The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Really bad fast day :(
15 Jan 2014, 21:33
Hey all,

I had my first fast day last Friday and it went amazing, then Mondays wasn't great but today is my 3rd and I feel awful. I'm doing 4:3.

I feel sick and shaky, really really cold and keep making mistakes-like I'm saying the wrong words and things! I had butternut squash soup for tea that my mum made and it was delicious but I overestimated calories as I wasn't sure the exact quantities of ingredients. I also had a slice of crusty bread and a babybel. I weighed myself this morning "unofficially" and I've lost 4lb...I know it's probably water but that us literally the only thing that's making me keep going.

I've drank less coffee than normal because I'm not in work but I've been drinking loads of water. Is this normal? I'm just annoyed because Friday was brilliant!
Re: Really bad fast day :(
15 Jan 2014, 21:40
It was probably lack of salt. When you suddenly start to drink loads of water you lose salts in your urine, this causes an electrolyte imbalance. Your body will become used to the extra water, but in the meantime you should have something with some salt in it when you need it. Most people opt for a mug of Bovril/OXO/ boulion, Miso soup or a low calorie cup-a-soup (counting the calories) A mug of Bovril will rarely be more than 30kcals.

It could also be caffeine withdrawal too. So keep up with your regular caffeine intake too.
Get your fasts down pat before trying to make adjustments to other parts of your diet.
15 Jan 2014, 21:42
Hi:

I have no idea why you would start with 4:3 when you had not proven to yourself you could do 5:2. I always suggest you start with 5:2 and after successfully doing it for one to two months, if you are unhappy with the results, thinking then of doing something different.

If you are intent on 4:3, just make sure you are eating 500 cal or less on your diet days, and don't worry about what you are eating on your normal days until you have done your diet days successfully for one to two months.

It takes time for your body to adjust, and there is no quick fix.

Good Luck!
15 Jan 2014, 21:43
Good advice from Julie. It does get easier so keep trying.
15 Jan 2014, 22:24
@julieathome & @rawkaren thanks. I've seen that on here a few times but it sounds awful! Nonetheless will give it a go on Friday!

@simcoeluv I just thought I'd give it a go and adjust if necessary. I'm not a big eater anyway so I thought I could do it!

I'm also worried I'm coming down with something, maybe that's half the battle?
15 Jan 2014, 22:36
The coldness can be a symptom from fasting - many of us experience that and I think the jury is still out on the exact cause. When I first experienced it I too thought I was getting the flu but nope it was just due to the fasting - again that warm soup of miso may help with that by warming you but also giving you that extra sodium at the same time.
15 Jan 2014, 22:45
:heart: Hi @Danielle21711 your fast day has gone well with your meal but the side effects you're having aren't good I always have an oxo on fastday afternoons but if this is something that doesn't appeal to you could you put a little salt into a glass of water I've seen moogie advise this.
But do make yourself a coffee as when you're at work you've had good fastdays, now you've got your parents onside you need to make your F/days more enjoyable. :heart:
7 posts Page 1 of 1