The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

30 posts Page 1 of 2
I used to think that Olive Oil was the perfect everything, but I recently read in another forum that olive oil has 110 calories per tablespoon and couldn't believe it - but it's true. A tablespoon of peanut butter only has 90 calories. I never suspected that olive oil could have so many calories - somehow, I feel betrayed.
LOL

But the latest research says your diet should have 85% calories from fat (10 from protein, 5 from carbs). So olive oil should be your hero!
85% calories from FAT?
Does that mean in a TDEE intake of 1500 cals per day, I should take in 1275 from FAT?

What is this latest research - is it sponsored by the Olive Oil council?
PennyForthem wrote: 85% calories from FAT?
Does that mean in a TDEE intake of 1500 cals per day, I should take in 1275 from FAT?

I assume your math is correct - lol.

It is hard when 40+ years of 'truth' turns out to be dead wrong. See: the-5-2-lab-f10/topic6811.html

:bugeyes: :confused:
I would not mind knowing how much fat is actually needed to grease the wheels on a fast day, so to speak
I think it is 120 calories per TS but I don't understand what's the problem...
Yes, I was trying to make a salad dressing on a fast day once, and the oil really threw me off!
gillymary wrote: I would not mind knowing how much fat is actually needed to grease the wheels on a fast day, so to speak

According to this, take 4 tablespoons of olive oil and that should be about it.
You might be able to have an apple as well.
:lol:
Then zilch for the rest of your fast day.
simcoeluv wrote: LOL

But the latest research says your diet should have 85% calories from fat (10 from protein, 5 from carbs).

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek and yikes!!! :shock: :bugeyes: :confused:
simcoeluv wrote:
PennyForthem wrote: 85% calories from FAT?

I assume your math is correct - lol.

It is hard when 40+ years of 'truth' turns out to be dead wrong. See: the-5-2-lab-f10/topic6811.html

:bugeyes: :confused:

I'm a big fan of LCHF but I struggle to meet Phinney and Volek's 85%. Taubes goes for 10-15% carb, 20-30% protein and 60-70% fat which seems easier to achieve. Of course its OK provided you don't try to combine high fat AND high carb. Then you would pack on the pounds! :lol:
I have to admit I took the extreme ratio to stimulate discussion. I think the information has to get out that the low fat diet is dangerous to human health.

To be more accurate, while the 85/10/5 is best for me personally, Phinney/Volek in the interview gave 60/24/16 as an example of a reasonable diet mix for a large group of people.

Tying it to 5:2, it appears that by severely restricting calories two days a week we are also seriously restricting our carb intake - especially if we eat high fat/protein food on our fast days (or don't eat at all). It is interesting to read the posts by people that believe eating high fat/protein on their fast days works better than eating high carb food on those days.

And as I said in another post somewhere around here, who would think that eating more carbs increases the saturated fat levels in the blood? Or that eating saturated fat has no correlation with higher heart disease?

Nothing like new facts to challenge old beliefs!
I think that the only way I'd believe that saturated fats aren't related to heart disease is if God cane and told me and we all know that this won't happen.

Regarding that 85/10/5, although my stomach is known to digest rocks (LOL) I don't think that I could tolerate eating like that. I eat 2 TS of olive oil daily -when I'm not fasting- and half of the dairy I eat is full fat. Milk and yoghurt are always low fat though, I hate the smell of full fat milk and the taste of full fat yoghurt. I also hate the smell of full fat cottage and cream cheese.
Why is my brain not working on this post. I get it we need fat but good fats and even a little bit of that will go a long way.

I have 1/2 tspn virgin coconut oil in coffee on every fast day. If I cook anything I add a splash of virgin olive oil as I don't do the sprays.

Tend to minimise my butter but somethings just need butter so moderation is the key. I cut off the fat if I have meat. Don't eat chicken. My milk is minimal just in my cuppa and my yoghurt twice a week about now is low fat Greek. My downfall is cheese which I crave and eat on every non 5:2 day again in moderation and only white.

So can someone tell me am I getting enough fat. Am 200gms off loosing 12kg in 6 months
I would love to know if increasing your fats, but not animal fats as in butter, cheese, from red meats and poultry, but in "healthy" fats, such as oily fish, olive oil, avocados and nuts, and avocado oil and walnut and almond oil, and possibly coconut oil would be healthier than a high fat intake from animal sources? Does anyone know?
I expect so and your GP can tell you from your bloods if your good fats levels are up and your cholesterol is down. The brain needs fat doesn't it?
30 posts Page 1 of 2