The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Funny bowl movements, advice?
24 Aug 2013, 11:51
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the 5:2 fasting programme so hello! I started a week ago and I've lost 2 lbs .. I find my fasting days very easy, no headaches, I don't feel cold or tired or weak, lots of energy. It's the minute I start eating again! I get stomach ache two hours later and I have to rush to the toilet, sorry to be so blunt but I haven't had hard stools all week since starting this 5:2 diet. It's like water, I know this isn't good and it's quite frustrating. Me and my partner went out for a meal last night (he has also started fasting) and we both had to go to the loo when we got home, again liquid and runny stools.

So unfortunately this has really put me off as I can't see anyone else having these side effects? Has anyone had this happen in the first week, my body adjusting? I'm going to give it a few weeks and see what happens but right now, yes I've lost weight and I find my fast days fine, but if I have to feel like I need the loo every time I eat something again I won't continue with it :(
So far.. Not so good!
24 Aug 2013, 11:55
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the 5:2 fasting programme so hello! I started a week ago and I've lost 2 lbs (hoorah ) .. I find my fasting days very easy, no headaches, I don't feel cold or tired or weak, lots of energy. It's the minute I start eating again! I get stomach ache two hours later and I have to rush to the toilet, sorry to be so blunt but I haven't had hard stools all week since starting this 5:2 diet. It's like water, I know this isn't good and it's quite frustrating. Me and my partner went out for a meal last night (he has also started fasting) and we both had to go to the loo when we got home, again liquid and runny stools.

So unfortunately this has really put me off as I can't see anyone else having these side effects? Has anyone had this happen in the first week, my body adjusting? I'm going to give it a few weeks and see what happens but right now, yes I've lost weight and I find my fast days fine, but if I have to feel like I need the loo every time I eat something again I won't continue with it :(
Re: So far.. Not so good!
24 Aug 2013, 12:12
Hello Carly and welcome! :grin:

I would say hang in there and give it one more week. I've noticed that when this happens I tend to loose a little more that week. I know it kinda sucks, but at least you have lost 2 pounds so far and your finding the fasts easy. :victory:

Keep up the AWESOME job! I'm sure this will pass (no pun intended) soon enough!
I don't think it's the fasting, particularly since you are both experiencing the same. Maybe it's a bug? Something you have both eaten? Hope you're feeling better soon.
24 Aug 2013, 13:04
Could be a tummy bug and unrelated to 5.2, especially as you both have it? If it's 5.2 related it will soon settle down, bodies are good that way. :smile:
Carly, I have had similar experience. I have learned that the meal after the fast needs to be light because you have a very empty stomach. Also fatty/oily foods can cause this. The other possibility is if you ate lettuce/spinach that was contaminated with germy stuff. These foods are not always the safest if they are not properly washed. You can't always count on a restaurant to do the right thing.
It could be a fluke, a bug, an adjustment, or you might just be more sensitive.

One option is to add soluble fiber such as psyllium to your diet (daily), which has other benefits for your bowel health and cholesterol anyways. I started taking it before 5:2 as a powder you dissolve in water 2x a day and drink. On fast days it helps to keep you feeling full as a bonus.

Anyway, it traps water and keeps a constant flow of solids moving through the gut, which should help even out the ups and downs produced by fasting. Just an option.

Another option would be to try to ease into 5:2 by starting with a more modest fast, perhaps 40-50% of TDEE. ALso make sure you are eating good fiber and protein those days. If your body handles it without issue, then you can cut down the calories on fast as long as it behaves well.

Bodies do adapt to 5:2, some more easily that others. Some require help and or more gentle easing in.
24 Aug 2013, 14:15
Ah, that's not fun! What the others have said plus it could be a food intolerance. What are you eating when you break your fasts?
24 Aug 2013, 14:30
I had this on the morning after fast days (probably after I ate breakfast) for probably the first two months. I really didn't think that much about it, because I had my gallbladder removed years ago and can have a tendency toward that anyway. But it was after *every* fast day for a while. I haven't had that problem in a long time.

There's a chance it's just cleaning out the plumbing, so to speak. I would definitely increase my liquids to compensate. If you don't otherwise feel sick, try just eating some bulkier food (they recommend bananas, rice, applesauce and toast - the BRAT diet - for combating this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRAT_diet ) on your feed days and see if it goes away.

If you do also feel sick, I would discontinue fasting and check with your doctor.
24 Aug 2013, 14:36
Since these posts were basically identical, I merged the threads. This will make it a lot easier for people and avoid repetition. Thanks!
24 Aug 2013, 15:17
Carly, are you eating your 500/600 calories on your Fast days? Most users here suffer from the oopposite problem of constipation. Would suggest you concentrate on high protien foods, veggies, etc. and avoid milk first thing after a Fast day.
Give it another week and I am sure it will sort itself out.
24 Aug 2013, 19:28
Watch what your eating after your fast. I find anything too oily, heavy, carby has me bloating and exiting stage left rather quickly. My OH learnt the hard way and woolfed down fish and chips after a fast (after night shift, not for breakfast) doubled up in pain and running up the stairs a short while after!
Remember you have rested your stomach whilst fasting you need to ease it back into eating.
Keep going, hopefully it will all settle down soon and 5:2 won't have you running to the loo;)
12 posts Page 1 of 1