The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
I have been reading round the interweb about oats and rye because I am avoiding wheat. There is conflicting information as usual, so I am now more confused than ever.
So HELP! Is there anyone here who can give clear advice for a balanced diet that mainly excludes gluten please?
Many thanks :0)
Good question as I can't eat oats which is such a pity as Ijust love porridge. Keenly await replies
Azureblue wrote: I have been reading round the interweb about oats and rye because I am avoiding wheat. There is conflicting information as usual, so I am now more confused than ever.
So HELP! Is there anyone here who can give clear advice for a balanced diet that mainly excludes gluten please?
Many thanks :0)

Hi Azure. Is it that you just have wheat belly or are you allergic? There is gluten in oats and rye (even though it is a grass) but in lesser amounts. Rice is gluten free.

Paleo's don't eat grains so if you go onto sites like Marksdailyapple and paleohacks, there is loads of stuff about alternatives.

I avoid grains because I feel better without but I have had some today and mamma mia, did I feel it. Load up on veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, meat and fish, and pulses if you like them. Lots of alternate flours such as coconut, potato, gram, soy which are gluten free if you like baking and some of them are low carb too. Buckwheat is a seed and is gluten free.
You can get gluten free oats, but am aware that some coeliacd avoid them. I'm not coeliac myself but cater for several coeliac friends, regularly.
I have celiacs disease. Only wheat, rye, and barley have gluten naturally. Oats often have gluten because of crop rotation or cross contamination during harvest. So celiacs also eat GF oats as opposed to regular.

It's fairly easy to spot wheat, barley and rye flour as an ingredient. What is harder is when it is hidden in soy sauce or "natural flavorings" which can include barley malt. The best bet is to google or contact the manufacturer if you have any questions about the ingredients. Of course if you cook all your own food from scratch it is easier to stay away from all gluten.

Holler if you have any questions. I've had to eat gluten free for 5 years.
Thanks Linda for your reply. So once you gave up gluten what improvements did you notice.
My problems were intestinal. And they cleared up in about 3 days. If I accidentally ingest gluten I know it within an hour or so...don't get between me and the bathroom.

Unfortunately, the symptoms can be very different with many people which makes it even harder to diagnose.

It took a couple years for me to settle into a routine of what foods I know I can eat and which ones to be suspicious. Those with celiacs disease are 30 times more likely to get color cancer if we ingest gluten so it pays to be diligent.

Try some gluten free oats to see if you can tolerate them. I too love a good bowl of oatmeal with blueberries.
Hi azureblue. I'm gluten intolerant and have been limiting my gluten intake for many many years as I feel quite bloated and uncomfortable if I eat too much of it. I'm not coeliac so I can tolerate some. What I tend to do is eat gluten free at home ie gluten free muesli and I have gluten free bread and eat rice crackers and save my gluten intake for when I am out. There is an organisation here called Coeliac Australia and I've had a look and there is a UK one too which will point you in the right direction. It has lots useful information. I don't find it onerous eating gluten free at home at all. My one comment on the bread that I buy from our supermarket is that I only like it toasted which is fine as I can still make a sandwich out of it. It just doesn't taste nice untoasted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1