The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Liquid fasting?
07 Nov 2013, 08:33
Hi,
Sorry if this question has been posed before - but how do people find liquid fasting for weight loss? Does it make much difference? I ask because yesterday was a fast day that turned into a liquid only fast day (because I didn't get home from work till 9 and couldn't be bothered to eat). It seemed quite easy to do so I was thinking of making my 2 fast days liquid only ones. Have people found it speeds their loss up at all or what?

Cheers for any thoughts

liz :smile:
Re: Liquid fasting?
07 Nov 2013, 08:42
I do it but still have some calories and find I don't switch on the hunger switch, I can easily come in under my fasting TDEE which is 400cals. Used to have headaches but as long as I tend to sodium, caffeine and have enough water it is not too difficult. It is the only way I can keep the weight shifting off me slowly. Others do really well on it just check out the fasting thread peeps
07 Nov 2013, 09:05
Hi liz,
I do liquid fasts - just tea, fruit/herbal teas and water, plus a mug of beef Oxo in the evening. I'm not sure if it has sped up my weight loss though.

Only started it because I'm lazy and couldn't be bothered making food one evening, then I realised I wasn't hungry anyway, so why bother eating!
07 Nov 2013, 09:15
Hi Liz, I think liquid fasting probably does make a difference when you get close to your goal. I had good weight loss early on with doing 500-calorie fasts but changed one of my fast days to (no-calorie) liquid only because I liked the idea of a 'total rest day' for my body. It didn't seem to make any noticeable difference to my weight loss. Now that I am 2 kg away from my final goal weight and my TDEE is under 1500, I seem to be losing at a much slower rate and I believe having one 0-calorie fast day really helps to keep the weight dropping.
07 Nov 2013, 09:55
Thanks for that - I'm going to give it a go just to see if it shakes things up a bit :-) Last night I just wasn't hungry so I thought 'why eat?'
07 Nov 2013, 11:15
I didn't start this primarily for losing weight, more for health in general, but it seems my zero calorie fasts have speeded up the weight loss, or rather the fat loss. It should, if the body has nothing but fat available for energy you force it to burn some.

I have no problem with my non eating days, in the beginning I found it important to keep very busy, it kept my mind away from food and obsess too much about how I felt in general.

I sometimes miss breakfast and might feel slightly deprived until noon, but by afternoon there's no problem, by evening I enjoy looking forward to the next morning. I've had some carbs this week, so I expect today's fast to be a little harder than usual.
07 Nov 2013, 11:44
Hi loversghost - I'm sure it's speeding things up for me (but it's still very very slow really) - but I do it mainly because I actually find it easier - anything's better than flicking on that pesky hunger switch.... cos then goodness knows what happens to me, but a whole fasting day can be wrecked in a couple of hours before bedtime :oops: So, for me, liquid fasting is better/easier. And as you say, why eat if you're not hungry! Good luck :clover:
7 posts Page 1 of 1