The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
I am glad to see the forums are starting to get more active again. I lost about 30 lbs last year, mostly using 5:2 and really working on my exercise. I was just starting to get a little burned out on dieting and exercise when I fell on the ice in February and broke my wrist. I didn't have surgery, but I did have to have a cast and was in a lot of pain. My hand swelled so much during this time I could barely walk to the mailbox, much less take a real walk or go to the gym. I also had trouble cooking or doing much of anything other than going to work and coming back to sit on the couch and sulk. During this time I stopped 5:2 because it was just too stressful to fast and I wasn't sure if it would be healthy to do during recovery. Now the cast is off, I've gone to occupational therapy, I'm able to cook and life is getting better again. However, I gained back 15 lbs in three months! It's amazing how quickly it started coming back. I guess eating take out food and drinking wine aren't that good for maintaining. I've started back on 5:2 a couple of weeks ago and I already feel so much better. I've lost 3 lbs, but the best thing is is my appetite and cravings are starting to get back under control again. I'm getting pickier about what I eat again and have been able to cut down on the wine. I don't have any excuse because my wrist doesn't hurt anymore. A learning experience for me during this is that in some ways, 5:2 is like any other diet for me. When I am very stressed out or having physical difficulties, I find it too hard to follow so the weight piles back on. The better thing about it than other diets is I am finding it much easier to start again because it really improves my mood and makes me feel better quickly. I'm hoping I can get back to where I was. It is nice to have Moogie's tracker available to see where I was and how long it took me to get there. It gives me hope I can get back.

Have any of you had broken bones or other injuries while doing 5:2? Did you try to keep fasting while recovering?
Welcome back x! Glad that nasty experience is now behind you and youre back in the saddle!
Hi @kbeagle welcome back. I'm glad to hear you are feeling much better and I did enjoy reading your thoughtful post, so thank you for that. In particular I liked the reminder of how fasting helps control appetite, choices and mood. Before your accident were you maintaining successfully? I have been in maintenance for 5 months and all is going well so far - I view this way of eating as my choice - not a diet that has all the connotations of restrictions.
Well done on your 3lb weightloss - that's a positive step towards 15. :clover:
Lizbean wrote: Hi @kbeagle ...Before your accident were you maintaining successfully? I have been in maintenance for 5 months and all is going well so far - I view this way of eating as my choice - not a diet that has all the connotations of restrictions.

Before my accident, I had hit a plateau, so I wasn't really through losing weight, but I was pretty happy were I was. I maintained that weight for a couple of months pretty easily before I fell. I also was looking at this as a WOE, not a diet, but it was kind of surprising to me how that all feel apart once I had this injury. I was on pain meds for a while that required you take them with food, so fasting wasn't an option. Then when I stopped taking them, I just couldn't make myself go back to fasting for a while. I think it was the first day I stopped hurting that I realized I was ready to come back. It is good to feel well enough to do this again.
kbeagle wrote:
Lizbean wrote: Hi @kbeagle ...Before your accident were you maintaining successfully? I have been in maintenance for 5 months and all is going well so far - I view this way of eating as my choice - not a diet that has all the connotations of restrictions.

Before my accident, I had hit a plateau, so I wasn't really through losing weight, but I was pretty happy were I was. I maintained that weight for a couple of months pretty easily before I fell. I also was looking at this as a WOE, not a diet, but it was kind of surprising to me how that all feel apart once I had this injury. I was on pain meds for a while that required you take them with food, so fasting wasn't an option. Then when I stopped taking them, I just couldn't make myself go back to fasting for a while. I think it was the first day I stopped hurting that I realized I was ready to come back. It is good to feel well enough to do this again.

I guess you answered your question whether to fast in recovery with -" I think it was the first day I stopped hurting that I realized I was ready to come back". Copied in @AnnieD @Sallyo who both had recent accidents.
5 posts Page 1 of 1