The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Moving goalposts
24 Oct 2015, 11:19
I've been on this forum for quite some time, when I joined I was close to 100kg and pretty much completely inactive.
I set some goals, I wanted to get to 85kg, I wanted a sub 25 bmi and I wanted to improve my fitness.
As of this morning my weight is 85.5kg, my bmi is 24.9 and I ran my 40th parkrun, I am chuffed, but not satisfied.
Is that normal?? How many of you moved your goalposts? And to what?
I'm really not sure what my new goals could be, any ideas?

I am also really grateful to this forum and specifically a few members who I find very inspirational and wise, thanks.
Along with fasting I have cut out sugar as far as possible and try and limit my carb intake but this way of eating is a fundamental.
Re: Moving goalposts
24 Oct 2015, 11:48
That's a fabulous achievement @brian1 congratulations!
Goalposts are funny things. I had a goal in mind which, although absolutely realistic, I just haven't reached. I think about re-evaluating but never quite get there. I don't think there is anything wrong with moving the goalposts as long as the new goal is realistic and achievable.
:clover:
24 Oct 2015, 12:25
:star: :star: :star: Congratulation, @brian1, on a wonderful weight loss and your increased exercise! :star: :star: :star:
Only you can tell whether you need to lose more weight because we have no idea of your height and how your weight is distributed around your body. (A picture might help!) I think that there is something to be said for spending some time at your target weight so that you can be sure that you've 'nailed' maintaining before heading on down to a lower target.
There is nothing wrong in rethinking a target weight, after all they are usually just an arbitrary number, and I'm sure that you are sensible enough not to try and get too low but, whatever you decide, I wish you success! :victory:
24 Oct 2015, 13:20
Hey many congratulations to you Brian on reaching your goals, well done you. Great stuff, I'm delighted for you :like:
I agree with StowgateResident perhaps have a go at nailing down the art of maintaining for a while, the ultimate goal, that may give you a good idea if there are future goals to achieve around weight loss. When I reached goal I knew I had hit the healthy weight for me, I had no desire to lose more so the goal posts were moved to maintaining for one year and once I hit that (end of 2015) then to reaffirm my goal each year going forward. Hope that helps. Is there any other type of exercise you'd like to add to your bow.
24 Oct 2015, 13:52
Well done @brian1
I would guess that just under a BMI of 25 there would still be some room for improvement. How much? Difficult to tell. I would suggest to just keep up the good work for some more time and you will see where your weight/waist stabilises. In case you keep on losing weight, just stop at the moment you feel comfortable with how you look and more importantly: with how you feel. Be sure to stop while you still look fine. Ask people who care for you to indicate when to stop in case you are not sure. Perhaps you have some reference point from a time when you were still 'young and healthy'. And be sure to add some kilos for your current age, if that is applicable.
24 Oct 2015, 15:10
Well done, you give me hope that at sometime if I keep persevering I may get to my goal weight.
24 Oct 2015, 17:35
Thanks for the great advice and responses as usual, I think I will just hang in there and not do anything silly.
Now where did Mrs Brian put that chocolate cake? ☺
24 Oct 2015, 17:48
Hi and well done!
A new Brian to go with that new life in Oxford! :like:
I cant add any more to the good advice above..just whatever you do,dont go UP! X
24 Oct 2015, 19:56
@Brian1 put the cake down :grin: !

I know exactly what you mean about losing the weight but not being satisfied. My goal weight was (and still is 10st 10lbs or 150lbs) I got down to 11st in July 2014, I looked and felt so much better but I wasn't satisfied. I went on holiday and ever since then I have been putting on weight. I got back up to 12st 10lb :frown: but thankfully I am now picking away at that. In retrospect I should have just accepted my weight for the time being and concentrated on maintaining what I had already lost for as long as it took for me to either feel satisfied or to go on and loss a few more lbs. Losing weight, any amount, is a good thing but it doesn't solve all of life's problems. Good luck with how you chose to proceed but try not to do what I did.
25 Oct 2015, 10:47
Great to hear from you Brian, congratulations! No problem with goalposts, I kept moving my weight target to suit right down to bare minimum (19.5 ish) BMI as I wanted my hip joints to last a bit longer whilst still running and climbing.
I have a bit of latitude above my target 135 pounds but do not want to exceed 140 unless there is a very good reason, like bigger muscles!
My parkrun target is getting closer, post-op I have set goals at all the intermediate times down to sub-24 mins and managed to achieve them but 70% performance is eluding me by the tiniest margin so that is my current goal. Also still aiming to have completed 250 parkrun, currently 196 so well on the way to achieve this next year, hopefully before the other hip requires surgery!
10 posts Page 1 of 1