The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

15 posts Page 1 of 1
Sorry another question!
23 Oct 2013, 00:03
3 months into this WOL I still struggle with my feast days.
I don't tend to start getting hungry until 3-4 hours after I wake up so I normally have something about 10AM. It's not (normally) something big unless it's the weekend but I find once I've had something I want more, and more, and more, and therefore I end up grazing every hour or two.
For example, yesterday was a fast day and today I woke up at 6AM. Hunger pangs started at 9.30AM so I had an apple. Then a snack size pack of sultanas and apricots. My tummy is rumbling again now (11AM) so I will have a mug of miso and then at around 12noon 2 boiled eggs, and maybe an hour later my pumpkin soup. Mid afternoon I will probably have another apple and then at about 7PM I'll have dinner. So in theory, I don't stop eating all day, even though they're all things that are low calorie.
Is this going to affect things for me? After 30+ hours of fasting twice a week then 5 days where I constantly 'graze' I am concerned I am ruining the benefits. During the week I never go over TDEE but I go a bit mad at weekends although rarely anything absolutely dreadful.
My weight loss has stopped for about a month and therefore am I doing something wrong? (weight has been going between 10st13lb and 11st4lb).
I know I'm not overweight but I still want to get another stone (and a half ideally) off but it seems like the way I'm going is not helping.
Any advice?
Lil :heart:
Re: Sorry another question!
23 Oct 2013, 00:30
Hi:

If you actually cut 3000 cal. a week for a month without losing weight you are probably eating too many calories on your feast days.

Also, most of your snacks are high carb, which do leave you hungry soon after you eat them.

I'd calorie count for a week (including a weekend) to see how many calories I was actually eating.

Good Luck!
23 Oct 2013, 04:31
I'd agree with that assessment. Less dried fruit perhaps, as very high sugar. Maybe relook at your snacks, go for small handle of almonds, maybe 1/4 avocado on corn thins, small full fat, sugar free yogurt.
Definitely check the calories, but reassess the snacks and go for good fat and protein, more filling.
23 Oct 2013, 04:40
I try and avoid snacks. If I start, I find the rest of the day is hard, with me wanting to graze all day. Instead, I eat a protein rich breakfast, even if it's hours after i wake up, and then switch off thinking about food until lunch. Again, eat lunch and then switch off about food until dinner. Obviously, it doesn't work all the time, and I do have (especially arvo) snacks - but so much of snacking is just habit.
23 Oct 2013, 04:46
Once I start though that's it I can't stop thinking about food. I think I'm bingeing more than ever at the moment :(
I want to carry on this habit of not having breakfast but I struggle to last until lunchtime so I think little and often is the way to go for me although better foods.
My main concern though is if this will prevent weight loss.
23 Oct 2013, 04:52
Only if you are going over your TDEE regularly. If you started with something protein rich as Katamac says you may be able to last longer. Having said that somedays I just start and can't stop!
23 Oct 2013, 05:16
I would agree with the breakfast. You almost say this yourself. Why are you so keen to miss breakfast? It's my favourite meal after a fast day. :) You could try doing it at the other end of the day ie. Nothing after 7pm? Just a thought. Some days following fasts I don't know when to stop too. X
23 Oct 2013, 05:27
Thanks bofa. Because once I have breakfast that's it lol! I also like to extend my fast as long as possible. Evenings are too hard for me to not eat after a certain time. I hate going to bed not feeling satisfied, 2 days of the week are enough lol.
23 Oct 2013, 05:42
So basically you want to be able to graze but still lose weight? If this is so you will have to eat better snacks - cut the carbs (Carorees has just posted a useful 50g list)/ sugar and go for good fat and protein combo's. I don't " do" snacking these days but I do only eat proper fats, no low fat yoghurt for instance but the full fat versions which do keep me fuller for longer.
23 Oct 2013, 05:52
You don't really have meals through the day just snacks so maybe you feel like you haven't really eaten. I agree with the high carb bit. More protein and some salad and veggies through the day might help.
23 Oct 2013, 06:08
Yeh maybe that's it actually wine-o, I just had soup so don't feel like I've really eaten much all day!! I think I will try having salads again with protein and avo (my fave) I just got a bit lazy..
23 Oct 2013, 08:58
Lil
I like you was delighted at losing 20 lbs and then struggled to move on. I,m on thyroxine and my dr suggested I eat an hour after I took my thyroxine so on fast days I ate 2 scrambled eggs with mushrooms for breakfast and some light homemade veg soup (24 calories) when I felt like lunch and then salmon and veg or salad at about 6pm. My dr suggested protein was the key even on nonfast days so I tried some protein for breakfast every day and hey I've lost another 10 lbs since then quite easily. I still have 10 lbs to go but if I get bogged down again I'll stop, like you,consider things,look at my diet and ask for suggestions again? You could think about protein in the morning.....
Chris
06 Nov 2013, 03:45
Slight update just showing a few days from this week. Things are still far from perfect but I feel I'm making progress.. any further suggestions welcome :)

Monday - Fast day

Coffee with chocolate soy milk
Herbal teas
2 mugs miso soup
Small tin of tuna in olive oil with spinach, some 4 mix beans, and sweet corn

Tuesday - feast day

Herbal teas
Snack pack of sultanas and apricots (I am just finishing off the box and won't buy them again)
Salad with heaps of spinach, 2 boiled eggs, half an avocado, 2-3 tablespoons of full fat cottage cheese, 4 bean mix, sweet corn and no fat salad dressing
Apple
250g chicken with broccoli, capsicum, sweet corn and peas with oyster sauce, cooked in olive oil with miracle rice
Glass of chocolate milk (I want to cut this out but need healthy alternatives for a yummy milk if anyone has any suggestions)

Wednesday - today

Herbal teas
Same salad as yesterday for lunch
At the pub tonight going to have a Greek salad with chicken and 2-3 glasses of red wine - this is a treat as I have recently started cutting down on the drink

Tomorrow will be my second fast day of the week

Does this look better? Any more suggestions? I certainly feel better and I am not getting hungry for hours after my lunch - maybe because I'm eating fats?

06 Nov 2013, 04:15
To reiterate what wineolock says, your first menu just looks like a list of snacks. There are no actual meals in there apart from dinner. No wonder you're hungry all the time! The second list looks much better; you're actually eating real meals so you're much more likely to be satisfied for longer.
06 Nov 2013, 04:19
That looks really good!
15 posts Page 1 of 1