The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

27 posts Page 1 of 2
Not knowing your clothes size
02 Sep 2013, 12:52
It's great to be smaller in size but does anyone else find it unsettling not knowing your clothes size? When I'm used to browsing at 18 I now look at 16. This size fits well for many makes and I'm wearing 16 trousers very comfortably today. But in some makes I still need an 18 despite losing nearly two stones. I'm not at all sure about tops either. It does your head in! I'm a tall person and will never be a spelk. When I was aged 20 and weighed about ten and a half stones I still needed a 16, though I guess sizing may have changed since then. I thought I was fat too, probably not. :confused:
Sizes have defo changed as I have kept 16 sized jeans from 1997 ish & they are tight whereas I can fit a 14 from Asda now.

I have no real clue what will fit either as different shape.
Clothes sizes do my head in! They vary so much from shop to shop and item to item that I seldom know what to think. At one point I was a size 8 in some shops and a 12 in others. Now I'm about a 12 on average but some (generous, I guess) 10s are a good fit and some 12s are a bit tight. It's unbelievable the amount of clothes I take into the changing room - not because I want to buy lots of things, but because I have to pick up 2-3 sizes of each to figure out what fits.

And don't even get me started on bra sizes! It's so rare I find a well fitting bra that when I do I buy several. My boobs are starting to shrink a little now and I'm dreading having to find a new bra. My size 14 jeans are all falling down too but I've yet to find a 12 which is a decent fit (still got big thighs >.<;; )

I'm almost dreading having to clear out my drawers & wardrobe when I hit my target weight. Clothes shopping can be such an ordeal!
Yes, I know what you mean. I was so used to looking at size 20 clothes, I now find it quite disconcerting having to avoid this size. But I'm also in between sizes. I've got some size 16s that now seem to be too big, but size 14 is 'snug'. But then I've bought some size 14 tops that fit well.

I guess it should be a 'nice' problem to have, but I actually find it quite stressful when clothes shopping now, so have tended to avoid it and stick with a lot of my clothes that are a bit baggy - particularly t-shirts. Trouble is I've already had to get rid of most of the clothes I have, because they were falling off me, so now I've hardly got any clothes to wear!!
I am the same, depending on where I shop and the label.Jeans are 16 with a belt to pull the waist in. Tops range from 16, 14 and 12 (can't believe I can fit a 12). Dresses are a nightmare. But being a size 22/24 two years ago I luv it.
Chris x
I too used to find clothes shopping a dreadful ordeal.

But suddenly, like Chris, I luv it. It doesn't matter that I still vary over 3 sizes - currently 10 to 14, used to be 16 to 20. Now I can actually find clothes that fit. The size 16 to 20 clothes just did up, they didn't fit, being all out of proportion in most dimensions. I think the turning point, where clothes shopping began to be fun for me, was reaching BMI of 24. There are still some things that don't fit, but we all have our variations - I bet the supermodels can never get anything long and skinny enough! Moogie, your thighs aren't big, it's your waist that is unusually slender.

I still have to take 3 of everything into the changeroom - size 10, 12 and 14. It depends on the maker, the cut and maybe the designer's star sign, who knows?!! I try not to let the labelling worry me, but I confess I am more likely to buy something that fits if it says 10 rather than 14. The manufacturers know this of course, which is why the sizing has become more generous!
You might like to try this website - for UK shops, but will help find the right size for you in most of the high street stores. Of course it still depends on the cut of the clothes - are they designed to be close fitting or loose.

http://sizes.darkgreener.com/
I have foud it is the trousers that are least forgiving and I have got rid of my old size 20s. Skirts just sit a bit lower on my hips - I have a big tummy - and I can still wear most of them although they are longer. I have taken in a lot of my tops(mostly 18s) at the armpit so they fit around the bust and are just looser around my tummy.I have bought new tops in sizes from 12 - 16 but a size 16 Next top I bought in a charity shop the other day was too tight. I agree it is confusing but also quite exciting when you try on a smaller size just in case and it fits.
kentishlass wrote: Moogie, your thighs aren't big, it's your waist that is unusually slender.

I can't believe I've never thought of it like that before! That's a much more positive slant on it, thank you :) xx

No_More_Mrs_Michelin wrote: You might like to try this website - for UK shops, but will help find the right size for you in most of the high street stores. Of course it still depends on the cut of the clothes - are they designed to be close fitting or loose.

http://sizes.darkgreener.com/

That's AMAZING! Thank you :)
Apparently I'm pretty much a perfect 12 at TopShop, Monsoon and Oasis. Know where my next shopping trip will be then! Shame Monsoon price tags are always too high, they have such lovely stuff.
Ha yes I have your problem Moogie - my waist is the first place for weight to go from, and I find that many of my trousers are loose around the waist yet snug on my 'powerful' thighs. Same with my arms - I'm quite small around my top (yeah, thanks, small boobs) but have disproportionately 'billowing' upper arms.

Supermarket clothes are generally pretty generous - I can usually get in an 8 on top and 10 on the bottoms, but find that the 'fashion' shops (Topshop, H & M etc are much less generously cut.

Clothes are all different shapes and sizes but then so are we!
Well I enjoy clothes shopping slightly more now than I have in about 25yrs I've got rid of everything now to charity so have had to buy a smaller''interim '' wardrobe of everything from sales + catalogue sales mostly but not had to return/change any tops + trousers some were a little snug then one month later they fit !!! Bras though a different story, from catalogues so they can be returned and they have been backwards + forwards but alas now I've got 2 really nice ones to make do with until I reach my goal. ( well I think I won't need to buy anymore interim bras )
But not into jeans yet at least so don't have that problem, But the sizes have changed deffo. But so has my body shape on this WOL I've never seen such changes EVER I can only put it down to the fat burning as at my 35 lbs lost I've dropped 3 sizes !! I'm not complaining far from it
Just truly amazed :smile: Sue
I'm buying second-hand at the moment whilst I go through the sizes. Can't compute that I was a size 16 for 10 years and now I can get a pair of size 10 jeans on.... they must be labelled wrong ;)

(And I LOVE that link NMMM - THANKS!!!)
I'm buying from the charity shops too at the moment, but I've used the website link for that too, as it's still mainly those brands you'll find. Only problem with the link is that it only has skirt size and not trouser size, and I do find that the waist/hip ratio is more crucial for trousers than skirts.

As for bras, yes, definitely need to buy them new, but I try and hang out for the sales and then browse and stock up. Got a lovely one in Debenhams recently that should have been £30 for only £7.
Marketing has changed the size of the sizes. Women prefer to be fat and fit in a size 8 than to be thin and fit in a size 10.
I can assure you that I can fit in size 8, 10, 12 and I have a skirt in size 6 which fits me perfectly. At the same time, I can't fit in size 8, 10 and I have 12s that are perfect.
Since I shop from pretty much the same shops, I know my sizes (although the months when I gained weight were a nightmare), I can even buy clothes without trying them on from certain brands and I fail rarely.
When you reach your goal weight, you will get used of your body and you will know your size(s) if you prefer the same shops.

Not sure what you like but I find that H&M, New Look, Dorothy Perkins and Next are pretty much the same in sizes. M&S, Monsoon and Debenhams are similar too. Top Shop is always disappointing me but I like their clothes so I don't mind buying one size up than usual.
Oh, so yes!
I'm finding it quite disorientating at the moment with the summer fashions just out.
I'm dying to buy a summer dress but have NO idea what suits my shape, let alone size.
I'm the figure type still needing room around my hips and tummy but legs have lost heaps, so all my current pants look like clown pants. :lol:
I'm fitting 16's and 14's in pants, and finding that blouses which I had to leave open with a cami now do up! I get a surprise each time it happens.
All good, and SO nice to be able to try things in the same shops as my lovely daughter. :smile:
27 posts Page 1 of 2