The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

16 posts Page 1 of 2
No colds, no flu, no illness
29 Jul 2013, 08:45
Well I don't want to jinx myself but I just realised that I haven't been sick since starting this WOE. I don't usually get the flu that often, working with animals and not humans, but this year I am taking the train to work. 3-4 hours a day on the train with farting, sneezing, snivelling people and not been sick once (but almost gassed to death some days LOL)! I was going to get a flu injection but never got around to it. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it just coincidence or has my immune system got stronger?
I was thinking the same thing, my kids bring home all kinds of illnesses and I haven't had so much as a sniffle since starting 5:2, though my husband (who usually doesn't get ill often) has caught 2 colds recently. It could be a coincidence but it's pretty unusual for everyone to be ill and for me to be fine!
I don't usually get ill anyway, maybe one or two colds a year. Thinking about it I'm not sure I've had one since starting 5:2 and my OH currently has a bad case of man-flu that usually would end up being passed on to me and I haven't caught it yet. (I suffer terribly from man-flu)
Well, I'll come back to this topic when the flu season arrives in October/November. That's when I usually have some sort of cold or flu. But, so far so good, no seasonal illnesses since January.
Oh GMH so glad you started this topic because when I have tried most diet fads what usually stopped me was always the flu. Now I am touching wood as I say no flu for me even my trip recently a flight usually renders me with flu ...nadda ... So I agree about my immune system getting stronger

Is there anything about this in our nerdy corner @PhilT, @Domonic, @Caroesse. My spelling is probably wrong and who have I forgotten ...help?
I'd noticed something similar so I started keeping tabs. I've now gone a year without even a sniffle or a sore throat. I've put this mainly down to 5:2. I'd been playing around with fasting before 5:2 and a lot of the devotees of water fasting talk about the boost that fasting gives their immune system. Their theory is that normally, up to 70% of your immune system is processing food and dealing with all of its toxins etc. By taking some time off eating, your body is supposed to get a chance to recover and sort out other types of body defences.
I'm not sure of the reason, but a year seems to me to be quite a long time without even the most minor sniffle. I've never had flu, but usually get 4 or 5 stonking head colds a year.
+1, heaps of friends spreading the lurgi about here at the moment, too. In the grips of our version of 'winter' - 2C 'colder' than London here today. ;)
Izzy wrote..............." Bugs obviously don't like me "..................well that's the bugs loss if you ask me :grin:

Ballerina x :heart:
Yeah, I should add that I have no real view on the fasters' theory on healing. I don't know enough about it. 2-5 colds a year is pretty normal (I hope!!!). I definitely suffer a bit with sinuses which maybe makes me notice them more.
I'm sick right now! :(

I don't often get colds or flu. Maybe once every 2-3 years? But I have bad allergies that if they get out of control I end up with sinus infections. That happened recently. Probably due to pollen counts here being so high. In fact I'm fasting today but not sure if I'll stick to it. Maybe TMI but all the yucky stuff draining from my sinuses is giving me a stomach ache and nausea.
I work in a school and sometimes it is hard to avoid the D&V when it strikes but I have been very healthy since starting 5:2 at the end of January barely even a headache. I was sick last weekend which is unusual for me but I recovered quite quickly. Will be interesting to see if I avoid the winter bugs this year.
O'Dell wrote: I'm sick right now! :(

I don't often get colds or flu. Maybe once every 2-3 years? But I have bad allergies that if they get out of control I end up with sinus infections. That happened recently. Probably due to pollen counts here being so high. In fact I'm fasting today but not sure if I'll stick to it. Maybe TMI but all the yucky stuff draining from my sinuses is giving me a stomach ache and nausea.

I'm fairly sure what I have right now is allergy related. I slept all day yesterday. I'm a little better today.

In general my allergies haven't been bad since I started IF.
I am the same :smile:
No illness since I started 5:2 apart from joint pains which is to be expected as I am in my 60's.
Last year I never seemed to be free from a cold or chest infection;
Lets see what this winter brings.

Its certainly an opportunity for someone to do some research
I had the norovirus on my first fasting week, but at least it got my weight loss off to a cracking start! While I haven't had a proper stinking cold so far this year I did get laryngitis. On the other hand my asthma is so much better: I can't say if that's due to 5:2, exercise, weight loss or reducing wheat intake or all of the above.
Rarely get a cold or flu. Once every 3-4 years perhaps and it tends to go within a couple of days. To be honest, other than the routine smears etc, I've not been to the doctors in 20 years. I put it down to getting a reasonable amount of exercise and eating reasonably well.
16 posts Page 1 of 2