The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

26 posts Page 2 of 2
Juliana.Rivers wrote: Anyone else close to having lost say 50% of what they wanted to lose in say the first 5 to 6 months after starting IF

Started 4:3 on 1st May at 146lbs, aiming for 116lbs, i.e. 30lbs loss. My actual loss as of *today* (including the antics of the V&P vary-fairy and evil-scales-fairy) is 25.4lbs (that's 17% of my body weight).

So, nearly 85% of target weight lost in 146 days, just less than 5 months. Does that do?

I should add that, until this week, the last month has seen the scales doing variations upon a theme, around the 122 to 123 lbs mark. Before the V&P vary-fairy came by, the progress tracker was estimating that I'd meet my target in early September - now it's late October.

Gnash, FatDog.

Edit: I should add that "I've cheated" - I threw moving to a low carbohydrate approach in on 24th June and that certainly seemed to increase the loss rate for a wee while. Quite apart from weight-loss, I'm sticking with both IF and low-carb for the foreseeable for their anti-dementia properties (amongst other health benefits).
Merlin, roughly you have taken 6 months for 1/2 Target loss which is my exact premise.

It's rough. Some will take 4 monts some 8 months but guess what I'm saying is you need to wait longer than half a year to reach your goal weight and with the year ( almost ) guaranteeing full success ) if you stick to your own personal "rules " in entire year
FatDog wrote:
Juliana.Rivers wrote: Anyone else close to having lost say 50% of what they wanted to lose in say the first 5 to 6 months after starting IF

Started 1st May at 146lbs, aiming for 116lbs, i.e. 30lbs loss. My actual loss as of *today* (including the antics of the V&P vary-fairy and evil-scales-fairy) is 25.4lbs (that's 17% of my body weight).

So, nearly 85% of target weight lost in 146 days, just less than 5 months. Does that do?

I should add that, until this week, the last month has seen the scales doing variations upon a theme, around the 122 to 123 lbs mark. Before the V&P vary-fairy came by, the progress tracker was estimating that I'd meet my target in early September - now it's late October.

Gnash, FatDog.

Better than expected! Well done
Ta @Juliana.Rivers - I've just edited my post which might explain the "better than expected" bit : I moved to low carb in June...

Sorry for the confounder, FatDog.
Sounds like low carb in conjunction with 5-2 can be an effective weight loss speeder upper

I love my bread and potatoes too much but I have cut down a lot

Juliana, I think that could well depend on how much the individual needs to lose. If, for example, you have 75kgs to lose, you would need to lose an average of 1.5kgs per week every week to make it to goal weight in 12 months. That's quite a dangerous amount of weight to lose that quickly!
Yes-but the stats don't show the weeks when life has got in the way-overall I've probably had 6+ weeks when fasting has been impossible and each time I have found it relatively easy to start again.Thats why it is the longest time I have ever consistently managed to lose weight-however slowly or quickly.
I like the tracker the way it is because it is very clear what the initial weight is, what is the goal (and the interim goal) and where we are in the process.

Now, if you want to compare your loss rate with someone else, the fairest way to do it is to use % but not of the weight you or them want to lose, but the % of your original weight is. So, if I weight 200 pounds and lose 20 pounds, I've lost 10% of my original weight. If you started at 150 pounds and lost the same 20 pounds, you lost 13.3% of your original weight and therefore you would be "the biggest loser" ;)
Iztla wrote: I like the tracker the way it is because it is very clear what the initial weight is, what is the goal (and the interim goal) and where we are in the process.

Now, if you want to compare your loss rate with someone else, the fairest way to do it is to use % but not of the weight you or them want to lose, but the % of your original weight is. So, if I weight 200 pounds and lose 20 pounds, I've lost 10% of my original weight. If you started at 150 pounds and lost the same 20 pounds, you lost 13.3% of your original weight and therefore you would be "the biggest loser" ;)

Yes, percent of total original weight is an equally valid way of looking at it and indeed is how the "biggest loser" reality show works it out. I guess one looks at the original body mass and the other, the original body mass loss whatever it may be .. 5kg, 10kg 20kg, 30kg etc

Both % of targetted weight loss and % of total body mass lost correctly detract from raw numbers which is my original point that losing the much spoken of 1 pound a week may just not be relevant to you.

Looking at total body mass I have lost 4% thus far hoping to lose a total of 10.5% at the end of my journey. I dont want to lose a pound a week. Ive set myself 10 or 12 months to lose 8kg or 17.5 pounds or a mere 1/3 pound (160grams) a week. And im right on target. :like:

Except for the comment that it may be "dangerous" to lose say 60kg in 12 months then, generally speaking i think setting oneself a timeline to get those unwanted kilos off, of say 10 to 12 months is not such a bad thing. It countenances the worry some people have that it all takes too long or "ive plateaued" If you are only in month 5 or 6 it doesn't matter as your only half way there, calendar wise.

I ended up renaming this thread as original one was a bit crazy
Juliana, I got to my target weight in about 6 months, from 11 stone 3 lb to 9 stone 7 lb. Admittedly I did 'change the goalpost' a couple of times, my original goal was 9 stone, then I changed it to 8 stone 12 lb, then I decided to stop losing weight because my face was getting too thin at 9 stone 7 lb.

If I hadn't changed from the original 9 stone goal I don't think it would have taken another 6 months to lose that 7 lb. So sorry your suggestion of 10 to 12 months to reach the target weight didn't work for me (luckily), my average loss was just under 1 lb a week before I changed to maintenance.

Interesting thread though. :like:
I should be on target to lose 50 lbs in a year. I've lost 30 so far but on a bit of plateau for the last month.
26 posts Page 2 of 2