The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

14 posts Page 1 of 1
Liquid fast?
02 Oct 2013, 20:07
What is a liquid fast? I've drunk black coffee and water, but no cals.
I have found myself at 9pm and haven't yet eaten. I am wondering whether it's actually worth it, or should I hang on til tomorrow?
Kx
Re: Liquid fast?
02 Oct 2013, 20:35
Hi Karen. That's a bit hardcore if you have never done it before. Many eat soup, or tea with milk, juice, etc. I drink coffee blended with butter and coconut oil. Check the liquid fasting thread as folks do sometimes say what they are drinking. Sorry I'm on iPad and find it hard to post the link in.
02 Oct 2013, 21:01
It doesn't seem to make much sense to call it "liquid fast" if you get any calories from the liquid, why would it make a difference if the calories are in solid or liquid form?

I guess most people actually mean zero calories, or am I missing something?

I used to do it twice a week, for 30-40 hours, but now only once, since I have to eat something before my Thursday tango class, it's too hard with such extreme focus for 90 minutes otherwise.

I don't think it's very hard core, and don't really know why people have such difficulties with it. You just forget about food for a day, it's easier.
02 Oct 2013, 21:22
My liquid fasting is with herbal tea, tap water and sparkling water, so yes virtually zero calories.

I am aware that some people need milk in there tea or coffee, some have boullion drinks or low cal soups or low cal hot chocolates. The point of this is to avoid the chewing action of food which turns on the hunger switch. I still think that those that have calories in their liquid are still well below 500/600 cals.

I don't think its hard core either but that is because I've been doing it since April and I find it easier than eating on a fast day.
02 Oct 2013, 21:27
Really, does the chewing turn on the hunger switch? Perhaps I should experiment with some chewing gum, see what happens. But I guess the artificial sweeteners would mess it up.
02 Oct 2013, 21:29
Michael H wrote: It doesn't seem to make much sense to call it "liquid fast" if you get any calories from the liquid, why would it make a difference if the calories are in solid or liquid form?

I guess most people actually mean zero calories, or am I missing something?

I used to do it twice a week, for 30-40 hours, but now only once, since I have to eat something before my Thursday tango class, it's too hard with such extreme focus for 90 minutes otherwise.

I don't think it's very hard core, and don't really know why people have such difficulties with it. You just forget about food for a day, it's easier.

I've had an odd couple of weeks since starting 5:2 - a funeral and surgery in my first week, and my marriage breaking up this week. My eating is all over the place.
I only had about 600cals yesterday and am not particularly hungry today., so haven't eaten. It doesn't feel hardcore, it feels fine, but didn't know whether I should actually eat something! I probably won't eat breakfast in the morning as I won't be hungry in the morning!

I am going to a party on Friday, so won't eat during the day and won't be drinking alcohol anyway.

Is this really bad?
02 Oct 2013, 21:36
Oh Karen, you've got a lot on your plate at the moment. Try and look after yourself by eating well/healthily on 'normal' days. I know myself when I've been through emotional trauma I don't tend to eat much but it doesn't help the way I feel. It is so hard but try and be good to your body and eat some good food 5 days a week. Take care.
02 Oct 2013, 21:41
wildmissus wrote: Oh Karen, you've got a lot on your plate at the moment. Try and look after yourself by eating well/healthily on 'normal' days. I know myself when I've been through emotional trauma I don't tend to eat much but it doesn't help the way I feel. It is so hard but try and be good to your body and eat some good food 5 days a week. Take care.

This not eating is a totally concept for me when upset. Usually I comfort eat! :confused:
I need a kick up the bum to eat more on normal days! I might try writing down what I eat in my blog, so I can make sure I am eating enough! x
02 Oct 2013, 21:54
Since starting 5:2 and buying the Hairy Dieters books I've come to realise that a nutritious meal doesn't have to be calorie laden. So here is a kick up the bum - make the effort to eat better on normal days. You don't need to eat a lot - lunch, soup with cheese and crackers, dinner, meat/chicken/fish with lots of veg. There is probably not a lot of calories in that lot but I think it will keep you going until you feel a bit better. Hope that helps :wink: .
02 Oct 2013, 21:58
I'm not qualified to give advice really, but I don't think you should have to worry about eating or not eating, with all the difficult things you're going through. There's plenty of time to work with how much you should eat or not eat when things settle down. It's just food, not real life.
03 Oct 2013, 19:03
Tango classes? Mmmm................someone has hidden talents :wink:

Ballerina x :heart:
03 Oct 2013, 20:23
Michael, I don't know if it is the chewing or the food that makes me hungry, but I suspect the food. When I liquid fast, it's pretty much zero calories - water, green tea, rooibos. (Occasionally I'll have regular tea with milk.) I'm pretty sure that if I had soup or a smoothie, I would get the same hunger that I get if I have any other food.

(There has been at least 1 study, linked to somewhere on this forum, which suggested that having the same food blended kept people full for longer than eating it as regular solid food, which seems a bit odd.)
03 Oct 2013, 20:39
I think if I could find a bottle of wine that was less than 500 calories - and I liked it (very important) - then I'd consider doing a liquid fast, but other than that I think I'd be setting myself up to fail if I deliberately (ie. wasn't poorly) chose to spend a day completely without food. Currently, for me, liquid fasting is hard core - I'd have to at least lick a lump of cheese.
03 Oct 2013, 20:44
I had a liquid, calorie free day yesterday, and didn't break my fast til 12pm today for my lunch! I did have a bad night's sleep, but to be fair, I don't the the lack of food is 100% to blame.
I am at an engagement party tomorrow and I know there's a hog roast, so will probably not eat until then!
Just the important job of finding something spectacular to wear! :wink:
14 posts Page 1 of 1