect but the shivering is a bit more intense than what I experience...
I had this quite a bit last year while fasting -- and my thyroid levels were too low.

I'm inclined to think that since cold intolerance is a side effect of low thyroid levels, that this is why I had so much trouble.

FWIW my thyroid levels have been normal since December. Despite the "polar vortex" and days where the temperature didn't go above 0 Farenheit, I haven't been as cold this year as I was last year. I think we only had two days where it went above freezing at all in the past month!
I had never felt cold in my life before fasting. I claimed it was all the blubber that kept me warm. But now, starting about mid afternoon I just get colder and colder. I complain that the heating is broken that hubby has turned it down all sorts. We have a well heated house because my husband is disabled and needs to be kept warm, but when everyone else is in t'shirts and bare feet, I'm in thick thermal socks, jeans, t'shirt, fleece or jumper and a blanket draped over my shoulders and yet my hands especially won't get warm.

I too think its got something to do with the thyroid. Mine has always been on the high side, just not high enough to be in line for treatment. But now I think the fasting has knocked it into normal regions, so I feel the cold when I haven't before.

Its a small price to pay for losing so much weight though.
Thanks you for the replies all, i do have a low thyroid but am taking medication to sort that and doc said that i don't need to faff with it for IFing, I think i'll let my body get used to it for a few more weeks and if there's no change then i'll go back to the doctor!
I don't usually have bouts of shivering, but I get cold hands have have trouble keeping warm on fast days. My husband who is thin and has a very fast metabolism often gets cold hands when he is low on fuel - I think it's pretty normal.
Being cold on fast days is really common. Yesterday was a fast day for me and I had two sweatshirts on over my shirt/tank tops, and I was still cold :curse: It's the only downside I've experienced with IF and it's definitely worth a bit of cold discomfort, for the results I've gotten doing IF :geek:
DragonsHeart wrote: Thanks you for the replies all, i do have a low thyroid but am taking medication to sort that and doc said that i don't need to faff with it for IFing, I think i'll let my body get used to it for a few more weeks and if there's no change then i'll go back to the doctor!

I think that that is very sensible. I hope you're feeling better today.
Yes getting cold is a side effect of fasting for me too. My hands get very cold. I do suffer from Raynaulds syndrome which causes my fingers to "die" lose blood supply and go numb. Not very nice but I just shove them under my arm pits, or if I'm driving I put the heated seats on and sit on them (one at a time of course)
12 posts Page 1 of 1