The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

17 posts Page 1 of 2
Practice Happiness?
19 Nov 2013, 09:56
I watched this documentary, Happy (free on Amazon Prime if you have that) recently. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1613092/

It was pretty interesting. I think probably all of us realize that happiness isn't at the bottom of a bag of chips, chocolate, etc...nor the bottom of the bottle of wine. Well, maybe I should say most of us. :wink: When you consider it longer you probably would even agree that money can't buy you happiness or love. It's something that most people are seeking and many are not actually finding.

This documentary suggests that happiness is a skill that you can learn and should practice daily by meditation, prayer, learning/practicing compassion, counting your blessings (gratitude), being a part of something bigger than yourself, practicing random acts of kindness, dancing, singing, being creative, embracing community, etc.

So, do you agree? Do you believe these practices would cure chronic depression--as the movie suggests these methods work better than pharmaceutical treatmeant. Do you mindfully practice happiness? How?
Re: Practice Happiness?
19 Nov 2013, 10:04
I haven't watched the link, will do later, but I do think there is a lot in the premise of 'mind over matter' but sometimes situations are just too overwhelming but in general terms, yes. If I feel a bit down, I know that is a WHOLE different thing to being depressed but it is the first step on the ladder, then I force myself to go for a walk! phone a friend for coffee or do something slightly indulgent to snap me out of it and it usually works. I really sympathise with anyone who suffers from depression or is living with a depressed person, not easy and I have no answers, just hugs,

Ballerina x :heart:
19 Nov 2013, 10:31
Just some thoughts and discussion from me, too. No answers. Just philosophi-sizing. LOL, I don't think that is even a word and I took a couple of those classes in college.

Anyway... I think a lot of people try to self-medicate their unhappiness with food, drugs, alcohol, even exercise endorphins. But, I'm not sure whether I can agree that is as simple as someone just deciding one day that "Hey, I'm gonna get happy." And, then you do it and you are. Just an observation...but I have seen a lot of people in church environments doing many of those spiritual things listed and to be honest there was no shortage of negativity and unhappiness in those environments. Maybe you have to mindfully do those things with the intention of making yourself more happy? IDK.

I do have to say that when I exercise, do yoga, eat better, meditate, sing, dance, get crafty etc. Those are definitely things that improve my mood and my life. I don't know if I can say, though that they would cure depression. Just my rambling opinions here. Feel free to agree, disagree, philosophasize some more. :smile:
19 Nov 2013, 10:43
I haven't seen this yet but I think that some prople are naturally happy and some not. Perhaps it's the same as positive and negative personalities? I have a lot of stress and bad stuff going on in my life but on the whole I'm happy between the bad bits, I'm a forward thinker, always planning ahead, could that be the reason for my inner happiness?
I'm a smiley person too. :smile: :smile: :lol: :grin: :smile:
19 Nov 2013, 10:53
There is a big difference between being unhappy and being depressed. (sorry that sounds really preachy/snippy and I don't mean it too)
However, cognitive behaviour therapy (which can be useful for people who are depressed) looks at changing how we look and feel about things from negative to positive, so there is possibly something gin what the documentary is saying . Haven't seen it.
Also, belonging to other things 'outside' can foster a feeling of community/belonging which can make coping easier.
And happy people tend to be infectious. Which is a good thing
:)
19 Nov 2013, 11:17
I'm all for it! OH has depression and has been enormously hard work recently. I try to dig him out into the fresh air and sunshine as much as possible as it does really help, but he rejects people company, happier with animals.
Keep smiling m'dears :0D
19 Nov 2013, 11:24
That's a good point, janeg and I agree there is a big difference. This documentary was mostly about finding happiness, happiness studies, the science of happiness, etc. But, there was a section about brain scans, studies, research etc. That was where it was stated that those things I mentioned would cure depression better than medicine.

Never been on depression medication...can't really say too much about them. But, I've been pondering on it since I saw it...going back and forth on my opinions, too. I mean...I do believe, for example, that exercise, diet, sunshine, etc. all improve mood and even some depression. (From experience and just agreeing with that premise or philosophy.) But, saying it cures or makes a better treatment for chronic or clinical depression stretches my beliefs a little. ETA; I will have to watch that part again, because I think what it actually said was that those methods were more effective than both medicine and therapy.

Before watching this documentary I never really thought much about happiness studies or "the science of happiness." Which is weird because I have a minor in psychology. But, as a guy in this documentary pointed out that field focuses a lot more on depression and psych disorders than studying happiness.
19 Nov 2013, 23:06
43tweaker wrote:

I do have to say that when I exercise, do yoga, eat better, meditate, sing, dance, get crafty etc. Those are definitely things that improve my mood and my life. I don't know if I can say, though that they would cure depression. Just my rambling opinions here. Feel free to agree, disagree, philosophasize some more. :smile:

I agree with Tweaks..i get down a lot because i have a life limiting illness that day to day frustrates me,and which longterm has led to losing my career,my income and my home. Whats worse is my daughter suffers the same illness which as a Mum causes me a lot of heartache and worry
However,like Tweaks,when I walk in the park or on the beach,eat better, meditate,and try to draw or paint,my mood lifts. Listening to music is the thing that lifts me more than anything!even if i'm in a lot of pain. I agree with this guy..
"Music is the only religion that delivers the goods.” (Frank Zappa )
I know deep depression needs more than these things to remedy the situation,but for being down in the dumps,simple things can have a magical effect.
Ps Hope yr OH gets well soon Azure x
20 Nov 2013, 06:10
Candice, I totally get this...I live it and I could have probably written it myself. I think the main difference is that my issues are less about pain and more about feeling like you've been run over by a Mack Truck. It is really hard to think happy thoughts when you feel that badly. For me it is more about exhaustion and frustration than depression. But, eventually one does lead to the other.

There is a sort of which came first the chicken or the egg type thing. When my energy levels are just one notch above dead doing things like yoga, eating right and exercise are out of reach. But, when I stop doing things like yoga, eating right and exercise I start to feel like death warmed over and I have no energy. Intellectually I know those are the only things that are going to help.

This is how I came to know about things like doing yoga in bed if I literally don't have the strength to get up and get going. Youtube is my BFF for meditation and yoga videos that can be done in bed during the darkest, coldest parts of winter when hibernation feels like a much better idea. Last winter I went on a beach vacation in January which helped a lot. This winter I think I will have to get one of those grow lights/fake sunshine lamps or maybe even go to the tanning bed a couple of times.
20 Nov 2013, 07:15
Hi,
I've not watched the link, but agree with the principles which you outline. However, I slipped into a very deep depression as a result of work-related stress some years ago, and though I knew the things which would help me, I didn't have the energy to devote to them. I briefly took medication, but as soon as I was able to take myself onto the moors and to listen to music, I was able to start reducing the dose. It was a combination of exercise in beautiful places, spiritual practice and exposure to other beautiful things which healed me. It took time before I was able to spend a lot of time with people, as initially I found it too depleting to be in the company of strangers. I think that extraverts are energised by people but those who are more introverted tend to give out their energy to others, so are sustained by less social activities when they are at a low ebb. Close relationships were certainly different for me and I valued the support of loved ones.

So, in summary, for me medication was a tool which enabled me to heal myself when very low. Generally it is music, nature, spiritual practice, close relationships ( with pets as well as people) and gentle exercise which give my life meaning and it is a sense of meaning which helps me to be happy.
20 Nov 2013, 08:12
@Bracken
for those of us of the introverted persuasion
http://themetapicture.com/how-to-intera ... troverted/

I think your comments on the need for medication and then when the effects kick in, the non medication stuff is so true. It is certainly what I have observed in many others ( in a professional capacity) and also experienced first hand.
Very interesting thread,
21 Nov 2013, 00:31
http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865550 ... ppier.html

(Interesting article about the movie from the link above)

What makes people happy?

It's the question at the heart of filmmaker Roko Belic’s new documentary feature film simply — but appropriately — titled “Happy.”

The film was originally inspired by a 2005 New York Times article “A New Measure of Well-Being from a Happy Little Kingdom” by Andrew C. Revkin in which the United States was ranked 23rd on a list of the happiest nations in the world. With much poorer countries like Iceland and Puerto Rico easily surpassing the U.S., "Happy" makes a compelling argument that once basic necessities like food and shelter are provided for, economic factors have relatively little to do with overall satisfaction in life.

Instead, using a balance of scientific research and fascinating human stories, the filmmakers explore some of the non-material roots of happiness, and in the process, show that while there isn’t a formula for it, everyone can become happier.

With subjects ranging from an Indian rickshaw driver to a family of crab-fishing Cajuns in the Louisiana bayou to an aging Brazilian surfer, the film benefits from the huge variety of experiences it examines.

Belic, whose 1999 documentary “Genghis Blues” was nominated for an Academy Award, never dwells on any topic for too long. Instead, the film jumps from country to country at a refreshingly brisk pace, and in so doing avoids the tedium sometimes associated with educational documentaries.

Ultimately, though, that quality — perhaps the documentary’s single biggest strength — also turns out to be one of its only real weaknesses. At a scant 75 minutes, there is just too much to say and not enough room to say it in.

Although this is as much a compliment as it is a criticism, many of the sub-topics the filmmakers touch on, often very briefly, are compelling enough in their own right that entire documentaries could easily be devoted to them.

One example is the recent Japanese phenomenon known as “karoushi” (literally, “dying from overwork”). Citing scientific research that argues one’s health is directly related to his or her happiness, the filmmakers contrast the alarming work situation in many Japanese cities — where “karoushi” is being listed as the legal cause of death with more and more frequency — with another Japanese oddity: a disproportionate number of centenarians in rural areas, especially on the island of Okinawa. As fascinating as this dichotomy is, however, it only makes up a small part of the 75-minute running time.

Because of this, “Happy” works best as an introduction to the subject, and it presents its information in a clear and appealing way that often belies the sheer quantity of stuff being thrown on the screen — data and stories culled from five continents over a period of four years.

Probably the best compliment that can be paid to “Happy,” however, is this: It is as enjoyable to watch as the name would imply. Similar to last year’s “Life in a Day,” “Happy” is brimming with positive energy and a sense of joy regarding the shared human experience. For many audience members, just sitting through the movie and engaging with the individual stories will likely make their day that much happier.

Screenings for "Happy" were recently held on Feb. 11, although none were held in Utah. The film can be seen on DVD or downloaded on iTunes. For more information, visitwww.thehappymovie.com.

A native of Utah Valley and a devoted cinephile, Jeff is currently studying humanities and history at Brigham Young University.
21 Nov 2013, 01:58
Thanks, janeg, for link about introversion. My family knows that when I disappear to commune with my current book during a holiday weekend, it's only because I need to recharge my batteries with some "alone-time" not because I'm rejecting them.

I think you are referring to the Meyers-Briggs personality types. I'm an INTJ--unusual for a woman, I'm told.

I really enjoy interacting with others but am mentally and emotionally exhausted by it at the end of the day.

My hint for happiness: "envy is loser's game" there's always someone richer, smarter, better looking, etc., etc. than you are. Don't waste time or energy wanting to have something or be someone you can't. :smile:
21 Nov 2013, 03:32
One of my favourite books of all time is 'The Practice of Happiness' by John Kehoe. Easy to read, interesting stories from a great man that I had the fortune to study with.
21 Nov 2013, 05:22
Janeg,

Thanks for your link. That's certainly me. I also see that (and its opposites) professionally and find that people don't always understand what helps them. It makes a great deal of sense to people when they are aware of the introversion/extraversion distinction, and certainly has been useful in my work.

On a personal level I often need to remind myself of what I need and to ensure that I give it to myself, so that I am able to go out into the world and give to others through my professional role.

In terms of the Myers Briggs system mentioned by Marybeth, which is based on Jung's theories, my preferences generally characterise me as an INTP, but I do notice variation from time to time; sometimes the feeling dimension can be stronger in me.

In considering my own general happiness I think there's a central place for beauty and creativity. It sounds a little corny, but I am sustained by beautiful things such as a landscape, a piece of music, visual art, or literature, cooking something special and experiencing others'enjoyment of it, playing with a child, interacting with animals,singing....I find that when I am "moved" by things I tend to be very happy indeed.
17 posts Page 1 of 2