The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Middle age spread
02 Sep 2013, 12:59
Does it really exist? Or is it merely a sign that we have let ourselves go a bit or had a few too many calories along the way? What is the medical evidence for the inevitability of being fatter/larger/heavier as we age?
Re: Middle age spread
02 Sep 2013, 13:12
I think once you hit menopause the distribution of fat changes so you may need a different fitting even if you don't put on weight. Even my really tiny friend who's maybe a size 6 says that some of her clothes don't fit although she hasn't put on weight. And of course, the bingo wings take up room in sleeves, curse them!
02 Sep 2013, 13:37
Fact is as we age we lose muscle so things are bound to droop. Also muscle consumes calories so if you have less muscle and you still consume same amount of food logically it will get stored as fat. Slowly but surely the weight creeps up.
02 Sep 2013, 13:43
All the TDEE calculators take into account your age so I'm assuming it's a well-established fact that metabolism drops with age. Mine certainly seemed to, in fairly large jumps, at about 40 and 45.
02 Sep 2013, 14:08
My weight is back to my 'young woman' weight but my shape has changed in some ways. I'm still an apple shape, that will never change but my waist and stomach are considerably bigger that they used to be whilst my thighs and bum are MUCH smaller than they used to be so as far as I'm concerned, yes, middle age spread is one horrible reality :shock:

Ballerina x :heart:
5 posts Page 1 of 1